Forums Latest Members
  1. 250scr Jan 12, 2015

Other than having real world experience, how can a novice person tell by looking through a jewelers loupe if the dial is original or not? More concerned with pre 1974 speedmasters. Thank you

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2015

60s and 50s ones introduce a lot of complexity, best way is to look at hundreds of good ones and have a detailed mental image of each reference, Moonwatch Only is an excellent reference too, well worth owning from what I hear

3. 250scr Jan 12, 2015

Yeah, that's the problem you have to try to find many people who have a good one, which I don't know anyone who even owns one.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 12, 2015

Actually you don't have to find good ones. Bad ones can teach too.

I have seen no fake dials where the whole thing is counterfeit

I have seen refinished dials that are so obvious that it is suffice to say the background finish, or plots, or printing simply do not like like a part produced by a really up tight Swiss company.

I have refinished dials myself. (Well had others do them for me) and never has the printing been as precise.

My point being you are much more likely to see a watch with a genuine dial than a fake, or refinished one.

Pre 1974 have a small step, T SWISS T markings and plot indices that do not go through the outer track. Actually I think it's around this time the dials went from step to dome.

Earlier watches require more insight, but I assumed were talking early '70s.

www.speedmaster101.com and of course this forum, especially WURW and FD

TLIGuy likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 12, 2015

Speedmaster guys on forum will help, be patient and make sure you get help before any purchase. If you can not wait buy a new one as most start this way then boom you have 3....

Spacefruit likes this.
  6. 250scr Jan 12, 2015

Yea, I imagine a lot has to do with just seeing as many watches as possible and then finding a good reliable jeweler that you can trust to guide you when you are not 4 sure.

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 12, 2015

Mm. Let me know when you find one well versed in 70's speedies.

dennisthemenace likes this.
  8. 250scr Jan 12, 2015

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 13, 2015

The average jewellers are very good at selling cheap jewellery, that's about the limit of their expertise, they're sales people not jewellery experts and you can go from a position at a clothes store to selling necklaces overnight.

Even watch specific dealers are unlikely to know anything, unless they also buy, so a pawn shop owner with grey hair or vintage watch dealer / watchmaker is likely to at least know Speedmaster basics, though not detailed specifics for anything earlier than a '71 other than being able to tell which calibre it has and read the reference.

In all of the city of 2 million I live in there's only one bricks and mortar dealer I know of that could reliably pick the difference between each major sub-reference Cal 321 Speedmaster and even he would defer to Moonwatch Only when it comes to things like 2998 sub-references.

Having said that, many jewellers and people with little to no clue will pretend they do know what they're talking about out of pride or expectation.

But seriously, jewellers know nothing about vintage watches.

John R Smith and STANDY like this.
  10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 13, 2015

It is all about carrying out due diligence.

Unless the whole essence of this hobby has changed dramatically over the last year, the way it has always been done is to study and then study some more and then study even more. Buy books, spend countless hours trawling the internet, ask questions and study pictures.

To me, this is half of the fun and interest of collecting vintage watches. Unfortunately what we have seen a lot of recently, is people with some cash, reading that a certain watch - be if a 2998 or an A386 el Primero, or whatever - shooting up in value and they want one RIGHT NOW. We have all paid our "tax" at some time or other because of inadequate due diligence but people now seem just to want these watches because they can make a profit and expect priceless advice at the drop of a hat without having to put in any sort of effort and without having to pay a broker or dealer.

There is one watch that I have been seeking for over two years now having researched it thoroughly, learned what to look for and what to avoid. One day I will find this watch in the condition I want and when I do, the money is waiting. Soon after, you will all see what has been itching for so long but until then, you'll just have to keep guessing because that one is being kept firmly under my hat.

John R Smith and STANDY like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 13, 2015

The above two post,s and spacefruits should be attached to all new posts from noobs asking for help. You three guys are gems among many on this site.:thumbsup:

Slevin kelevra likes this.
  12. 250scr Jan 13, 2015

Ok, I thought there was more to it. I would have thought there must be a test or at least in the field experience for a few years to be able to be a jeweler. I guess there is no certification or anything then. Thank you

13. 250scr Jan 13, 2015

Time and effort. Got it. Thank you

Stewart H and STANDY like this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 13, 2015

To expand on this - no jewelers are not experts, and I would not expect them to be. Many jewelers don't even deal in watches. For example I have a friend who is a jeweler/goldsmith, and he knows nothing about watches other than what he can Google on any given topic, and what I tell him when he asks me a question.

Even people dealing in watches rarely know everything about every watch out there. Given that the Speedmaster alone has had a whole book devoted to it, to expect watch dealers (or even most watchmakers for that matter) to know all the fine details that collectors do about all watches from all brands is unreasonable.

The people here are for the most part passionate collectors, who devote extraordinary amounts of time to this hobby. Even with the very knowledgeable group here about Omegas, there is even further specialization with certain Omegas. Some know a ton about Speedmasters, some about Constellations, and some the vintage manual winds. I'm not sure anyone here knows everything about all Omegas, and Omega is just one brand of many.

Cheers, Al

STANDY likes this.
  15. 250scr Jan 13, 2015

Makes more sense now. Thank you