Forums Latest Members

I can't decide if this Constellation dial is original; a chance to learn.

1. ossfm Feb 16, 2016

Hello everyone, As you can see this is my first post. I joined last week to PM with a seller. Now I am waiting on that Constellation to arrive at my doorstep. I'm very excited! Thank You to OF for providing the market place and the chance to learn more and to the seller for his patience.

This is my first first vintage watch, first Omega watch, first Constellation model and first gold watch, capped or otherwise. That's a lot of firsts there. At least it's not my first mechanical watch. That was an Orient Mako USA at New Years.

I've spent a lot of time reading Desmond's Constellation Collectors blogspot. I'm amazed and excited that he has amassed so much information about the watch on which I've chosen to focus my studies for a while.

As I was searching the internet for Constellations, I came across a 168.005 in an 18K case. From what I can tell, it is in very good condition for it's age (just a few years more than me). The case seems good, the edges are not polished away, the crystal has the Omega mark, the movement seems clean, the hour aperture is chiseled, the minute and seconds hands are the right length, the medallion is nice, etc.

My first impression was this is an original watch. I went with that for a while. Something kept nagging me though. I didn't really know what. So I looked closer and tried to find some more pictures of the correct dial. The trouble is, when you search the 'net for those pictures, you get results that are correct and some that are incorrect. The questions remain. Maybe Desmond answered the question already.

The more I thought about it, the more I thought something might not be right. I'd like to hear your collective opinions. That seems to be the only way for me to settle the issue.

Here's what I think is questionable:
    1. It fails the MOY test. I think the "O" is a tad too far to the left and the "Y" is more than a tad too far to the right.
    2. The spacing/kerning is off. The font for "AUTOMATIC" seems ok. The tops of the "A"s are cut off, but the spacing is too narrow. That word should take up the same lateral space as the applied "OMEGA". The same thing with "CHRONOMETER"; the spacing is not wide enough.
    3. Shouldn't there be an hour marker at 3 o'clock?
    4. There are printed black marks at the ends of the hour indices. I'm not sure they're supposed to be there.
    5. The dial seems just a bit too clean for its age.

Then again, maybe all this stuff is normal variation and care. With my limited knowledge to this point, that could very well be the case.

I'm not trying to point out that a redial is being advertised as original. I'm really just trying to expand my knowledge and get better at judging originality. If I didn't have any concerns about originality, I might have bought it instead. To top it all off, the movement number is in the third group of consecutive 100K with "exceptional results". I would really like to have one of those. At least I think I would; I'll know better when my starter Connie gets here! I hope it looks as good on the wrist as I imagine it will.

Here's a link to the full listing:
    http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=7202200&rid=0

Thanks in advance for the discussion.

Screenshot from 2016-02-16 20:48:13.png

shaun hk likes this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 16, 2016

I am afraid you have merely found a very nice good condition watch. The case is good, not crisp new, but very decent. There does not seem to be a problem with the rest of the watch too. Not all 168.005s have an hour marker at 3.
    [​IMG]

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 16, 2016

My gold cap with the same dial Star1.jpg

4. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Feb 17, 2016

Not in a bad condition (looks better in the pictures below). Good thick lugs. Not 100% crisp, but still very good (especially for a gold one). Dial is a handsome chap.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Samir and ahartfie like this.
  5. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Feb 17, 2016

Below is mine for comparison. Mine is 14k, which is perhaps a little tougher kind of gold.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

ahartfie, X350 XJR and ConElPueblo like this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 17, 2016

Dial looks good, but for $3,500, I would expect an unpolished case. The back on this example was harshly polished in order to make it seem like a matte finish. This is what it should look like:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.
    gatorcpa

PS - Ref. 168.006 is the deluxe version with the gold dial.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 17, 2016

Gator raises a good point about the price, it is a bit high.

Back lathing may have been to remove a personalized inscription. A good watch maker can do a better job.
    [​IMG]

8. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Feb 17, 2016

BTW -- What is exactly the difference between the references 168.005 and 168.005/6?

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 17, 2016

Stated by Gator, Deluxe, gold (solid) dial. upload_2016-2-17_8-55-30.jpeg

10. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Feb 17, 2016

So a 168.005/6 is supposed to be a Deluxe? I find that hard tot believe, because almost every solid gold 168.005 is stamped 168.005/6, even the 14k gold ones:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 17, 2016

One stamp

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 17, 2016

Constellation
    Calendar De Luxe

BA 168.0006

Features

International collection

Dimensions
    Case
    18K solid yellow gold

Case Back Type

Screw-in

Dial

De Luxe, "Pie-pan" type, solid gold with onyx inserted hour markers, "Dauphine" gold hands, and gold central sweep-second hand.

Crystal

Armoured hesalite

Bracelet

Leather

Function
    Movements
    Type

Automatic chronometer certified

Caliber Number

Other

Created in 1958
    24 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand

TECHNICAL DATA
    [​IMG]

13. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Feb 17, 2016

I don't understand your post Cicindela.

is the 168005/6 supposed to be a Deluxe, or a 168.0006?

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 17, 2016

No, the Ref. 168.005 is the normal dial and the Ref. 168.006 is the deluxe. There is no such thing as a Ref. 168.005/6, it's shorthand.

The dimensions of both cases are exactly the same, even if the case metal (14K vs. 18K) isn't.

It was a cost saving measure by the contractor that Omega apparently agreed to.
    gatorcpa

Samir likes this.
  15. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Feb 17, 2016

Thanks gator, I get it now.

16. nickw Feb 17, 2016

Arg why would someone polish the caseback like that. Sad.

17. ossfm Feb 17, 2016

Interesting conversation so far. I was wondering about the concentric swirl marks on the back. I didn't think about removal of an inscription.

Do people actively try to get rid of the texture in the sky behind the stars? So many of them have this feature completely missing. Maybe it's just from wear, but that is a lot of wear.

BartH, are both of those watches yours? Wow, they look like they just left the factory. I see what you mean.

Gatorcpa, now that is a medallion!

Allowing for this much variation is going to make it tough to judge authenticity. When I perceived the spacing differences, I thought that was a dead give away. All these "shades of gray" variances are difficult for my black/white engineering brain to deal with :).

Thanks you again for all your input. You guys are great. My brain is soaking it up for future reference.

18. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Feb 17, 2016

It's one and the same watch (albeit with two different crowns).

However, I do think the TimeZone Connie is quite attractive. But quite expensive given the condition.

19. cristos71 Feb 17, 2016

For reference here´s my 18kt 168.006 Deluxe

073 (2).jpg
    076.JPG

ahartfie and Peemacgee like this.
  20. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Feb 17, 2016

Nice, Cristos.