Forums Latest Members

I am considering a Rolex Datejust 1601.

1. jalfreem Sep 20, 2017

After watching the recent Hodinkee Talking Watches with Jack Nicklaus, I have been inspired to research and price a Rolex 1601. I am sure that this is a redundant thread, but as I am new to this forum, and wanting to participate in a more researcher, collector, hobbiest/enthusiast way, I wanted to post.

As this is a fresh post for me, and wanting to approach this subject distinct from my goals of finance and stewardship, I am wanting to get back to my original watch interest more as a fan of "classic" design, myth, and ethos. To enjoy a watch.

I have, on another forum, written in circles my own personal philosophy of utility vs Veblen and luxury compared to my goals of monetary stewardship, that I had only focused on why a Rolex SubC was the logical grail for myself and that I couldn't justify spending that amount of money on one at this point in my life, let alone my perceptions of offending others with a "luxury" watch on my wrist. With that.... I have come to realize that I want and will use a good watch, and that watch doesn't have to be a SubC, yet can still be a Rolex. I had completely focused on New prices, and forgot that Rolexes from when Rolex began, are still ticking along, and that great value is there in the vintage pieces that aren't the Subs, Explorers, and Daytonas. If Jack Nicklaus is still wearing his one and only watch, a gold Day Date, throughout his career and as an active sportsman, than a less costly Rolex from the same era can fit the bill too. Plus, for my fears, it would look aged, classic, a "grey suit" blend in kind of way, small and wouldn't draw attention to itself. Plus as I am not a diver, nor would I dive with a Sub anyway, after a good service and gaskets replaced, be water tight and could get wet if it had too. I'm just throwing out thoughts on why not purchase a 1601 to own a classic timepiece that can be a great daily wearer that gives me a connection to the hey day of golfing and sports legends, without breaking the proverbial "bank?" To be blunt, I really want to buy a Rolex (fan boy) and I don't want to go above $3500. Would the 1601 do the job?

2. WatchVaultNYC Sep 20, 2017

Well a 1601 is a good place to start. Its probably the model most recognizable to the masses, and if you're looking for a non-color dial, plentiful and dirt cheap in the Rolex scheme of things. In my opinion, its pretty legit to with collectors. You can get a really good example below the $3500 mark.

The only cons, I would think, is that your $3500 budget gets you into Explorer territory as well.

3. Uniqez Sep 20, 2017

That budget is definitely getting you to Explorer's territory. Explorers (I and II) are definitely watches that could be an awesome daily wearers. I have no regrets about buying mine. [​IMG]

chows99, Omega1, GeorgeT11 and 2 others like this.
  4. morningtundra Sep 20, 2017

Plenty of nice examples in your budget. If history and heritage interest you look into the 1625 (Thunderbird Turn O Graph)... I think this is a potential sleeper.

tyrantlizardrex and Foo2rama like this.
  5. jalfreem Sep 20, 2017

Thank you for your comments, but after annoying a lot of fellow watch enthusiasts on the other forum, from considering Seiko turtles to mm300, Omega SMPc, and Subs, I would like to stay on the 1601 for this. Along with pontificating about frugality and budget mindedness. (Since then I've sold a lot of "stuff" sitting around and taking up space in an effort to minimize possessions, which has brought in more reserves than I thought would) Bringing back the idea of obtaining a 1 watch collection that would last and be the only one I would ever need, yet is hidden in plain sight. Like how all the elders of my town who use my business wear two tone Seiko "Datejust" designs or Gold colored Citizens. The two actual Rolex Datejusts I've noticed in my small town are 2 tone. So I think a steel 1601 or the above mentioned turn o graph, would blend in, especially on various straps along with a jubilee.

Anyway, I've gone from owning a Tudor black bay and a Nomos Orion, that didn't have dates and eventually sold because I can't stop looking at my watch for the date. I know all the fans of no dates are concerned with dial layout, but I want the function of a date. I know that the Explorer 2 or 16800 Sub would work too, but for the moment, I'm looking at parameters of something not out of place with a suit. I wear one daily. One way I plan to deflect attention from this watch is by having it "fit" with a suit. I want to adhere to some style decorum, even though I know I could wear anything with a suit. A Datejust seems practical and "business" like. Also, I think I can get into the 1601 on a hard budget of up to $3500, with a recent service. 1016 explorers or 14270s, and the Explorer 2, seem to be going into $4k plus. Basically the best option at the most affordable price in good condition.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 20, 2017

May I ask your age? Before I write a reply with a newer perspective.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  7. jalfreem Sep 21, 2017

After the most recent hacking of everything, I'm not going to provide my age, but I do wear a suit all the time and I have a varying work schedule where I get into inclement weather and rugged situations.

My thoughts on this was first, I had a Seiko Sarb033 that after a year of ownership had gone wonky with accuracy and positional variation. I sent it for service, and had it not been under the international warranty, would have been over $300. So I had a $300 watch I would have had $600 in it. A great sized dress/office watch, yet as a watch and horology nerd, I knew that I wouldn't be happy with the sometimes goofy accuracy and servicing needs. Badically I think it's luck of the draw with 6r15 movements. The watches look good, but the movement may be way off.

Basically I needed a higher quality alternative to a Seiko Sarb. Grand Seiko, having to go back to Japan for service, makes me hesitant with that brand too. With Rolex, I'm in a few hours driving distance of a Rolex AD and is Level 5 Rolex service center.

