Forums Latest Members
  1. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 23, 2014

I took my new to me 67 Speedy along with a new crystal and chrono second hand to the watch guy in Riyadh that I use to do minor things. Requested the second hand swap and crystal change. "No! no need to renew the crystal I can buff it like new" , I said are you sure and he reassured me all would be good. Job done, get home tonight all happy and think I will take a pic for the forum. During the course of loading the pictures onto my computer I noticed the bezel.:mad: Followed by:( Anybody got a DON bezel in decent shape that they would like to part with?

yesterday:)

image.jpg

Today:(

image.jpg

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 23, 2014

Holy erasure Batman! Sorry to see it turn out that way - just pretty sloppy work.

3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 23, 2014

So what does he owe you for that piece of craftsmanship ?

4. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jun 23, 2014

what the...

5. pitpro Likes the game. Jun 23, 2014

Sorry for your misfortune.
    Would it help if I said it's not that bad?
    Looks like he cleaned up the hour plot markers also

Barking mad likes this.
  6. Siac Jun 23, 2014

Wow! His name needs naming and then he can stay doing "minor things"... 'cos he'll only get trusted with plastic Casio's from then on!!!

7. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 23, 2014

This country probably the pleasure of telling me to get out of his shop when he sees how angry I am. Serious though, if anybody has one I will pay a very fair price. This will just drive me crazy looking at it.

8. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 23, 2014

I asked him to give them a very light brush to see if what was there came of easily. I suppose I am lucky he didn't F@#* the dial.

9. pitpro Likes the game. Jun 23, 2014

well, the silver lining is the dial looks better

10. stefan Jun 23, 2014

Oh no, that's so sad, these timepieces are delicate and need to be treated like babies.

11. dragoman Jun 23, 2014

I know how I felt when an original blue dialed Geneve Dynamic came lead gray from the watchmaker, so you must feel like ::censored::

The worst part (at least in my case) is that they do their things and do not say a word about it, in the hope that we do not see it, I suppose...

12. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 23, 2014

I had a genuine NOS Zenith Defy that I took to a watchmaker who I had successfully used before. After six weeks (4 quoted) a friend picked it up for me (they hadn't let me know it was ready) The watchmaker wasn't in the shop and his wife found it buried under a pile of papers on his desk. The back still had the purple snot on it but the flats were butchered and the bracelet was damaged. Putting it on my timing machine, it was running at + 187 seconds per day and a beat error of 5.7 ms. So it went from having some radiation burns on the dial to being fecked. I would have gone back and complained (more likely punched his lights out) but I put the £150 down to bitter experience and I will NEVER use or recommend him again. It turns out, he subbed out the work and hoped that, if he didn't let me know it was ready, I might forget about it.

13. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 23, 2014

I've been looking for one for a long time. I would be beyond upset to get that back looking like that. I'm angry now!
    All the bezels I've seen are attached to perfectly good watches. Maybe you'll have better luck!

JohnSteed likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 23, 2014

Oh! Not good!

JohnSteed likes this.
  15. Davidt Jun 23, 2014

Ah crap! That would boil my ?!££. Put the hard yards in to find a nice example only for someone who should know better to spoil it. Still, looking at the positives, it's original and it's not horrible by any means.

Goes to to show how important it is to have trustworthy, knowledgeable watchmakers.

Good luck with the search.

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 23, 2014

Sorry to see that mate.
    Pity it wasn't back here. At least you could have smacked him, over there though :(

citizenrich likes this.
  17. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jun 23, 2014

take a better close up. did he buff too hard on the metal part of the bezel and did grind it down to be thicker than the rest or did he touch the bezel insert and erased parts of the rim on the insert itself ? might be able to rescue it....... kind regards. achim

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 23, 2014

To me, it looks like he may have taped over the bezel to "protect" it from whatever work was being done on the crystal. When the tape came off, so did a small part of the printing.

Either the bezel should have been totally removed (risky) or the crystal polishing should have been done carefully by hand with no tape at all.
    gatorcpa

19. JohnSteed Jun 23, 2014

I think you SHOULD BE able to at least FLOG the perpetrator! Almost cried reading this .... But time is on your side to get another, rare though these seem

20. timeismoney Jun 23, 2014

Sorry to see that, BM...that hurts just looking at it :(