Forums Latest Members

How to tell the difference between a chromed and SS case on a vintage watch

1. jshaw083 Dec 29, 2018

Hi all,

Just curious, is there a quick and easy way to tell the difference between a stainless steel case and chromed? Presumably if it's older than 1960s, most of the chromed cases I've seen have been severely corroded...But is this always the case? Are there well-preserved chromed cases out there, and if so, how do you tell the difference from SS?

Thanks again OF,
    -J.

2. Oku Dec 29, 2018

Best way is to look at the case back. If it explicitly mentions the case back like "Fond acier inoxydable", the case is not steel.

MMMD and jshaw083 like this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 29, 2018

or "steel back" implying that the mid-case is chrome.

With some practice, you will also be able to tell from (good quality) photos. Unless the watch is NOS, the tone and finish of chrome will look different than that of steel.

On watches that have seen use, it is typical to see signs of degradation on the back side of the lugs, as they are exposed to sweat.

4. dantheman3u4i Dec 29, 2018

The Wakmann triple date I have says specifically "Stainless Steel Back," which is pretty helpful.

jshaw083 likes this.
  5. S.H. Dec 29, 2018

Steel has a warmer/yellower color and modern steel rarely pits, chrome is whiter. Usually you can tell if there is a hue difference between caseback and midcase.

jshaw083 likes this.
  6. ConElPueblo Dec 29, 2018

As with nearly all aspects of this hobby, once you know what to look for, it is both quick and easy. Getting to that point may take some time.

As @Tony C. writes, the tone and finish is different. There are a lot of cheap seventies watches with chromed cases that are completely untouched where you can see that the shine of the metal is different. Here is an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Re...=item5919c9ef9a:g:MpAAAOSwMEtaVnl8:rk:15:pf:0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

The cases tend to be more slab-sided and lack facets and intricate details too.

jshaw083, Tritium and Tony C. like this.
  7. jshaw083 Dec 29, 2018

Thank you all for the swift replies! Appreciate it. Will try and train my eye :thumbsup:

8. simonsays Dec 29, 2018

Some good tells mentioned here, but some plated watches are very difficult/impossible to spot, if in good condition.