Forums Latest Members

I do love you babe....I just can't afford you!

1. Just Livin Oct 9, 2016

It's not you. It's me.
    I do think you are very pretty.
    I love your face.
    I forgive your mismatched ends links (which don't appear original).
    I just am saving this kind of money for a 2998 (not the 2016 LE), who I know I will find one day, and in return I know will love me back.

I know you will get over this and most likely find someone else very soon:(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272406550420?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

2. Varnado Oct 9, 2016

I have to agree, she is a beauty :)

3. alam Oct 9, 2016

definitely a nice Speedy; priced at collector's grade, is it?

::popcorn::

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 9, 2016

Look at that bezel! Nice one.

5. Just Livin Oct 9, 2016

Yeah. Throw in the bracelet and that is indeed being priced at collectors grade.

There is a lot of love for this. The bezel for sure.

6. Varnado Oct 9, 2016

Coming from a Vintage Rolex background, for me a collectors piece HAS to be unpolished. I am not saying that refinished cases cannot be collectible or collector grade, but I look for original chamfers and the normal wear found on a watch that is 50-60 years old.

Next for me is Originality. How much of the watch is still original as it was the day it was sold. Of course, crystals, tubes, crowns, gaskets and in some cases pushers are all acceptable parts to be replaced during service. To expect an original crystal (for example) on a 60 year old watch is ridiculous. In fact, I have seen untouched sealed 60 year old crystals that just shatter when installed due to the brittleness of the hesalite after all the time. Crowns are another part that are "acceptable" to be replaced because the threads ultimately fail (Rolex). Speedmaster crowns can last "forever" in theory because they actually do not thread on to the tube, they only thread onto stems which may never fail either and are easily replaced.

I am a sucker for Tropical Dials. So much so that I only buy Tropical dial watches. I am not interested in any black dials because I find them to all be so common and with tropical dials each one is different and unique. Don't get me wrong, if I find a fantastic piece at a great price with a black dial I would buy it, but I would always be on the lookout for that chocolate dial to replace it with :)

Maybe and marturx like this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 9, 2016

Have we seen an Ed White break $20K? I know the brown dial adds some $$... will be interesting to see how it ends.

Just Livin likes this.
  8. Just Livin Oct 9, 2016

Its nothing I have seen. Am intrigued for that pure reason myself. I get the dial. I get the bezel. I get the bracelet. The plus $20K I haven't seen. Given there are no papers. No astronauts engravings. I am with you. A stack of followers on this. Keen to see if someone pulls the trigger.....::book::

9. Varnado Oct 9, 2016

There was an OF member who sold one to a Dealer I know who re-sold it for 26k. No bracelet, Incorrect Bezel, incorrect pushers, replacement crown...See attached Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 4.48.32 PM.jpg

Spacefruit and oddboy like this.
  10. Just Livin Oct 9, 2016

Doh. That dial and and lume are stunning. Bezel not so. ::facepalm1::

11. Varnado Oct 9, 2016

We need to ask Spacefruit to chime in on this topic because his site actually gives a price reference of 20k for a "collectable" 105.003. He doesnt specify the year (63,64,65) or if the dial is Tropical, which I assume will also effect value. I think it is an excellent resource and reference to use to get an idea of where prices should be.

12. Davidt Oct 9, 2016

I might be way off the mark on this, but while I think the dial is interesting and attractive to a degree, it's not in the same league as the genuine 'warm' brown tropical dials.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice. It's just not making me go weak at the knees like the dial on the watch @Varnado posted.

marturx, Traveler and Just Livin like this.
  13. Varnado Oct 9, 2016

I would agree that the dial in the watch I posted is probably more attractive due to its uniformity and lighter lume (personal opinion) but, if you add the bracelet and the perfect DON you have to agree that at the very least they should be priced the same. I dont think the dial I posted commands a 4-5k premium over the eBay watch (cost of DON and Bracelet). That watch sold for 26k so for 22k the watch on eBay is a bargain, so to speak :)

14. Just Livin Oct 9, 2016

I do like the watch. I think it has some nice qualities. Am not sure on the price. It does seem high to me. But the market in recent months seems to surprise.

15. Davidt Oct 9, 2016

Not for me. If I had the option of the watch you posted, head only, incorrect bezel, vs the ebay watch, DoN and bracelet for the same price, I'm going for the brown dial, even at several grand more. I can always add a DoN. It's in a different league altogether IMO.

Spacefruit likes this.
  16. Just Livin Oct 9, 2016

That's a good marker!

17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 9, 2016

I don't know brown / tropical enough to say much myself... I do like how some of these get those white rings around the subdials..

18. Varnado Oct 9, 2016

Well then, let me show off one of my chocolate wonders. I call her my Paul Newman Tropical with Ghost DON bezel.
    Can we agree that my watch is the loveliest of them all? :) I wouldn't sell her for 50k if you were wondering.. IMG_4047 ed.jpg

19. Varnado Oct 9, 2016

Every one is different, which is why they are all so interesting. ANY tropical in nice condition is worth more (to me) than its non Tropical equivalent. Thats why putting a price on them is so difficult, because what makes one person "go weak in the knees" may not make someone elses knees go as weak :)

Spacefruit likes this.
  20. Davidt Oct 9, 2016

Agreed!