Forums Latest Members
  1. Kungfuzion Jan 31, 2018

My dad as just passed away, and some of the remains might be Omega. There is an Omega seamaster de ville (1963?) which I am certain is genuine, but the only Omega box seems too big for the seamaster. In the big box was another huge and heavy pocket watch, which fits great in the box, but there is no Omega brand to see? Is it Omega?

Please help.

Thanks.

Stort ur1.jpeg Stort ur2.jpg Guld ur1.jpg
  2. pedrocarlone Jan 31, 2018

Thats a lovely looking pocket watch. I dont know anything about them but i do know that you can get a display stand or housing for them that turns it into a clock for your mantlepiece. It’d be a nice way to remember you dad :)

propervinyl likes this.
  3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 31, 2018

I believe the "pocket watch" is an alarm. It's a fairly unusual piece, I think. It needs more pictures.

The Seamaster is a really nice example and it also needs more pictures.

Read the posting guide in the stickies at the top of this Vintage forum. A watchmaker (a real one, not a mall battery changer) can help you get the back off for the needed model and caliber info. Probably needs a clean, oil and adjust anyway.

propervinyl likes this.
  4. Canuck Jan 31, 2018

The big one is a repeater with a simple chronograph function. Nice looking Omega. Karat gold?

5. apm1 Jan 31, 2018

I would service that watch and keep it on my desk!

6. Kungfuzion Feb 1, 2018

Thanks for replying.

Repeater? Any chance it might be an Omega/valuable? I am in a financially situation were I need to sell, both so I hope I will be pleasant surprised.

The Omega is 14 K and in a good shape although used (the glas has a few superficial scratches.)

7. dan7800 Feb 1, 2018

+1 Do you research and take your time to take it to someone good and recommended. You can always ask and get people's input on the forum. Better to be diligent than make an irrefutable mistake.

8. Canuck Feb 1, 2018

I would suggest the repeater/chronograph is not Omega. It would likely pre-date the company that became Omega, by many years. Louis Brandt became Omega circa 1900, and I am not aware that Brandt was ever into watches like the subject watch. Worth? You’re not likely to find a large demand for generic watches such as that one, and what market there might be would depend on whether the functions on the watch all operate. Cost of servicing such a watch would likely be more than any perceived market value. So don’t plan on solving your cash flow situation with selling it. The wrist watch is more saleable. But this message board is not the place for you to be selling it (unless you get a private message from someone :).) You’d need at least 200 posts before you could list it here. Unless you have a track record elsewhere, and prevail upon a moderator, here.

9. Kungfuzion Feb 1, 2018

Thanks again for the replies. I find it all helpful. I will find a professional to look at both.

apm1 likes this.
  10. Kungfuzion Feb 6, 2018

Thanks for your help, here is an update in return.

I have had the watches looked at by Lauritz.com.
    The gold watch is Omega Seamaster De Ville 1963 14k gold all the way.
    The other one is as Canuck suggested a repeater. It is not gold but made of brass for durability. I have done some 'family tracking' and it can only be from a former sea captain how died in late 1800. Hence the maritime style.
    It needs a cleanse to be fully fit, but the guy valuating it was really fond of it, and very positive.

noelekal likes this.
  11. rcs914 Feb 6, 2018

Minute repeaters, even in pocket watches, are typically rather valuable. Just odd that there is no maker info at all.

Lucasssssss and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  12. Kungfuzion Feb 6, 2018

It was suggested it was custom made.

Lucasssssss likes this.