Forums Latest Members

I’m being naive: Can I get a turquoise 36mm 126000 from an authorized dealer for list price?

1. MTROIS Jan 5, 2021

I am somewhat happy to see the responses inviting you to stop by the AD in person as it MAY be one of the many ways the ADs can weed out flippers and other gentlemen speculators. I even thought that ADs were only SUPPOSED to cater to customers that are local to them.

Also, why wouldn’t you make the trip to an AD if you were really interested... :thumbsdown:

I guess I am “old style” where in-person discussion is still somewhat important to establish a business relationship... but that is quite fine as well!! :thumbsup:

blufinz52 and cvalue13 like this.
  2. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 5, 2021

I buy watches online all the time.

Walking into a watch boutique is like walking into a car dealership. I have better things to do with an hour.

I’m not interested in forming a new relationship just to buy a watch. Can’t I just buy a watch?

EauTerre, kkt, mzinski and 7 others like this.
  3. mancio Jan 5, 2021

No.

If you want the watch at MSRP you can forget to do that online ( unless you’re a know customer to them ) because they have to deal with too many grey market dealers and flippers.

If you want it, you have to go to the dealer in person.

blufinz52 and Alfista88 like this.
  4. Thrasher36 Jan 5, 2021

I would go into the shop but then I'm retired so I have plenty of free time, Walking in and chit chatting maybe they have something in the back and all of a sudden you find out you use the same barber, drive the same car went to the same school...then bingo look what just came in have a nice day.

blufinz52 likes this.
  5. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 5, 2021

I get Rolex’s reasons for making legitimate customers do this. As a customer, I just object to this additional ‘verification’, solely for their corporate benefit.

Rolex, by checking its own customer records, could know I’ve never bought a watch from them. I’m not paying cash, so they will already know who’s getting it.

And yeah, Rolex has done a great job of preventing grey marketeers. 156CB604-572F-44BF-BBC1-C7AD08A6E841.jpeg

blufinz52 and Walrus like this.
  6. wsfarrell Jan 5, 2021

I don't want to put it too strongly, but flippers are no-talent scumbags whose greed has completely ruined the market for stainless Rolexes.

7. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 5, 2021

I get this. If it weren’t a mere commodity, I’d be doing that. Something rare.

8. mancio Jan 5, 2021

No, they are doing a shitty job.
    I would love to see the market flooded with steel Rolex but they will never do that because it’s not convenient for them.

9. SkunkPrince Jan 5, 2021

This is my local Rolex dealer in Brookfield Wisconsin. I don't buy Rolex but their watchmakers take care of me.

https://www.treiberandstraub.com

What do you have to lose?

Alfista88 likes this.
  10. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 5, 2021

Number 2 replied to my email, diminishing my hopes:

“Yes, I will keep you in mind, but I am afraid it will be a while before I can give you a call about the 36mm Oyster Perpetual in turquoise. We have been getting many inquiries about the new OP 41 and 36, especially for the ‘fun’ colors.”

In keeping with the build a relationship model, I responded by thanking her and giving her my cell number. I did not send any more watch photos as she didn’t respond to the one I sent.

Three have not yet responded.

11. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 5, 2021

Thanks for the tip. I might get to them, but I’m more likely to quietly give up by then.

If Rolex watches were regularly available from their authorized dealers, flippers couldn’t double their money. (Rolex could probably drive most of them out of business by dumping a huge quantity of product all at once.)

And there’s no way I’m paying anything near to what flippers are asking. It’s a very nice watch, but it’s not worth what flippers are asking. To me, anyway.

Yay Rolex.

BTW Rolex, love your vintage stuff!
    9D7A590D-1BE1-4DC7-A958-00EC4C59F8A1.jpeg

kip595, blufinz52 and SuperHero like this.
  12. SkunkPrince Jan 5, 2021

Remember those who live on the coasts forget those of us in "flyover land" actually exist. So because you don't remember it, you think that your only source is one of those coastal assholes. Guess what. We exist.

13. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 5, 2021

I just figured a local dealer would be more receptive to my contact.

14. SkunkPrince Jan 5, 2021

All you need is s credit card, brother.

15. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 5, 2021

Ok. I sent them a message. So, that’s seven total.

16. SkunkPrince Jan 5, 2021

Good luck!

17. Walrus Jan 5, 2021

I was going to ask what they are going for on the open market. So 12k for a 5k watch. I mean the colored dials are cool and they are a nice looking watch but damn those flippers really got it going on. It’s a bit of a bummer about the whole watch thing but if people pay it it’s gonna happen.

blufinz52 and cvalue13 like this.
  18. cvalue13 Jan 5, 2021

While this is of course true regarding the effect on flippers, it ignores the effect on Rolex.

If we need proof that Rolex benefits from the demand for its brand outstripping its regulated supply, as well as benefiting from the spectacle of the grey market, we need only note that Rolex is in fact doing it.

As you pointed out, watches are just a commodity and to that extent are basically worthless: if you need to tell time, look at your phone.

What is valuable is the Rolex brand, not the Rolex watches; and the brand value increases by having a segment of their business be this type of cultural phenomenon (for better and worse).

Nike does the same thing with its commodities: the bulk of its profits are from everyday dad shoes no one raises an eye about; but for the collectible shoe segment, with billion-dollar grey market sub-industries built around it, Nike purposefully makes far fewer pairs than demanded, and reaps the brand rewards.

The value of Rolex or Nike are not in the commodities they produce - they’re in their brands, and they are doing exactly what increases the value of their brand, all things considered.

These being as far as I can tell the business facts, it helps me to not take it personal, or incorrectly feel as though Rolex is being somehow dumb.

blufinz52 likes this.
  19. Alfista88 Jan 5, 2021

Yep, collectible sneakers are an apt parallel. There's a shoe store on Fairfax Ave in West Hollywood that I pass on morning walks, that is usually deserted. Except on days when a new collectible is being released. On those days, there's a line of people waiting outside that wraps around the street, waiting for the store to open so they can have a chance at a limited edition Yeezy.

Can't fault companies for optimizing their profit by building their brand... even if it results in frustration from of some would-be consumers. A customer they don't get today due to under-supply of goods, is a customer they'll likely still be able to capture in the future, because they've made their brand so desirable.

Great folks at that AD! I also like Schwanke-Kasten a few miles north of Milwaukee. I lived in Madison for a couple years, and was always treated with respect and kindness when I stopped by to try on Rolex models... back in the early 2010's when every SS Rolex model was on display.

It wasn't even that hard to find a SS Daytona, and I saw a black SS Daytona on display at a Rolex boutique window in Eastern Europe as recently as spring 2017. Still kicking myself for not realizing how rare that was, as I didn't care for Rolex at all back in those days. Hard to fathom that 3 years later, we'd have to cultivate relationships with AD's just to buy a 36mm oyster perpetual.

At the end of the day, good things hopefully come to those who wait? I remember having to wait 18 months for a made-to-order briefcase from a leather craftsman in Milwaukee. No games / relationship building required, but the demand so greatly exceeded supply that all we anxious customer can do is express interest, then wait for our names to be called.

Best of luck in your quest!

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 6, 2021

First two things you do when you find out your wife is pregnant.

You place your name on the Rolex and local Kindergarten waiting list.
    Day care and Daytona are when you first meet your wife........

Togri v. 2.0, Nobel Prize and vibe like this.