Forums Latest Members
  1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 4, 2015

So, one of the side-effects of focusing a collection on a single brand or even a single reference (((cough))) my main man barking mad (((coughs))), is that you start to accumulate bits and pieces, whether you like it or not.

So, long story boring: I have a perfect condition EP movement , a really clean dial w/ correct hands. Only "issue" is the dial was lightly re-lumed at some point but that's not a big negative. The movement and dial are wrapped in a beat-up-piece-of-crap chrome plated case. Blech.

Solution: I have a true NOS 40 micron 14k case which was a factory option for this dial and hands (that's why the hands are brown). This is period correct and acceptable for this reference. I even have the corect SYG 14k crown (IS NICE-a!!).

No interest in selling this rig - it would be for my own "collection". I'm not dealing with any large amount of money here either - maybe, maybe...its a 750 / 800 dollar watch when I'm done - but it'll look sweet in my stable...

So, is this OK? My watchmaker says I'd be crazy not to do it. He said I should (must) use the original case-back.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Northernman likes this.
  2. John R Smith Apr 4, 2015

Yes, of course Rich. Go for it :thumbsup:

citizenrich likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2015

You laid out a good case.

citizenrich likes this.
  4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 4, 2015

/see what you did there

:thumbsup:

5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 4, 2015

Well, you can worry about what people think and worry about the strict originality of the piece and then there's the moral issues involved in the future of the blaa blaa blaa... bblaa...bllaaaaa blalaaablabla...... aw piss on it.

It'll be friggin beautiful.... why do you hesitate man! You know you wanna! Throw the switch Igor!

cicindela, citizenrich and rhetoric like this.
  6. ulackfocus Apr 4, 2015

I say go for it. The only issue I have, like most other watchoholics, is a seller that tries to pass off a franken as original. If it's for personal use, have at it man.

citizenrich likes this.
  7. flw history nerd Apr 4, 2015

IT'S ALIVE!! Bwaahahahaha!

I say do it ...

citizenrich likes this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2015

Oh, and get some gold hands or re-blued

9. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 4, 2015

Do it to it.

10. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 4, 2015

While I agree it would look nicer that way, Gallet only used gold hands and gold indices on solid gold cases. I have a couple of 37mm 14k used cases and (3) or (4) sets of gold hands and batons.

Gallet is sort of the opposite of every other watch company. They focused on producing some of the finest chronograph movements of the time. Some watchmakers go so far as to say Excelsior Park were among the finest chronograph movements, period.
    Dunno about that.
    But, what I do know is that the rest of the watch wasn't the same quality as their movements. Not by a mile.

Gallet's market was accurate time keeping, especially stopwatches, which required steel ( and, more steel). They hardly made any luxury watches.

The dials were utilitarian, practical and aptly named:

Decimal
    Multichron
    Pilot
    Yachting
    Nursing
    Medigraph
    Navigator
    Diver

The applied radium on a gallet dials usually looks like it was the tradecraft of a distracted 15 year old. Perhaps it was.

I've been told I have some of the finest examples of original Gallet tool watches in the word #humblebrag but even the cleanest dials are pretty plain Jane...especially compared to watchmakers who focused on fine dial work.

Edited Apr 5, 2015
    John R Smith likes this.
  11. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 4, 2015

Here's an extremely scarce Gilt Dial Multichron in mint condition. Yes, this is mint, for Gallet.

This dial is 100% original and untouched (not re-lumed).

See what I mean? That's the way tinted radium was applied by Gallet?? If I had to guess, their watchmakers brushed the radium on by hand... Poor men probably had mad hatters disease

I'm going to research this.

*edit the 38mm Multichron is untouched and I've been told by more than a few pro's that's it's one of the finest examples they've seen in person...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Edited Apr 4, 2015
  12. alam Apr 4, 2015

::popcorn:: waiting to see the outcome of such a monster fabrication :D BTW, nice case!

citizenrich likes this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 4, 2015

I'm torn between the two horns of a dilemma.

I'd like you to keep the original dial/face/hands combo, but I understand your revulsion with the current case.

Options?

Re-plate the crud case (problematic, chrome would have to be removed).

Strip and re-chrome the gold case (lots of work, outcome may not produce those beautiful sharp features).

Whatever you do, I'm sure it'll still be with that beautiful movement ticking away inside (of which we must see, pics please!).

This brings me to my penultimate point, "you don't judge a book by its cover".

And finally, beauty is beyond skin deep, all that glitters is not gold etc etc.

citizenrich likes this.
  14. John R Smith Apr 5, 2015

They were probably women, not men (using treble '0' sable brushes). And sadly, many of them would have got mouth cancer.

Edited Apr 6, 2015
    citizenrich likes this.
  15. chickenman26 Apr 6, 2015

Google "radium girls."

16. Drawarms Apr 6, 2015

Do it bro

17. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 6, 2015

Oh yes you are ::bleh::

In all seriousness though, as has been said, it's your watch and you are free to do with it as you see fit. You would, of course, be vilified by this community if you ever tried to sell it as something it wasn't - although there are many examples on eBay that are just that and no matter how open you are, you cannot be held responsible for the acts of a charlatan in the future, if you were to sell it with full disclosure.

Personally, I say do it.

18. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 6, 2015

Go for it. It will be a VERY nice watch. If you later decides to sell just be open about it having been re-cased.
    Gotta love those EP movements!
    IMG_8310.JPG
    Cheers and good luck with the project. Do post updates!:thumbsup: