Forums Latest Members

I bought/may buy/my dad gave me(delete as applicable)a quite boring Omega, can you tell me about it?

1. simonsays Dec 29, 2018

AC177BF3-A804-4A6C-86E1-3E10CFF1AD9E.jpeg Is this the kind of thread that doesn’t get shut down here. Yawn!

2. chipsotoole Dec 29, 2018

Agreed it's boring....looks 70's..not sure about the crown. Case and dial are in good nick. You'll see the exact reference number on the inside of the case lid. I'm guessing it has a quartz movement which will make it doubly boring. If it means nothing to you, try and flog it for 100 Euros and put the money towards something nicer...

3. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 29, 2018

Yes I can tell you lot's about your lovely watch and it most certainly is not boring!!!:thumbsup:

It was bought in a shop in Peru about 80 years ago, it was first used to time Llama racing, in The Andes, but then one of the Incas stole it:eek:.... and took it to the Amazon rain forest, where it was dropped into the Amazon and swallowed by a 'fakkin great' Aligator in Brazil. Crocodile Dundee's mate, Alligator Alf, wrestled it and as he punched the killer beast in the jaw your watch miraculously slid up his wrist.

Alf then took it to back to Australia where he went 'Walkabout'. He stripped off to the waist to box a kangeroo. The evil 'roo' saw the watch laying on Alf's clobber, popped it into his pouch, kicked Alf in the 'bollocks' and hopped off to Sydney to watch the Cricket. He didn't have any money to buy a ticket but the man on the gate accepted the watch instead. The following week the man flew back home to Uganda, bought a dug out canoe, and paddled down the mighty Zambezi river! Splish Splosh! He went over Victoria falls and was killed.

A lion saw him washed up on the river bank, and began to eat him,swallowing the watch in one gulp! A week later the lion was captured by Idi Amin and sent to Alaska as a present for his Eskimo cousin. The poor lion caught a nasty chill, coughed up the watch, and it sat on a table, in a corner of the Igloo, for 20 years until it was stolen by a Russian ballet dancer. He popped it into his tight ballet trousers, where it remained for years. Each night at as they toured across Europe the watch ticked away in his pants. One night during a show in Paris he kicked his leg and the watch flew out and hit Princess Diana on the nose. It bounced down, into her handbag and was last seen on Prince Harry's wrist. He loved that watch and told me personally "I will never part with it!"::love::

So!......Now!.... you've got some explaining to do mate?????:mad:

Edited Dec 29, 2018
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 29, 2018

Are you perchance sulking because the thread where you disagreed with the entire forum got locked? I don’t think posting spam threads will endear you to the management but it has exercised @nonuffinkbloke to a flight of fancy at least so not entirely time wasted!

kov, Larry S and Reddy_Kilowatt like this.
  5. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 29, 2018

It's all true @padders! I used to live 5 miles from Windsor Castle and Prince Harry told me!

6. chipsotoole Dec 29, 2018

Fakkin’ ‘Ellova good story!

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 29, 2018

I used to take tea with Idi Amin when he was in Toronto and remember the watch well, said Eskimo wasn't an actual cousin though, Idi just treated him well to get his kyack repaired on the cheap.

I always assumed the Omega was a fake because the only other thing you ever saw him wearing was a terrible quartz powered Cartier knock off.

8. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 29, 2018

So who we gonna believe @Fritz? A Royal Prince of England or an Evil, murdering, dictator who eats his enemy's vital organs? ::confused2:: ........................::confused2::....I'm going with Idi's version.::shy::

Reddy_Kilowatt likes this.
  9. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 29, 2018

Said prince is a known collector of Submariner knock offs...

Just sayin, you know

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 29, 2018

I'll take a double-pint of whadeva-the-FAKK you had mate...it sounds oh-so-delicious! Cheers :thumbsup:

(Actually that is a redial ... originally it was given as a gift to the Gadaffi harem camel tamers with his face painted on the dial ... that's what is peeking through the 2nd rate redial)...

Fritz and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  11. Reddy_Kilowatt Dec 29, 2018

You gents spin quite a yarn.

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 29, 2018

This watch is officially no longer boring.

13. simonsays Dec 29, 2018

Too true. If you cannot discuss subjects like this in an Omega forum then where? I am not sure if you can speak for the entire forum @padders. To me it seems there are 4 of 5 regulars who like to pat themselves on the back regardless of the validity of the comments made.
    Wether or not my assertations are right or wrong is really immaterial. But in the case in point there is no solid evidence either way so a chance to re look at the subject and see what thoughts comes to light is valid.

But if you prefer an echo chamber.....

14. simonsays Dec 29, 2018

Fritz and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  15. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 29, 2018

That's OK Simon. Don't take it seriously. They're not a bad bunch of chaps. Just a bit of light hearted stuff now and again, until some serious watch related issue arises.:) I had half hour before taking my missus shopping, so I thought I would spice up your De ville story a bit mate.::shy::

On a serious note: I've always quite liked that case shape, with it's uncluttered dial. Some times less is more, but I reckon they should have put a wider diameter crown on that model.

Edited Dec 29, 2018
  16. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 29, 2018

Poor Simon, but hey, your watch will never be boring again.