Forums Latest Members
  1. Ancon Harpy Mar 2, 2017

since the ref 14393 4 and 14393 10sc Constellations which I am familiar with do not have screw down crowns I wonder how water resistant they were. These are 1959 and 1961 vintage. At what depth did the factory claim they were water resistant when they were new?

2. Canuck Mar 2, 2017

You might be indirectly asking about the level of water resistance you might be able to expect from one of these watches, today. How water resistant they might have been several decades ago bears little relation to what to expect today. This message board has a search function, and the topic of water resistance comes up frequently. You might want to search the archives on the topic. There's a lot of good reading to discover. In short, I don't wear any of my water resistant watches in water. Including my Rolex watches.

3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 2, 2017

I think the OP was asking for the original spec - as a true WIS would.
    I don't know the answer I'm afraid but I'm sure someone will
    it might be in Desmond's blog - I think there is a section on the waterproof crowns

4. RancheroMaster Mar 3, 2017

According to advertising literature from 1959, factory spec for water resistance was 200 feet, 61 metres.

(Source: Automobile Year: Annual Automobile Review, Volume 7, 1959. Snippet available on Google Books)

According to the OViD, the water resistance is 30 meters, approximately 100 feet. I am sure they are aware of vintage advertising saying double that figure, but since we equate 30 meters today with 'barely water resistant', I believe it's their way of saying 'don't get these vintage watches wet'.

(https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/14366/)

Edited Mar 3, 2017
    Peemacgee likes this.
  5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Mar 3, 2017

New, with the hermetically sealing crown, caseback gasket and tight crystal fitment, they would have been as water resistant as one would get then. Omega, generally, has never felt the need for screw-down crowns, correctly believing IMO that hermetic crowns did the job well.

That said, hermetic crowns need replacing at each service generally, and I wouldn't even try to test fate in the water with an early 60's Constellation now.

Cheers

Desmond