Forums Latest Members
  1. rhj Apr 9, 2016

Hello,

i found my speedmaster in this way and I was assured, that it wasn't under water. Can this be a humidity problem? May be near some heat and then in a cold environment?

And what I have to do with it?

Thanks a lot

mySpeedmaster.png
    Edited Apr 9, 2016
  2. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 9, 2016

It could also be a hoto-problem...;)

cicindela likes this.
  3. rhj Apr 9, 2016

yeah, the google-drive link doesn't work ...

cicindela likes this.
  4. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 9, 2016

Darn, you ook away the un in it...

cicindela likes this.
  5. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 9, 2016

ater ondensates on urfaces when air is cooled down below the temperature point it can hold water in gas form (this is difficult for me in English). For instance - your watch has water on the inside of the crystal. The air inside has been a lot warmer than the outside temperature - when the crystal has been cooled down (quickly) the air in the watch could no longer hold the water in gas form and drops of water formed on the cool surface of the crystal.

If the drop of temperature is slow it evens out the temperature on both sides and nothing happens. "Umidity" in itself is not that dangerous.

Get your watch to a watchmaker quickly.

Edited Apr 9, 2016
    cicindela likes this.
  6. Mr Bing Apr 9, 2016

Ouch! What do you mean found it in this way? Surely there was a build up of moisture before it got in this state. It looks like you've had a small kettle boiling inside that watch. Good luck all the same.

Edited Apr 9, 2016
  7. rhj Apr 9, 2016

So, really bad news

8. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 9, 2016

Moisture/Humidity of air is not in itself a big problem. Quick changes in temperature are.

cicindela likes this.
  9. Mr Bing Apr 9, 2016

Thanks, I'll remember next time I take my watch out of the oven not to put it straight into the fridge. :D

Nitzbar, rhj and styggpyggeno1 like this.
  10. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 9, 2016

Depends - how you see it. You get to see a watchmaker - which is fun. Do it quickly as rust is going to form on the movement. And before anyone suggest heating it up again... which should make the water go away - NO! Even if that takes care of the visable problem - the movement needs to be checked for rust. Go now.

Mr Bing likes this.
  11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 9, 2016

Looks like a mendacious statement issue to me.

Get it to a watchmaker as soon as possible for proper cleaning and drying.

12. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 9, 2016

Not that uncommon as you think. I have seen guys wearing their watches in the sauna and then go for a swim in a cold lake (even thru a hole in the ice as we do it here sometimes). Recepie for disaster.

cicindela and RawArcher like this.
  13. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Apr 9, 2016

The effect looks almost Disney-like. Is there a ride that might cause this? ::stirthepot::

rhj likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 9, 2016

As I posted in another thread recently, condensation of this magnitude can't be just left to dry...here is the example where the "watchmaker" just dried it out...

[​IMG]

Rust was clearly evident when the watch made it to me for a proper service:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some parts had to be replaced just because of rust...

[​IMG]

The watch needs to be disassembled and put into the cleaning machine as soon as possible. I typically remove the dial and hands and put them on a warming plate to dry them out to prevent damage to the luminous material.

Don't wait - get it done as quickly as possible.

Cheers, Al

sky21 and Foo2rama like this.
  15. rhj Apr 9, 2016

Thanks to all you, I will bring it to the watchmaker asap!

styggpyggeno1 likes this.
  16. Tubber Apr 13, 2016

I couldn't agree more, a complete recipe for disaster. But I do the same with a Seiko. I know I shouldn't but I do it to see if I can kill it. It just won't die. I bought it about about 6 years ago in Brunei for BND300, wore it in the Engine Room since then so it gets covered in oil, fuel, chemicals and other crap. The steel bracelet was looking a bit scratched, gave it a good rub with very fine valve lapping compound and a bit of Diesel, threw it in the Ultrasonic cleaner and it came out champion. Stem was getting sticky when pulling out the crown, bit of Silicone grease and it was back to normal. I don't recommend doing either. It gets worn outside in Northern Europe in the winter, this year there was ice building up on it, -20C with the wind-chill, the sea was frozen over. Wear it in the sauna and wore it up the Persian Gulf, so +60-65C in the Engine Room, usually in my pocket as it burns your wrist. It was floating around Esbjerg harbour last month on my wrist, 5C water temp. I leave it onboard and give it a shake when I come back, always starts straight away. I have the utmost respect for Seiko watches after that. It is getting a bit erratic now but not by much and for BND300 over 6 years just throw it away and get another one.

rhj likes this.
  17. rhj Apr 13, 2016

I'm away from home this week and i put the watch in a pot of rice to pull out the humidity (as we put some rice in the salt barrel). after that now the watch looks better - but i made just appointment with the certified omega watchmaker for next week!

thanks to all of you "suffering with me" :)
    20160413_MySpeedmaster.jpg

18. sky21 Apr 13, 2016

Best of luck to you, please let us know how it turns out.

19. rhj Apr 21, 2016

Now the watchmaker looked inside the 175.0032 and says that the water damage is very bad:
    Chrono-Engine is to substitute (500€) and other pieces (glass, all pushers, hands, etc. etc.) too. About 600€ for the pieces and 200€ for the work.
    :(
    My question is: It is worth to spend 800€ for a 175.0032 from the nineties?

For this money nearly I could get a better one used - it's not a rare timepiece ...

Thanks for any advice!!!

20. arkstfan Apr 21, 2016

Not only could it put you toward one in better shape, selling it as a donor would push you toward that as well.