Forums Latest Members
  1. rogart ray it again, Ram. Apr 14, 2015

Ya ya . I wasn't how i think . I just thought i will do the best for me :) . I understand how they think in some way.

2. rogart ray it again, Ram. Apr 14, 2015

I will do. Thanks @SpikiSpikester . U now when have thought something out i my head . And when that doesn't work as i thought i get irritated . Maybe it's some kind of syndrom .But i will get over it . And i am on it again and again .

3. rogart ray it again, Ram. Apr 14, 2015

But even the big has to start somewhere ?

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 14, 2015

True, but not sure relevant. This is not a life quest, you just want a watch serviced.

I suppose if you call them direct as suggested above and sign a contract for specified services they should be able to help, then you may be able to do the same for the movement.

But I wouldn't take either option as a reflection on you, big, small or in between. They have their business practices and you have your needs, if they align great, if not look at your options rather than on changing their model.

This is starting to sound like a Strindberg play

Edited Apr 14, 2015
  5. rogart ray it again, Ram. Apr 14, 2015

Yes of course i can sign an agreement . I don't now where you are from ? But i think we Swede people as myself does think in that way ? We doesn't have the risk of getting sued if something goes wrong . I am not so afraid if something goes wrong in that way . I will have to pay for the broken parts but i never have to be afraid of getting sued.

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 14, 2015

The problem is not them suing you but you (or any customer similarly situated) suing them!

7. rogart ray it again, Ram. Apr 14, 2015

If they have done something for me in the past. And i think they did a great job. I would trust them doing the same again. If something goes wrong in the work. They would have to replace the part. But never more then that. That isn't to much to ask for.

8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 14, 2015

Depends what the part is and who did the damage.

If I send you my watch and you do some work and then you send it to someone else that messed it up... And then I say, " well, I sent it to you so I make you responsible how would you feel? You would of course say the other guy did it, and they would say they didn't. So then I make you liable and you make them liable and we all start spending time and resources sorting it out.

Now you're a business that takes thousands of watches a year, and makes this exception maybe 10% of the time, so now you're potentially facing 100 litigation proceedings. You have a legal department of course or outsource one on retainer that will charge for each letter/ email/ call they take. Because of course you don't have the time to manage a business and enter 100 litigations by yourself.

Or

You don't make exceptions

Or

You make sure your scope of work is clarified on contract so you're only accountable for it. Specify if you know the client is definitely sending it out again for service to amother house.

Either way you protect yourself. But hey, maybe you'll call them and they won't ask for anything, won't know until you do.

I'm from Spain but i live in NYC. Here you sue the weather man if it rains. :whipped:

9. proximal Apr 14, 2015

That's exactly the problem. If Electric gets the case from STS and something happens, Electric could just say they received it that way from STS. Or maybe it gets lost/damaged in shipping. There are a lot of scenarios where STS could be liable in your arrangement, moreso than if they were to just deal with you and you only.

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 14, 2015

So you say, but that's your word and intention now. What if they mess up the dial and have to pay for a new dial... You then argue the watch, which was worth x amount for collectors is now devaluated so they owe you 10g

I just dropped 2 watches for service with IWC. Just to look at then and keep them in house they insured them for 12 g one for 9 the other for 3.

As of yet they are not leaving for Texas, they're in a box, in a lab, but they're not taking chances because they know one of them is a valuable LE and cannot be replaced just as is. That is good business.

rogart likes this.
  11. rogart ray it again, Ram. Apr 15, 2015

If i had such expensive watches .I would be very afraid somebody messed it up . If so i would have a insurance that would cover everything . And i would only get the best people i now that could work on them . Not any different just more money involved .
    I a tricky one this . And i understand all of your answers . I have slept on it . I think in an other way today . I have no rush and i will be good in the end . I will contact STS again to see if we can arrange something .

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 15, 2015

I may be wrong, but I don't think insurance will cover damage made by a third party that is taking on the responsibility for repair or maintenance. The companies insurance might, don't think your would. They would make the repair company liable, as they should.

Anyway, let's hope for the best and see what STS answers. Good luck!!

rogart likes this.
  13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 15, 2015

This is my new favorite watchmaker, CMW21, teaches as well. Last watch I received from him, a WWI-era Fererro 15 jewel, came back keeping time to 5 seconds a day. I think he's the only watchmaker in modern times to actually take the time to adjust it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cornerstone-Service-Center/217699081638095

Tom

rogart likes this.
  14. rogart ray it again, Ram. Apr 15, 2015

Thanks will check it out. Does he have a website.

15. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 15, 2015

No, he doesn't.

Tom

16. lenny Apr 15, 2015

Don't send the speedsonic to someone who doesn't have any experience with those movements.

How about sending it to electric watches just for the movement service. Then, get it back and wear it for a while. For all you know, you might not feel any motivation to get the case refinished. There's no hurry and it's not exactly an investment grade watch.

rogart likes this.
  17. rogart ray it again, Ram. Apr 15, 2015

That is true . I bought it for $1000 and if i invest in a service i could get maybe $150 for it if i sell . Maybe that is . I have seen they go for around there on Ebay . So investing an other in refurbishing the case ? Maybe that only lowers the value to . As i understand on speedys .It's better to have a battered case then a refubished one . So i will keep as is and service the movement for now .And change the day ring for an english one . It does work anyway . Would be great with a swedish day ring ?

18. lenny Apr 15, 2015

I've learned the hard way that you should be pretty certain that you want to wear a watch before doing a full blown service. Because sometimes, after you get it back, it will just sit in the watch box and collect dust. If it's for "investment"/flipping, it's one thing, but it's pretty pointless unless you are sure you will wear it.

As far as case refinishing, I had it done with my beat up flightmaster, and to be honest, I regret it. I won't be doing that again. There's nothing wrong with an old watch looking used. 30 years ago, these things were important everyday devices, unlike now where they are just (borderline anachronistic) luxury items.

rogart likes this.
  19. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 15, 2015

If you do choose to send it to Wes at Cornerstone, he has extensive experience with tuning fork movements.

Tom

rogart likes this.
  20. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 15, 2015

Personally, I would get Paul to service it as it is. Get it back; wear it and then decide if you want to send the case off to STS. All you will then be responsible for is the uncasing, storage and re-casing of the movement and 100% of the liability will rest with you - as it should do.

lenny, rogart, Archer and 1 other person like this.