Forums Latest Members

I found a Longines watch a long time ago and would like to know more about it

1. shut-up-donny Feb 11, 2019

Nearly 20 years ago I was hiking in the Wicklow Mountains, Ireland and found a watch half buried in the snow. It was in its original leather wrist strap. The strap's metal buckle was quite rusted and it was not wearable. The watch itself seemed quite good. Although quite stiff, I could wind it and it ran well. Still does. Back then I bought the only leather strap I could find that would fit but it never really suited it so I eventually stopped wearing it.

I have tried a couple of times to trawl through some online Longines catalogs to find it but no success. The serial number does not to make much sense either. Using the serial number search sites didn't help either. The numbers on the back are in two lines. So am not sure which way to read this. I may have to remove the back cover to find the serial number

Anyway I'll post the pictures and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I'd really like to know the year and model.

Thanks everyone.
    Front Face.jpg
    Back (2).jpg Back.jpg Serial Number.jpg Wrist Strap (2).jpg Wrist Strap.jpg

2. Renton Feb 11, 2019

interesting find. Sharp eye - how did you managed to spot it partially buried in snow? you should definitely try requesting for the Longines Extract of Archives. It's free of charge and will tell you the details you are looking for.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 11, 2019

I can't help with the watch except to say don't wind or wear it until you have it serviced. It could have had moisture ingress and in 20 years any lubricants will have degraded and running the movement could cause problems.

Get thee to a watchmaker.

4. shut-up-donny Feb 11, 2019

Thanks. I just placed an order for some tools to correctly remove the back cover to find the serial number. I would hate to damage it trying to find this number. Then I'll send it off to Longines to find out what they have to say.

It's was actually a bit of a freakish find. I used to get Ordinance Survey maps, a compass and take the most direct route as possible to burial sites or cairns in the mountains. This day in particular I took tough route up a mountain, which at times had me crawling on my hands and knees under some dense trees. Half way up I thought, this is more hassle than a pile of stones is worth and randomly stopped in my tracks. I was looking down (thinking should I just abandon this hike) and my eye just focused on something odd at the base of a tree and to my huge surprise, it was this watch.

5. shut-up-donny Feb 11, 2019

Haha. I shall my good man!

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 11, 2019

Syrte, Tet, shut-up-donny and 4 others like this.
  7. redzer007 Feb 11, 2019

Keep us up to date, I'm local and I never find watches when walking in Wicklow .

8. Dan S Feb 11, 2019

Are we certain that the back comes off?

9. Sublime_1 Feb 11, 2019

shut-up-donny and bardamu like this.
  10. Mitka Feb 11, 2019

Looks like a font loading Monocoque cases to me. I might be wrong as I'm only looking at a photo, take it to a watchmaker and have him open it.

Btw what did you do with the body the strap was attached to?:taunt:

Syrte likes this.
  11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 11, 2019

Here is an expired eBay listing for a similar watch.

EB175947-C387-4E85-8D37-C2C5EEC01E9E.jpeg

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/162912280782Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

It is a front loading case.
    gatorcpa

shut-up-donny and Dan S like this.
  12. shut-up-donny Feb 12, 2019

Wow, bravo! That's get to be it. Thanks so much for finding it. Early 70's would have been my guess to from similar models I found but great to have it definate. I'll get onto Longines too for the final confirmation. Thanks again for the great work!

13. shut-up-donny Feb 12, 2019

Yeah, can't say I've ever had the same luck again. I'll post the response from Longines when they reply.

14. shut-up-donny Feb 12, 2019

Shut Up Donny.jpg

15. shut-up-donny Feb 12, 2019

I still have it. Completely unusable but a cool little item. Just sitting in a drawer with the watch now.

16. shut-up-donny Feb 12, 2019

Excellent work again. Thanks!

17. Jerseyhammer Feb 12, 2019

Here is a similar cased Longines. The watch has a hand-winding movement, calibre 428( from the 420 series) and the serial number 14,432,016 dates it back to 1967.

99690A4D-5D37-4A9B-854E-A2DB47B64312.jpeg

shut-up-donny likes this.
  18. Jerseyhammer Feb 12, 2019

Yes the case and strap should come off together to leave the whole movement separate I believe

19. shut-up-donny Feb 12, 2019

Hey thanks for that. Great find. I see from the other images in the auction site how I would have needed to separate the movement. I reckon I'll just give it over to an official repairer anyway. I trust myself not to wreck it.

Jerseyhammer likes this.
  20. Dan S Feb 12, 2019

Well, I'm not sure. I believe it may be a single-piece case and the movement comes out through the front. I wouldn't encourage the OP to attempt to remove the back unless he's absolutely sure.