Forums Latest Members
  1. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Dec 27, 2016

Hello all! Hope you've had/are continuing to have a good break!

Following on from the watch for my father saga, I was naturally drawn into relentlessly watching the sales pages to see if there was anything I might buy for myself.

I found the styling of the chronostop took my fancy and was watching them from there onwards.

Anyway, long story short, I bought myself the one you in the pictures here (clearly vintage is my thing given my tiny wrists!). My understanding is that all of the watch is original, unserviced and untouched (it was a 21st birthday present and I bought it from the recipient).

That said, you probably can't make it out in the picture, but the second/stopwatch hand looks quite clumsy so I was wondering whether tbhad been painted at some point. On the plus side, the omega marking is clear on the centre of the glass.

Anyway, at the risk of opening the flood gates, I'd welcome your thoughts!

IMG_4041.JPG IMG_4042.JPG
    Vitezi, TheKomoman, Jwit and 4 others like this.
  2. Edward53 Dec 27, 2016

I think the "clumsy" appearance is just due to the top of the original paint flaking off with age. I don't think it's anything to worry about and personally I would prefer it like this to a repainted hand.

Jwit likes this.
  3. Screwbacks Dec 27, 2016

looks nice with that bracelet. perhaps i should get one for my brown chronostop too.

4. Jaacck Dec 27, 2016

I like it, surprised somebody would sell there 21st birthday present. Surely the sentimental value is worth more than a few $

5. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Dec 27, 2016

I know what you mean, but the red looks clumsy in terms of it looking like it has thick paint on it rather than paint that has flaked off. I'll try to get a better picture.

6. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Dec 27, 2016

Yeah, I think so too. Lucky really because I had to set it on the smallest size and the buckle kept popping open. I assumed that it was broken and got a replacement Milanese from watchgecko. When I took it to be fitted, the guy was distressed that I'd consider replacing it and managed to fix it!

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  7. Speedmasterfan88 Dec 27, 2016

I like it! Bracelet is stunning, great choice as an entry watch into the vintage watch void!

How's your dads Ultrachron ticking? ;).

Cheers,

Max

8. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Dec 27, 2016

He loves it! He's considering a service to improve the time keeping but until we can find somewhere good/recommended, we're going to hang fire! He doesn't wear it all the time, but when he does, he always gets compliments. It really is incredibly striking!

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  9. tyrantlizardrex Dec 27, 2016

Lovely things to wear the geneve Chronostop!

Looks like original orange hand has been painted over with red paint (probably because they can fade quite badly).

New ones are available though an Omega Authorised watch maker, should you wish to correct its appearance.

Wear it in good health! :thumbsup:

10. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Dec 27, 2016

Good to know - weird thing to do because it really doesn't look like anything else has been done to it!

11. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Dec 27, 2016

I also think you're exactly right - I hadn't noticed that the original hands were orange and looking at mine now, it really is quite clearly red.

12. Speedmasterfan88 Dec 27, 2016

That's nice to hear :). Glad he's enjoying it!
    I bet someone on here can steer you in the right direction for a reputable watchmaker who services Longines in the UK.

I second what @tyrantlizardrex said about the chrono hand. I think STS is the place to go in the UK when it comes to vintage Omega. They should be able to replace the hand for you if you choose to do so.

tyrantlizardrex and hamster like this.
  13. tyrantlizardrex Dec 27, 2016

You see it on quite a lot of them - a quick fix to brighten things back up... often done long ago!

14. ulackfocus Dec 27, 2016

When I saw the title of the thread, I had to look twice at who the OP was because I thought he meant he finally changed his avatar. Usually, I like when members install their own picture in place of the one I assigned, but this is one of the few exceptions.

ps - NFW. Gotta love those racing dials.

15. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Dec 27, 2016

Whilst I have previously been tempted, I like it way too much! I don't know which other ones you've selected previously but this one combined with the caption make me smile every time I see them!

16. ulackfocus Dec 27, 2016

That used to be my mission. There's a very exclusive club of members who got assigned avatars / by-lines that they dig, like HeMan, SinisterRaccoon, and maybe a couple dozen more.

hamster likes this.
  17. SpeedyAV Dec 27, 2016

Nice buy man! I love the chronostop because it's a much simpler look than a true chronograph, but can (sort of) perform like one at the same time. Enjoy!

hamster likes this.
  18. Shibata Dec 27, 2016

Congrats! The bracelet looks great. Glad they were able to fix it for you. Enjoy it.

hamster likes this.
  19. TNTwatch Dec 27, 2016

Most of the lume dots on the right side of the dial have disappeared, either having fallen off naturally or been brushed off carelessly. In either case, there's no residue seen under the glass so the watch must have been opened previously.

Since you're not sure if the watch has been serviced recently, it's better to have it done properly for regular usage. It's a nice watch so enjoy.

20. U5512 Dec 27, 2016

Nice looking Omega....big Congrats!!!

hamster likes this.