Forums Latest Members

I guess I'm the new guy (speedmaster professional)

1. SpeedieMan Feb 16, 2018

Hi Everyone, I just got my very first Omega Speedmaster Professional delivered last night. So far, I'm impressed. I also have an Oris Big Crown (auto) and a Tag Heuer Link Chrono (quartz). My apple watch was acting up, so obviously I needed a replacement LOL.

I spent some time going through this site and I wanted to add my spin on a few of the issues that people have been discussing. The Speedmaster pro came in that gigantic (completely impractical) NASA box. I'm looking for one of those omega travel cases primarily to use as I pass through airport security so I don't scratch up (or lose) my new watch.

What is the purpose of that NASA metallic disk in the box?

My watch came on a leather strap with a deployment buckle, it also came with a NATO strap and the space suit strap which I will put to immediate use the second that NASA calls me up to go on my first space mission! (ok. thats not happening). The box was opened for approximately 1 minute before I took the leather band off the watch and installed the NATO strap. I know lots of guys here love the metal bracelet, it just doesn't do it for me. To each his own I suppose.

I got the Speedmaster from Jomashop. There seems to be a ton of opinions about dealing with them. I paid for the watch (in stock) on Sunday night and UPS dropped it off on Thursday. Not too bad!

As for the issue of warranty care versus getting repairs from non-authorized resellers: I bought the Oris 20 years ago and Tag Heuer 5 years ago from a company called Bernard Watch Company. Both were second hand watches and in both cases, I have never had to send them to Bernard for "warranty" service.

I did send the (now out of Bernard warranty) Tag Heuer back to the company for a teardown, refinish, clean - lube - adjust and a battery change after wearing it as my daily watch for $600.00. To review, a quartz watch service cost $600 dollars but it came back looking like new.

The Jomashop warranty that I got covers me for 4 years. Based on my past experiences with expensive watches, I am confident that 4 years will come and go and there will be no need to send my watch to Jomashop. In the end, I anticipate sending my watch in to Omega and paying 750 dollars just like everyone else in 5-7 years or more.

Lastly, I noticed that some guys are talking about losing 11 seconds per day. Just for my own curiosity, how are you calculating that?

Sorry for the long post. I love my new watch and this site is great! Thanks for all of the information that you have all shared.

Speedie.jpg
    Edited Feb 16, 2018
  2. Shailor Feb 16, 2018

Congratulations! I've had mine since 1992 and was the object of my desire since the sixties. I'm a bracelet guy, but to each their own. I will never part ways with mine and I hope you come to feel the same way. Again, congratulations!

SpeedieMan likes this.
  3. gdupree Feb 16, 2018

Congrats, and great first post. We've got some guys around here that know a great bit about speedmasters - I, however, just pretend. Stick around and we'll all learn a lot.

I will cast my vote, I love natos. I hear @UncleBuck loves them too ;)... But for real, watch out because the bracelet thing really grows on you. I haven't taken mine off it's 1171 bracelet for weeks, which I never would have dreamed of some time ago.

Foo2rama, SpeedieMan and oddboy like this.
  4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 16, 2018

You must mean nachos.

5. Kmart Feb 16, 2018

Personally I use an app called WatchTracker on iOS. Basically you just gather data points by comparing your watch to the actual time over a period. After 2 + data points you get an average rate. (+/- x seconds per day). Works great!

6. mikekchc Feb 16, 2018

Yay! Congrats on your new watch!
    Maybe it's my turn soon...

7. DG GW Feb 16, 2018

Welcome. I know what you mean about the boxes If I take up one more closet with watch boxes My wife may put me out on the street.

8. larryganz The cable guy Feb 16, 2018

Maybe it's a good thing my Speedy came in a red box - I have a whole shelf in the basement dictated to watch boxes...

9. Jerseyhammer Feb 17, 2018

Enjoy it