Forums Latest Members

SOLD Huguenin Freres "Prototype" chronograph, Val 7734

1. Kazyole Oct 28, 2016

Hey everybody,

Offered for sale is a pretty unique hand-winding Valjoux 7734 powered chronograph, inside a Huguenin Freres case from sometime in the 1960s (based on the research I've done). I've tried to find out as much about the watch as possible, but there's just not much solid information out there about it that I've seen. Selling because I now have 2 speedies and this is just too similar for the size of my collection.

I've seen a couple here, and the common claim is that it's some kind of speedmaster "prototype," but as far as I've seen there is no evidence tying it directly to omega, despite the case similarities. The inside caseback is stamped with an HF hallmark.

I bought the case/hands/dial as a set, and then had it built up by @Drawarms with a freshly serviced Valjoux 7734 in July. I don't have the proper tools to take a movement shot, but the watch works flawlessly and keeps great time. Chrono functions work and reset as they should. The bezel is free rotating. The watch is in pretty immaculate condition, as you can see in the photos. The case was NOS when I bought it, and I've probably worn the watch less than 20 times.

The date wheel also goes back and forth between black and red characters, as you can see in the final wrist shot.

42mm case, 48mm lug to lug, 20mm lug width.

Returns accepted within 7 days if the watch is not as described.

Asking 1200 USD net to me, head only. Paypal or bank wire. Face to face available in NYC.

—Brian

01_straight.jpg 02_down.jpg 03_top.jpg 04_lug1.jpg 05_lug2.jpg 06_lug3.jpg 07_side1.jpg 08_side2.jpg 09_caseback.jpg 10_wrist.jpg

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 28, 2016

Pretty cool. I remember seeing that case for sale. Glad someone put it together!

GLWYS!

Kazyole likes this.
  3. Drawarms Oct 28, 2016

great watch in person and great seller!

Kazyole likes this.
  4. Kazyole Oct 30, 2016

^

5. erpin9 Oct 31, 2016

Is the dial n hands really intended for that watch case?

6. Kazyole Oct 31, 2016

My assumption is that the dial and handset are more an unbranded set intended to be used with the 7734 than something that was made specifically for this case. I've looked around and while I haven't seen this exact dial and handset on a watch other than these cases, you can buy a number of unbranded dials that share the same "Chronographe" script as this one.

My thinking is that at some point there was a dial maker out there making these dials and sending them off un-branded for other people to stamp their logos on. I've tried to research it, but have found very little information. The dial and hands did come with the case when I bought it though.

Drawarms likes this.
  7. Kazyole Nov 1, 2016

^

8. Kazyole Nov 1, 2016

OHPF!

Spacefruit and oddboy like this.
  9. Kazyole Nov 1, 2016

SOLD. Thanks OF and buyer.

oddboy and Drawarms like this.