Forums Latest Members

How to tell if a seller is trustworthy?

1. Akkad Mar 9, 2019

So I am very new to the forum, but I very keen to purchase a piece in the near future.

Can you guys give me any advice as to how may posts/ likes or previous sales would make a seller appear trustworthy? I know that is very subjective, but maybe just a minimum? Or any offer advice you would offer?

Thanks in advance.

2. WYO_Watch Mar 9, 2019

Every private seller (barring a few grandfathered in accounts) have 200 posts at a minimum to sell in the FS section. However, posts alone shouldn’t be an indicator of trustworthiness IMO.

You can definitely scroll through posts, but I think it’s likely a better indicator of if they use the forum to sell their wares or if they’re addicting to learning about watches. I.E. if all their posts are FS ads and bumps then who cares if they have 2k posts. A better indicator is talking with them.

Many of them have reviews here: https://omegaforums.net/forums/watch-seller-profiles/

I also like to see a few people like a sales posts before I take the plunge. That usually reassured me that the piece is objectively attractive.

3. JanV Mar 9, 2019

One suggestion is to check the sellers activities, as well his interactions with other members on this forum and check his past sales.

A member with several successful sales in the past should create some trust, but can of course not be considered a guarantee. Also keep all communications as according to the OF rules, thru the OF and not by separate emails.

F2F is always preferable but not always possible so also a WhatsApp or Facetime video call can set up trust quite well and you can check that the person is in possession of the watch in question.

But remember that thrust goes both ways, so please also think what you can do in order to add trust to the transaction.

4. DanMarin Mar 9, 2019

Other suggestion will be that the seller to accept paypal for buyer protection..

5. Braindrain Mar 9, 2019

Sometimes sellers also want trustworthy buyers....

George.A, Larry S, tikkathree and 7 others like this.
  6. mr_yossarian Mar 9, 2019

This.

WYO_Watch and JanV like this.
  7. Eve Mar 9, 2019

I had an intersesting experience as a seller recently. I met up with the potential buyer f2f. And he had the chance to investigate the watch. Then the seller agreed to my asking price and we ageed to meet again in a few days for the transaction (cash vs item). We shook hands... then he told me that he would also need a copy of my identification. Seriously? I understand if we had an online deal, but why would someone want my id on a f2f deal? Is this a common practise nowadays? I feel a bit torn. I dont have any reasons not to trust the buyer, just feel uncomfortable giving him my private data.

chronoboy64 likes this.
  8. Muddlerminnow Mar 9, 2019

Well, when I buy a watch, whether online, f2f, from a dealer, or anywhichway, I ask for an invoice that gives the seller's information, as well as the sales price, etc. This is helpful for insurance purposes, and any other possible issues down the road. The invoice will have the seller's name and address and phone or email on it too. When sellers refuse to provide such an invoice in advance of payment, it raises a red flag for me.

wouter van wijk and Larry S like this.
  9. Eve Mar 9, 2019

What insurance purposes? If a seller sales a fake? Well i offered to go together to a Omega store or a watchmaker on buyers preference to verify authenticity. Beside, the watch has still valid Omega Garanty.
    I would not mind giving my full name and phone nummer or email, but i dont feel safe giving my home address. What if it is a scammer, i wouldnt want to endanger my family..

10. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Mar 9, 2019

There is no minimum, it has nothing at all to do with post count.

11. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Mar 9, 2019

Did you ask for his ID in return? Seems logical.

chronoboy64 likes this.
  12. Muddlerminnow Mar 9, 2019

Proof of purchase price. And date of purchase. This goes alongside appraisals. It generally doesn't matter much until you need to file a claim....when it then really matters...

Edited Mar 9, 2019
  13. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 9, 2019

If he has your full name, he can easily find your address online. Best to keep talk to a minimum about what watches (and other $$ items) you collect and have at home when you are dealing with a stranger.

Eve likes this.
  14. Eve Mar 10, 2019

Yes i did, and he said its fine if we exchange. But its not like im happy giving away my ids anyway.

15. Eve Mar 10, 2019

What if you are not the first owner, there is no proof of price or date (only the stamped warranty card).
    I still dont underatand in what case would you want to file a claim on a private sale, after you have examined the item in person (unless you were sold a fake).

16. Muddlerminnow Mar 10, 2019

The insurance is for loss, not fakes: fire, flood, theft. Usually you'd have a rider on your insurance policy for this, and the insurance company will want to have an invoice/proof of payment/serial number for an expensive item. Individual insurance companies have their own requirements--. The key thing is if/when you file a claim, which I have had to do twice, once for a flood and once for theft, having good records, and an invoice, helps. The invoice could also be handy in the unfortunate event the watch is discovered to have been stolen when you should try to sell it. Provenance matters.

If all this is too much for you in terms of worry, my suggestion is to sell through a third party. The vintage bamboo rod guys I fish with do this often, losing 15-20% of the sale to the dealer who manages the transaction, and who keeps your identity secret from the buyer (but who keeps records of who you are nonetheless).

Eve likes this.
  17. Eve Mar 10, 2019

Ok, i understand now! Thank you for good explanation, it makes sence now, i have never thought of it this way.

Muddlerminnow likes this.