Forums Latest Members

How well will modern watches physically age with time?

1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids May 5, 2015

When we look at vintage watches, we have a term, "patina", to describe the aging process.

Given today's modern building materials and precision manufacturing, will we see the same kinds of patina that we do on watches from the 1930'-1960's? Or even later? Will it be the same, but take much longer?

Most modern watches are waterproof to a far higher degree than vintage watches. Surely this will lengthen the aging process.

Nearly all lume is super luminova or tritium. Do they change color over time?

I think dial plates are being built of different materials. What does this mean for the aging process? Will we see dial plates brown with age in the same way? What about the inks used?

2. ulackfocus May 5, 2015

Materials are better now then back in the 50's - and for Omega, the 60's because they seemed to be the last to moderize their dial process back then. However, there's a little thing called "engineered obsolescence" that has caught on over the last few decades that might counter any value of those new materials.

Everything ages. It's guesswork at best to predict how something will age. Only time will tell.

citizenrich and Matty01 like this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 5, 2015

But how will omega make any money with longer lasting materials and longer service intervals with all these coaxials?

Maybe they'll need to downsize so they can focus on design - and build up a strong network of independent, coaxial certified watchmakers to take the service business back off their hands.

4. devnull May 5, 2015

The concept of buying a brand new watch instead of an equivalent priced vintage is so alien to me that I'm having a hard time following the question.

dmtowl, Tony C. and Geo! like this.
  5. lillatroll May 6, 2015

Perhaps they will focus more on strong design, so that as time goes on tastes will change quicker and people will want the new design, a bit like they do with cars. I also think there are just as many people who like their watches to look shiny as there are who like the aged look of some vintage watches. i suppose we will have to wait 30 years to find out.

6. Queue Eat any good books lately? May 6, 2015

It depends on how well you take care of them...

7. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan May 6, 2015

I reckon, if they just make the lot, amd i mean movements, cases, dials, hands and crystals from Irony they will be pretty well future proofed

8. micampe May 6, 2015

“Engineered obsolescence” is what people call fast progress when they really really want the new gadget but don’t want to pay for it.

9. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason May 6, 2015

There are some elements of the modern watch that will last a lifetime. Super-Luminova is non-radioactive, so there is no half-life decay and most likely won't change colors. Ceramic bezels, as opposed to steel or aluminum bezels, will not "ghost" even with vigorous use. As far as dial patina goes, modern cases not only do a much better job at keeping moisture out, but according to a watchmaker that I talked to, the paints used on dials now do not react the same way to water that older dials used to. I have no idea on how it reacts to sunlight however.

When I was deciding on a modern watch for more rugged activities, I chose the Tudor Black Bay blue because it has a painted steel bezel. It will most likely be 10+ years before I see any signs of change, but I think these sorts of bezels have the best chance at aging. One thing I'm intrigued by is the fact that A. Lange & Söhne uses German, or nickel, silver for their movement plates. German silver is known to develop a yellowish patina over time, so I wonder what the thinking was there.

10. ulackfocus May 6, 2015

Is German silver actually silver?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 6, 2015

No.

jordn likes this.
  12. ulackfocus May 6, 2015

I should have used the "rhetorical" emoticon. ::facepalm2::

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 6, 2015

Hey Google might have been broken or something...just trying to help. ;)

14. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector May 6, 2015

Don't really give a jot, I will be long gone and the kids can worry ;)

Event horizon likes this.
  15. devnull May 6, 2015

Me, between a 50 years old watch with a nice patina and one with a pristine dial, I rather have the patinated one. But then again an authentic pristine dial is a nice consolation price ;)

16. bill5959 May 6, 2015

Exactly my thought. But I age the new ones by pickling them with my Gmothers formula and putting them in the cellar..

17. ulackfocus May 6, 2015

I hear watches age better when they're stuffed in a coffee can and hidden inside a wall for decades.

Modest_Proposal likes this.
  18. citizenrich Metal Mixer! May 7, 2015

When I look at the guts of a 1950's Patek it looks brand new and modern. Especially their rotors and balance wheel

More often than not, Copper plated, "water proof" Omegas from the same period can and do look brand new. Is, nice!