Forums Latest Members

Hublot watches… anybody?

1. MTROIS Feb 4, 2021

I will be the first one to admit that up to now, I always discounted Hublot watches for being tacky, gaudy (don’t get me started on their CEO running from one hip event to another PR one for photo shoots), and overall mere copies of the original (and now iconic) Genta designs. I am actually not even sure if this last reason is truly valid, because as Jean-Claude Biver described in his Hodinkee Talking Watches episode, when the Nautilus came out in 1976, it was also dubbed to be a copy of the 1972 Royal Oak. So what gives!?

Anyhow, long story short, I now need to concede that I am quite intrigued by this brand, their recent design (with the exception of their Richard Mille lookalike), the in-house movements they have developed that boast massive power reserves and all the materials science that they have developed in the last decade. I think I am now starting to possibly seeing myself buying one of their watches, likely one of the Big Bang Integral models, in the future.

What are your thoughts guys? Anybody else around here who used to “snob” this brand and who now feels they have changed their mind (or are close to doing so)? Can any current owner of a Hublot watch chime in on their experience owning one of their pieces? Any love to spread around for Hublot?

2. abrod520 Feb 4, 2021

Everybody: No.

Zapatta likes this.
  3. MTROIS Feb 4, 2021

Who is this proverbial "everybody"!? :thumbsdown:

As the French say goes: "only idiots never change their minds!" :D

4. abrod520 Feb 4, 2021

The proverbial everybody is everybody I come into contact with across the entire watch hobby - forums, IG, in person. I've only ever seen one. (Probably because I don't spend much time in Miami strip clubs)

I'm not resistant at all to changing my mind, but I'll still need a reason to do so :coffee:

That said, yes, some of their releases this year are beginning to show some inspiration for a change; shame they're still too big and way overpriced though.

5. Om3ga321 Feb 4, 2021

Their watches do nothing for me.
    I've looked and looked but way to loud.
    To me it seems they are trying to hard at standing out from the crowd.

6. amfalconer Feb 4, 2021

A contractor I used to have had a nice classic fusion, the only Hublot I've actually seen in the wild.

The understated ones yeah, the blingy ones.... Nope

7. vbrad26 Feb 4, 2021

Modern day Jacob & Co.
    And by that I mean popular with rappers now like Jacob was 10-15 years ago...

8. Ness Feb 4, 2021

I automatically associate the brand with new rich footballers. Apologies for the prejudice.

9. Evitzee Feb 4, 2021

Two watch brands I never could get excited about were Hublot and Panerai, both of which were overhyped and marketed to unsophisticated buyers, imo. But there are fans of both. Buy it if you like it.

10. mzinski Feb 4, 2021

I loved to hate them in the past.

But I think I've been converted.
    (Sorry my 12 Ferrari's aren't in the background)

IMG_6250.jpeg IMG_6248.jpeg IMG_6251.jpeg IMG_6252.jpeg

MTROIS likes this.
  11. MTROIS Feb 4, 2021