Forums Latest Members
  1. Andy Feb 1, 2016

My wife and I were out to dinner the other night and a guy noticed my speedy (it's a 145022-68st) and asked if I would like to sell it. He asked how long I have owned it and I told him that I was the original owner but did not have the papers or box it came in. I was 19 years old when I got it and being young and dumb never thought about keeping the important things like paperwork and the original box. I had told him that it sat in my drawer since 1970 and that I just had it serviced last year at Nesbit's in Seattle,WA. I don't know if he was yanking my chain but he offered me 5K and asked if I had the 1039 bracelet for it which I told yes I do, but it is missing one link. He gave me a card with his name and phone number and said call me if you want to sell it. I've had this watch so long, I don't think I could ever part with it.

Etp095, Mad Dog and Hijak like this.
  2. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Feb 1, 2016

Don't do it !!!!

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. LawBrk Feb 1, 2016

Good thing you didn't since it may be a little cheap considering that a '68 with 1039/516 and no B&P just sold for $6700 on the Bay.

Almost can't believe it went that high, 6 months ago they were going for less than half that, the market is HOT HOT HOT.

Etp095 likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 1, 2016

After a less than amicable divorce some time ago I wanted to divest myself of things that reminded me of my old life.

Among other things I sold my 20 year old 1977 Rolex Submariner 5512 (or 5513), thinking at the time I'd made a good profit (4 x original cost).

I'd worn that watch almost 24/7 for a huge chunk of my adult life, it had become a part of me.

I only wish now that there had been a watch forum like this around so that I could have had some guidance from others before I made the decision.

Cash in the pocket now, regret in the heart later.

5. Malik713 Feb 1, 2016

I would ask yourself,"what is the endgame with this watch?" If you are going to be buried in it, then don't sell it. If you have your eye on something else, why not sell it at the top of it's market value?

Etp095 likes this.
  6. LawBrk Feb 1, 2016

My point was that if the OP had intention to sell them he would have been on the low side of the current market. If someone wanted to sell a Speedy, it seems that now may be the moment.

7. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Feb 1, 2016

Anyone offering you cash on spot knows the value of your watch and is hoping you don't most of the time. Keep it and enjoy

bb58, nlogax, Illiknight and 6 others like this.
  8. Malik713 Feb 1, 2016

I think he should sell, at the higher price if he can get it, if he was thinking about selling it down the road anyways.

Etp095 likes this.
  9. Malik713 Feb 1, 2016

BTW,

Luckily he didn't offer you an "indecent proposal " for the Mrs. Haha.

Andy likes this.
  10. igatomic Feb 1, 2016

It is hard to turn down the money for these watches...

If somebody offered me a reasonable market value for a face to face cash transaction (and with the US dollar at 40% premium) it would be hard to refuse. I could turn around and replace my 68 transitional with my birth year 71 speedmaster and probably have enough left over for another one in case I felt like wearing something different...

But, then again, if the watch has sentimental value, the price would have to be a lot higher...

Etp095 likes this.
  11. Mothra Feb 2, 2016

:)ok you lot. Own up, who was it???

bazamu, SpikiSpikester and flyingout like this.
  12. tyrantlizardrex Feb 2, 2016

How many people have thought that, and cashed out too soon though?

If any of us knew the future of the markets... Well yikes!

13. Andy Feb 2, 2016

I'm just glad that the price did not tempt me, and for having this watch since it was new there was no way I was going to part with it.

Illiknight, SpikiSpikester and Etp095 like this.
  14. Javi22 Feb 2, 2016

Good choice::rimshot::

15. sirish19 Feb 2, 2016

wise choice. Unless you are really pressed for money, given the sentimental value and the recent rise in desirability, I think you'll get more enjoyment out of it. Who knows, hopefully the value will continue to rise. I bought my '68 transitional less than a year ago so it doesn't really have any sentimental value (or DON or 1039 bracelet) but I think it's in pretty good condition and I got it for a great deal so I can't imagine selling it. I also kind of like the idea of my son (or perhaps grandson) having a 100 year old watch that was once owned by me.
    DSC_0486.jpg

Etp095 likes this.
  16. Andy Feb 2, 2016

I like that idea of passing it on to someone in the family. Nice looking speedy you have there.

sirish19 and SpikiSpikester like this.