Forums Latest Members

How to open a Longines Ultronic

1. Sgt_Bilko Nov 9, 2015

I purchased a Longines Ultronic a couple of years ago. This is a tuning fork watch and the battery has run out. On my other tuning fork watches I have no difficulty removing the case back but I am somewhat lost over how this is achieved with the Longines.

I have a few images from the original seller showing the back and one where it is removed so I wondered if anybody knows how it's done. Does the Longines require a special tool? I can't see any kind of lip to prise off the back cover and it doesn't have grooves on the back like my other tuning fork watches that are easily unscrewed.

15931070d.jpg $_58-2.JPG $_58-1.JPG
    Edited Nov 9, 2015
  2. ulackfocus Nov 9, 2015

There is a special wrench for that, but you might get away with using packing tape rolled up with the sticky side out. There's no medallion to ruin, so have at it.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 9, 2015

4. Sgt_Bilko Nov 9, 2015

Thanks for your help. I'll try the tape trick. I have a rubber ball watch case opener arriving in the post fairly soon so I'll try that as well if necessary. I presume the proper tool wouldn't cost that much if needed.

This video shows the rubber ball in case some of you may not have seen it.

5. Sgt_Bilko Nov 9, 2015

Just as a quick update the sticky tape worked!

6. ulackfocus Nov 9, 2015

;) :thumbsup:

In the interest of full disclosure, I've done that trick on quite a few Longines with those exact style casebacks. No watches were ever harmed in the making of this thread.

7. vinn2 Nov 9, 2015

I think; first; very good of you to ask. there are tools ,but those flats are easy to round over. second; the torque required to screw it back on - con be a problem. i have a hamilton electric [that runs] with a very ugly back.