Forums Latest Members
  1. fzhu052 May 22, 2019

Hi Everyone, recently I bought a spare movement and got it serviced. I intend to use it later. I am wondering how I am going to store it. Right now it is in a simple round plastic case. I have no idea what is the ‘proper’ way. :). Thanks, Frank

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 22, 2019

All new movements I've bought come in a simple round plastic case. Mostly configured for the movement.

As long as you keep dust and moisture at bay you will be OK.

Waltesefalcon and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Evitzee May 22, 2019

Keep it in cool, dry, dark place and it'll be ok.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 23, 2019

How much "later" do you intend to use it?

Movements can come in different types of packaging, some for long term storage and some for short term. The "round plastic case" that you are describing and that Jim describes are not designed for long term storage. This is typically how movements come in bulk, and they are intended to be used pretty much right away. I have received movements like this as you can see here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The small plastic containers are not sealed, and are barely dust proof. I don't use them right away, but I do service them before use, as I would never trust a movement that has been sitting in one of these containers for years. When you buy new movements from various vendors as I'm assuming Jim has done, you never know how long the movement has been sitting if it's packed this way, so you might be buying a new movement that requires immediate servicing.

Movements stored for long periods of time and intended to be used into the future are typically stored in sealed foil packs, like this:

[​IMG]

Those packs are dated so you know the year and week of production (17th week of 2012 in this case). Inside that pack is the movement in one of those round plastic containers, and as you can see the package is filled with an inert gas that protects the oils in the movement as long as the package is sealed:

[​IMG]

So I hope you are planning to use the movement you just had serviced fairly soon, because if you are thinking of putting it in the watch years from now, it may very well require a service again before it is used. You could possibly put this inside another container or sealed bag to help keep dust out, but it won't stop the oils from degrading over time.

Cheers, Al

5. ext1 May 23, 2019

A question - so is the foil storage method probably how omega Bienne keeps their 321 parts? I thought they were frozen around in the 1960s after they ceased parts production. Or would they keep them still in their freezer?

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 23, 2019

I don't think anyone keeps watch parts in the freezer.

Parts are typically stored in sealed packages, like this seconds wheel:

[​IMG]

This is a rotor bearing:

[​IMG]

As long as the parts don't rust, that is all that is really required, as most parts are cleaned before use when they removed from the package.

BenBagbag, Etp095 and ext1 like this.
  7. fzhu052 May 23, 2019

Al, for us amateur collectors, I don't see a 'pro' version of homemade storage. It seems the 'right' way should have 2 functions: 1) sealed (dust proof). 2) filled with inert gas (protect the oil). If, say, we want to store the movement for 5 years, does a vacuum air-tight bag (thinking of Foodsaver) work? How much the oil will degrade (say 5 years)? Thanks, Frank

8. 77deluxe May 23, 2019

Store them where you can find them when you need them.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 24, 2019

I don't know that there is a good "home made" solution. Ideally you would have had the movement serviced when it was needed, not years in advance. My suggestion would be to get the movement evaluated at the time you plan to use it, to see if performance has degraded and if oils have evaporated.