I also like the Nomos Club, but I want a date, and since the manual wind date is the "older days" of advancing the time to change the date, and annoying, I thought of the auto version, which I think is too big at 41mm. Maybe Nomos would add date to the Club with the new neomatik movement at 38mm, but then there is the price of it $3160. This is used Datejust territory. Hence the return to Rolex....

Back in the day, 5 years ago, I had wanted the Omega Aqua Terra. But after seeing it in the flesh, I didn't like it. I had purchased an Explorer 214270 as an alternative to a new Datejust and the Sub. But I eventually fell out of love with it due to its middle of the road look and no date. Not too tool, not too dressy. So I flipped it for a Tudor BBB, and liked it for a while until I realized that for a diver I wanted the Sub, not the inhouse bloated (to my renewed perspective) alternative, and again no date. With my Nomos Orion, it was beatiful, but I felt it too delicate for the situations I get into.

Which has brought me to the Rolex Datejust, and the 1601, very budget friendly, classic design, ubiquitous in watchdome, many variations, and a reputable reliably rugged movement that should last me a while. A good watch. That's all I really want is a good, as ethically possible manufactured watch, that is the most affordable that I can afford. I'm not going for a Sub until I'm financially independent, but after selling my watches and a bunch of other stuff I've collected over the years, I can spring for a $3000-3500 watch and it not be counter intuitive to my goals. I buy good higher cost shoes that can be repaired, suits and dress shirts that will last, and my watch should too. Being that I'm done with the "grail" thing of watch collecting, I only want, again a want, a simple watch with a date that fits my daily attire of Suits and ties.

But, I haven't seen one in the flesh, and this may be all for naught. I just would like some opinions on the 1601. How it wears, known servicing issues, availability of parts, if you own one do you like it?

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  8. jalfreem Sep 21, 2017

I will add to my book of text, that I would be happy owning the 16570 Explorer 2, a 16800 to a 16610 Sub, along with a Datejust. I only wanted to focus this thread down to discussing the Datejust. Not that I don't appreciate everyone's opinion on the matter, but I don't want this thread to turn into a Datejust vs ___________ as I gather your views of the 1601.

STANDY likes this.
  9. HogWldFLTR Sep 21, 2017

So what are you looking for in the DJ? Watch only? Full set? Steel and fluted white gold bezel? Two tone? You can likely do well at the price level your interested in. Here's my 16013. You could also likely find a newer OP for that price. Here's mine as well. And just for the hell of it; here's my 1803, a few years newer than Jack's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chows99 and jalfreem like this.
  10. jalfreem Sep 21, 2017

Gorgeous pieces!

Hodinkee did a week on the wrist with a new 36mm Datejust that had oyster with fluted bezel, steel dial. I like a fluted bezel, stainless steel, jubilee, and I'm guessing stick markers, non lumed. But, when viewing two tones, that gold does look good. I think that there is a lot of watch value there to be capitalized on for someone like myself wanting a good watch. And by now these aren't really "Wall Street" anymore, and copied so much by the other brands that they blend in, but have a certain pop to them of quality. With this type of watch, I get the "grand pa's" watch feel, but also a mature business ethos about it.

11. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Sep 21, 2017

I don't get the hang up about giving your age and what it has to do with hacking? :unsure:

12. Davidt Sep 21, 2017

You wear a suit but get into rugged situations (whatever that is?).

Are you James Bond??

Dansnoppydoo, watch3s, Katze and 10 others like this.
  13. HogWldFLTR Sep 21, 2017

Thanks, it's a great watch. Some have referred to the 16013 I have as the American Psycho Date Just. I have to admit that I've seen Seikos that look almost like it and I have to double check before I approach someone wearing a similar watch.

jalfreem likes this.
  14. onthedial Sep 21, 2017

@jalfreem
    You've clearly stated what you want, now put your energy into purchasing a Ref. 1601 to your liking.
    Enjoy the hunt!

jalfreem likes this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 21, 2017

With this type of watch, I get the "grand pa's" watch feel.
    and
    Back in the day was 5 years ago
    and
    Needs a forum for opinions prior to a purchase

He's young ;)

Just be Jack 40 years ago buy a modern watch that suits you and wear the hell out of it. ( if it's already a grandpa feel watch it will be flipped quicker than iHop pancakes on a Saturday morning )

Gui13250 and watch3s like this.
  16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 21, 2017

I'm lost. Is this some kind of conceptual comedy piece?

The rest of us collect watches. I'm not really sure this is the right place for you.

sdre, ac106, citizenrich and 4 others like this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 21, 2017

FIFY

tyrantlizardrex and LouS like this.
  18. tyrantlizardrex Sep 22, 2017

Hey @jalfreem

Do you like the watch?

Can you afford the watch?

Do you want to own the watch?

Buy the watch!

Worrying about what Hodinkee wrote about the watch, and whether Jack Nicklaus has made it cool, really shouldn't be concerns... what YOU think/want/can afford should be.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your purchase.

speedamatuer, JMH76, ac106 and 4 others like this.
  19. jalfreem Sep 22, 2017

I was referring g to the Equifax hack and now the SEC hack. Most everyone's name, SS#, home address, and drivers license numbers were hacked. That seemed to not go over well, and I apologize, I'm pushing 40. The top end of millennial. Culturally, I grew up rural, near a small town.

And I assumed, that the Datejust would get the "old man" watch comments, and I only wanted to gather info and the merits of the 1601 without clouding it with comparisons with other great timepieces in a similar budget.

20. jalfreem Sep 22, 2017

I'm a funeral director. I get into "EMT" type situations all the time from the removing from deceased homes, moving and carrying caskets, basically doing heavy lifting in tight areas. And I park cars a lot at the funeral home in good and bad weather.