Forums Latest Members

I’m being naive: Can I get a turquoise 36mm 126000 from an authorized dealer for list price?

1. Eve Jan 6, 2021

Was walking around town few weeks ago..

Didnt realise those are so in demand. :eek: ::facepalm2::

20201214_091844.jpg

Edit: but none of those interest me at all..

Edited Jan 6, 2021
    Alfista88 and Larry S like this.
  2. Dor_42 Jan 6, 2021

If you can find one please get two! :confused:
    My manager is looking for one to get as a gift for his girlfriend, he promised to pay me a finders fee if I could get him one at retail.
    So far the "best" offer I got was $11k ::facepalm2::

3. amfalconer Jan 6, 2021

I saw a full set of the new colour OP in Burrells in Winchester UK a few weeks back, I assumed that they're not for sale though as no prices on any of them.

Carter and Marsh around the corner had the green 41mm one at a markup.

Everything's in lockdown here, so can't check at the mo.

Alfista88 likes this.
  4. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 6, 2021

Nope. Number Seven strikes out. Got a nice email from a ‘sales associate’.

“The popularity and demand for Rolex watches (in particular the Professional models) is extremely high right now. This could be due to both the reputation of Rolex as an industry innovator and as a high-quality watchmaker. ... Unfortunately, we do not have this model of Rolex in stock. And as of right now, we are fully committed to our current clientele.

“Have you visited their website at https://www.rolex.com? Through here, you can configure models of Rolex watches that may be of interest and may possibly be easier to obtain.

I contacted them thru that Rolex website to begin with. I assume fully committed means no point in any waiting list. I tried, @SkunkPrince .

Three local authorized dealers still haven’t responded.

Honestly, today’s Rolex sucks, straight up. And I believe they are intentionally driving people to the scalpers to burnish the Rolex brand as extremely desirable but very rare. I say this because it’s hard to believe they are making any serious effort, beyond abusing customers, to stop it.

Makes me sorry I like their vintage stuff so much.

5. cvalue13 Jan 6, 2021

They definitely are, and I'm not as sure as you that we should hold that against them.

I especially think it a challenge to hold it against Rolex as opposed to other companies because (1) there are several companies that also perfected this brand-valuing approach to commodities (e.g., AP, PP, etc.), and (2) then there are arguably the several other companies that apparently wish they were able to pull it off (I won't name names) but simply haven't yet.

Accordingly, while I also find it frustrating as an enthusiast and a collector, I don't know that it's energy well spent to to fret that Rolex is doing what is successful on the whole (despite it's "costs" to my feelings).

If nothing else, this thread is amusing for sure and I thank you for it.

airansun and Alfista88 like this.
  6. Alfista88 Jan 6, 2021

Reminds me of Pokemon cards, or Magic cards growing up. Especially the latter... it was fun to collect to cards and build game decks, and appreciate them for their intrinsic value because each card granted you abilities in the game mechanics, or had cool art. Similar to *gasp* liking a watch for its features or how it looks, rather than its value on the secondary market.

But once they became seen as commodities to flip for monetary gain, and people even began to regard some paper cards as investments to lock up in a safe ::facepalm2::...all the fun quickly deflated for me.

Nonetheless, still wishing you the very best of luck on getting a turquoise OP! Hope to see a future post in which you share your ultimate success in getting one :thumbsup:

nzshadow and kov like this.
  7. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 6, 2021

Tickle me pink...what exactly is a Rolex ‘Professional model’? Maybe you should ask her, and tell her a ‘Rolex Unprofessional Model’ will also do...

mblease, Taddyangle, Shabbaz and 3 others like this.
  8. Alfista88 Jan 7, 2021

Delivered easily enough :cool: 3 on are exhibit here:

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 10.24.48 PM.png

Photo credit to a forum member on TRF.

eugeneandresson and kkt like this.
  9. Fatcat Jan 7, 2021

Was in Paris and what I call the FlikFlak watches are selling as fast as the sport watches whatever the color incredible but the sales guy told me no wait list needed at least for them they accept orders but when they receive it , exposed and gone in the day .

