Forums Latest Members

How well does my watch run?

1. Ferik Nov 20, 2014

To be honest, I don't really know how to interpret the results from that instrument and I am not sure how one goes about it (help welcome).

But this seems pretty amazing?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416535760.618099.jpg

2. pitpro Likes the game. Nov 20, 2014

maybe it's not hooked up even, LoL:)

3. ChrisN Nov 21, 2014

Have a look here:
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/2-new-essential-tools-coming-this-month.3954/page-1

And some more info here:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/some-cal-56x-timegraphing.15602/

You have a nice straight line but low amplitude (probably in the acceptable range) which will change if you set the lift angle as it is probably less than 52 degrees. Also depends on the wind state. You have spurious points which may just be you talking or moving the watch.

Anyway, read what Al says in the first link and I am sure he will be along with an expert opinion if you run the full test. Good luck, it is an interesting topic but may make you unnecessarily nervous.;)

Cheers, Chris

Edited Nov 21, 2014
  4. Ferik Nov 21, 2014

This is another one (different watch, same model) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416569241.931639.jpg

5. Ferik Nov 21, 2014

Thanks for the links, will read through

6. ChrisN Nov 21, 2014

7. ulackfocus Nov 21, 2014

Dunno - does it even like to exercise at all?

images.jpeg images-1.jpeg

Alpha likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 21, 2014

Here we go again...

[​IMG]

:)

Mothra, gatorcpa, DLT222 and 3 others like this.
  9. Ferik Nov 21, 2014

Sorry, @Archer, I am just trying to learn.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 21, 2014

Hi Ferik,

There's nothing wrong with trying to learn, and I am quite willing to help you, but you need to do more than what you have done so far.

If you read the other threads linked above, it will be clear that the answer to the question "How well does my watch run" can't possibly be answered using the first photo you posted. As has already been pointed out by ChrisN, we don't know anything about the state of the watch when that reading was taken, or even what watch it is we are talking about.

So we don't know the state of wind (fully wound, barely wound, or somewhere in between), when it was last serviced, what position you are measuring, what the correct lift angle for this movement really is...etc., etc., etc. etc.

I always get a kick in particular when I see a shot of one of these machines with the watch in one single position and someone saying "Look how great this is!" A photo of a watch running in one position is not completely useless, but it doesn't tell you very much to be honest. I could easily get every watch that comes into my shop running at "zero" in one position. Of course when you change to another position, it could be out by minutes per day....

Read through the other threads, provide the same information that was asked for in those examples, post it here, and then we can really tell you something about how your watch is running....

Cheers, Al

11. Ferik Nov 21, 2014

@Archer, I understand and appreciate. My goal wasn't a quick diagnostic or a boast. I was hoping for people to point me to the right direction so I can read and learn which I will.

I will provide more context when I understand what context to bring once I have read the resources above.

Thank you all.

12. ChrisN Nov 21, 2014

Hi Ferik

If it helps, you can PM me with your personal mail and I will send you the blank template I used here:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/some-cal-56x-timegraphing.15602/#post-173088

I'm not sure the forum has a file share location but, if it does tell me where and I will put it there. Take pictures of the timegrapher at each test position and you can post them with the results.

If you say which watch, I may be able to tell you the specification to enter at the top and which positions to test.

With these machines, I have the best results by leaving an air gap between the watch and the cradle. Am not sure that's clear but basically don't sit the watch right down on the cradle. Make sure the watch is secure though!

Cheers, Chris

13. Georgieboy58 Nov 21, 2014

The spreadsheet with the lift angles can still be found here.