Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. 1972Steve

1972Steve Apr 9, 2018

Hello all-

I want to introduce myself as a new Omega addict. There- I’ve admitted I’m sick with the disease for my therapy group. ;) I came across this sight a month ago to ask what others thought of my $300 purchase of a beat up redialed Seamaster. The members here were very courteous in telling me I overplayed and made a mistake. The mistake Seamaster in now being restored so I am paying more for what it is worth but I feel like I am the new custodian of the watch and it deserves a 2nd chance. It will wear well on my wrist and be passed to my son or daughter.

After being burnt on my first deal I am going to test the waters again but this time very cautiously. I have been actively researching Speedmasters. Especially on Speedmaster 101. I am fortunate enough to head to Hong Kong for work this week and will be checking out some legitimate vintage watch stores in Hong Kong. I hope to purchase my first 861Speedy. I have considered purchasing a new Speedy but my heart tells me to go with something that has character. I hope to come back and become part of the Speedy group. Wish me luck. -Steve.

morningtundra likes this.
  2. kyle L

kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 9, 2018

Best of luck. Hong Kong is one of my favorite places to explore and there are some nice pieces lying around. Vintage watches are everywhere. :)

GuiltyBoomerang, dougiedude and ekel like this.
  3. repoman

repoman Apr 10, 2018

Love Hong Kong, crawling around for watches; good stuff is a bit harder to find, so it helps to have a friend like @JohnSteed, who put me onto this beautiful '69 on my first trip there:
    69Speedy.jpg

4. river rat

river rat Apr 10, 2018

Good luck on your hunt for a speedy. Wished the last time I was in Hong Kong I was into watches. My ship when in the US Navy went there in 1984 when it was still under British rule. We anchored out and we use water taxies instead of our own liberty boats to get to shore remember I got stuck with shore patrol there. Was a cool place to visit back then and I bet better watch deals than today I blew it was more into bars in those days.

Edited Apr 10, 2018
    Mark020 and dougiedude like this.
  5. dougiedude

dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 10, 2018

+1 to both!

Just don't let yourself fall prey to the fake-meisters on the street on Nathan St.

Some can be a bit aggressive when they find out you're into watches. Otherwise, it's a favorite city of mine with great food, and plenty of watches, new AND old...

6. Dero13

Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Apr 10, 2018

I've lived here in HK the past 3 years. I wouldn't say its a great place to buy vintage watches - a lot of overpriced items here and a lot of frankens but does have some grail watches you'd be hard pressed to find elsewhere.

I walkes by Pnf watches in Mong Kok a few weeks back and they had a pretty nice 145.022 w/DON in the window. I didnt check the price but might be worth checking out if you had time.

Good luck on your hunt!

7. 1972Steve

1972Steve Apr 10, 2018

8. DonovanMartin

DonovanMartin Apr 10, 2018

Sounds like a great trip. You may want to download the MWO digital version. It doesn’t have everything but there is useful information in it for checking out watches

1972Steve likes this.
  9. ekel

ekel Apr 20, 2018

Curious if there are any stores in HK where you think I could find early 90s Speedmasters. I’m looking for a 3592.20.

10. Elitr6

Elitr6 Apr 21, 2018

I'll be there in a few weeks! Let us know how you get on as I'll be hot on your heels

ekel likes this.
  11. ekel

ekel Apr 23, 2018

Nothing vintage today but the IWC showcase at Fashion Walk (Causeway Bay) is worth a visit 8F954C60-F8C6-4D7B-BA74-1B667EDC8391.jpeg .

12. marco

marco Apr 24, 2018

A good place to hunt as the locals just cannot see past Rolex, cachet, panache, status Rolex. Weird eh ?

13. keepschanging

keepschanging Apr 24, 2018

Well that also means supply is low, particularly anything predating 1950s

marco likes this.