10. DNX Jan 7, 2021

An example of professional and unprofessional models:

models.jpeg

Taddyangle, vibe and eugeneandresson like this.
  11. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 7, 2021

I got emails from the remaining three and called each one in response. I had to leave messages for two of them; on the third, the salesperson directly picked up.

Number 4, the one closest to me, in the midst of a lot of pro forma sales language, struck a friendly tone:

“Please be advised that we do not conduct business over the phone or internet, only in person within our store environment. Should you be emailing from outside of our immediate geographic region we invite you to visit your local Rolex Jeweler who would be in the best position to procure the timepiece you seek.”

Nevertheless, I called and left a nice message for “Sales Professional” - his official title on his email.

Number 5, a big one in Southern California, was where I got the actual sales person. His was the most hopeful email response — he was willing to take my information without coming into the store!

“Due to the increasing demand, we currently do not have any variation of this model on hand but I am more than happy to secure your information and get in touch with you as one becomes available in our boutique.

I was sooo grateful that he was willing to take my name that I called him almost immediately after I got his email. I told him enough about myself for him to take me seriously and I suggested I might be back for more, if I could find a good relationship. Really, I said that. I admitted I wasn’t local and he wasn’t fazed.

Upshot: he might call me some day in the future. Maybe.

Number 6 also warned me that they weren’t going to make it easy.

“Unfortunately, currently this model is not in stock. Because it cannot be special ordered, I have no idea when, or how many might be received within any period of time. This makes it impossible for me to give you an estimate how long the wait might be.
    If you visit me in store, I can take your information and reach out to you should this stunning timepiece become available for your consideration.”

I called and left a message anyway.

I’m willing to go to a store to pick up the watch. I’m not willing to go to a store just to get them to take my name.

No wonder I’ve never bought a new Rolex.

12. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 7, 2021

Gratuitous watch photo because we need one here
    2EEC975E-53C5-43F7-B051-3988B44F1424.jpeg

kkt, TJH, Taddyangle and 4 others like this.
  13. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 7, 2021

This is the only one I’ve ever bought new in the store. All the others, grey market or pre-loved. Was in 2010 - the first year of this model -walked in, plunked down my money, and walked out with it. It’s still in the family, with Mrs. Darlinboy.::love::
    BBA9257C-ABD9-468B-970A-672582F9E8E6.jpeg

Taddyangle and airansun like this.
  14. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 7, 2021

Now I’m noticing turquoises.

3A133848-7305-4264-BA72-C7E3CCAF85A9.jpeg 4CDA30E1-43D4-4B7F-BF2C-B838A241F954.jpeg 68C8E300-3278-47C8-9F2D-D9492DADBFF1.jpeg F0AE4254-8104-45F9-9767-204C395EBD8A.jpeg
    4DD6CF40-4D68-4570-A504-971A5C8484D7.jpeg

wagudc, MtV, DJG2645 and 1 other person like this.
  15. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 7, 2021

I think it might clash with the color of my arms.

16046915-9C44-4743-A8BE-19FC7CF5F4F4.jpeg

wagudc, wristpirate, Davidt and 2 others like this.
  16. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 8, 2021

It will match your avatar quite well though.

airansun likes this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 8, 2021

cvalue13 and airansun like this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 8, 2021

I appreciate you documenting this journey. It makes me very happy I have no desire for any of these...but I wish you the best of puck in your quest.

kkt, airansun, wristpirate and 2 others like this.
  19. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 8, 2021

Maybe they’ll sell me one of these OPs if I buy a Daytona?

(I’d be willing to do that at list price) 75B90CEF-6283-4536-8E48-F1A6E7568316.jpeg

20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 8, 2021

3 years ago Tappers in Somerset (Detroit) had 3 Hulks on display. I passed and got an DJ 41. Then a few months later I went back for the hulk and....nothing, nowhere for ever.... Until I got them through a friend. Insane.

Larry S likes this.