Forums Latest Members

How to maintain / clean my new strap.. & some questions.

1. SunTiger Jun 3, 2020

Hi everyone.. got this really nice leather Omega Nato (I posted another thread about it too, you may have seen it) but wanted to have a separate topic for this question.

[​IMG]

Paid and arm & leg for it.. and now that I have worn for a few days, I am really loving it.

I did manage to get some marks on the bottom, from my desk while working. Nothing major.. I googled "how to clean leather watch straps" and found to use a SMALL amount of water on a cloth, with some soap and rub it out.

So I did.

Nothing too much, just a little. The marks came out.. but, now I see "light" patches where I rubbed. :-/

Back to google, and searching more on the forums like this.. saw that you should condition the leather too. But, if you did not want to do that you could use some olive oil. So, again, being super careful I just placed a *tiny* amount of olive oil on my finger tip.. and gently rubbed the entire band with it. I saw right away that it made the whole thing darker.. (hoping this will bounce back). but, more hope that it will help even everything out.

lol.. oh boy. So, this got me thinking of a few things that I honestly know nothing about..

1. Next time I see a "mark" from wear.. I guess I should I just leave it? Perhaps this is the "character" that needs to happen for the band. I dont daily wear it.. its in rotation with two other natos.. so, maybe every three days etc..

2. How long should this band last. When I googled this.. I saw the average lifespan is 18-months! LOL. I was kinda shocked to see that. I was thinking that as this thing ages, it would become even nicer.. so was thinking more like 10 years or more! I know this depends on a lot of conditions.. does it get wet, humidity etc.. but, assuming normal wear and tear, not wearing it too tight and well cared for, while in rotation with other bands.. and thinking about this *specific* grade of leather that Omega is using.. what do you think for real world life span?

Anyway.. newbie here with leather. I did search a bunch, but has been so impressed with all the quick and detailed answers I have gotten here so far. Wanted to throw this up.

Thanks guys,

Travis

BenStolz likes this.
  2. Evitzee Jun 3, 2020

I'd use no more than a soft, clean microfiber towel. Oil does not belong on this kind of leather. It will pick up marks as you wear it and it will turn darker, that's how soft leather works. If you wear it carefully in rotation it should last 5-10 years.

Omega says it is Novonappa which is a brand name of Tanneries Haus. You should find care instructions if you search on that name. I think it is similar to Barenia leather. High grade calf skin.

Edited Jun 3, 2020
    SunTiger likes this.
  3. SunTiger Jun 3, 2020

Sounds good! Thanks :)

4. jsducote Jun 3, 2020

Be careful with leather conditioners too. I used a top-shelf brand intended for shoes on a leather watch strap only to have it give me a rash the next time I wore it, and I do not have sensitive skin or break out easily. I gave it a very gentle bath of plain water and it's fine now. I've come to the conclusion that leather needs to look a little bit lived-in. It may scuff up a bit, but it'll soften on its own with use.

OllieOnTheRocks likes this.
  5. SunTiger Jun 3, 2020

Oh no! Good advice. Glad you were able to fix it!

6. JwRosenthal Jun 3, 2020

Never use cooking oils (like olive oil), they go rancid over time. As said before, let it age- it was well conditioned at the tannery. The oils from you skin will permeate it and it will darken on its own. If it were to dry out rapidly from something like salt water exposure, followed by a day in the sun, then yes, leather conditioner or oils may be needed but they will darken the leather.

Tequila-007 likes this.
  7. Donn Chambers Jun 3, 2020

+1 on this. The strap does not need to cleaned or conditioned on a daily or even weekly basis. Just wear it. If it gets wet, let it dry. My experience with this strap is that water marks do not stain, they dry out and leave no marks.

You will not be able to keep the strap from darkening over time — this is the nature of this type of leather. It’s not dirt, it’s patina.

the strap will last a lot longer than 18 months. The one pictured in my avatar is at least 3 years old now, and still going strong. Many people throw out a strap when it doesn’t look “brand new” but the strap is still in good shape.

8. SkunkPrince Jun 3, 2020

Allen Edmonds has two products... "Cleaner and Conditioner" for shoes. Do not use on watch straps. "Leather Lotion" softens not-shoe leathers but (almost never) darkens them. This I use on watch straps. They intend it for anything leather they sell that is not a shoe. So, belts, wallets, junk like that.

I mostly use it on NOS straps I buy. Anything that is used regularly is likely fine without it unless it gets wet too many times.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  9. JwRosenthal Jun 3, 2020

Anyone who wants to throw out straps like these because they don’t look brand new- please PM me and I will dispose of them appropriately.

DavPM, DaveK, Donn Chambers and 2 others like this.
  10. JwRosenthal Jun 3, 2020

This is a good tip- but always test on a section under the visible area before committing to doing the strap.
    Saphir makes a premium line of leather cleaners/treatments for things like jackets and handbags (straps would fall into this category) - but only use if truly soiled and a damp clean rag won’t take care of it- and always test to complete dry-down first.

DaveK likes this.
  11. amcclell Jun 3, 2020

For watch straps, I just leave them be and wear them. Boots get saddle soap and dubbin twice a year. Belts get leather conditioner every 5 years or so. Both of these darken leather considerably but make it last longer. I don't do either for watch straps. If they get wet from rain, or the faucet, I just let them dry. The natural changes and marks that occure through normal wear and tear are part of the character that give leather its appeal. When I used to have one watch that I wore every day, a good strap would last 2 years and a cheap strap would last 1 year. Now that I rotate watches, straps last 4 - 10 years.

pikachu25 likes this.
  12. Eric304 Jun 3, 2020

I just let it be. Aged looks better IMO.

pikachu25 likes this.
  13. Alex_TA Jun 4, 2020

You wear it and when it's finished you put it into the wastebasket.
    That's the only maintenance which works.

pikachu25 and Vercingetorix like this.
  14. Widows Son Jun 4, 2020

I'm not sure the confusion. Leather is leather whether its a car seat, watchband, or holster. If it gets really grungy use saddle soap, let it dry, and then treat it with Lexol conditioner. If I wear a strap in the Summer and it gets sweaty, I'd wipe it off with plain water to remove any salt, then let it airdry before putting it in the safe.

pikachu25 likes this.
  15. base615 Jun 5, 2020

Pop it in the dishwasher *

* Don't do this. Just leave it.

16. s2000_driver Jun 5, 2020

That is Barenia/Novonappa leather. There is no need to condition it as it already has enough oils/fats. It is not a "dry" leather. Light scratches on this leather will disappear if you gently rub it with your finger. Always go in the opposite direction of the scratch first - if the scratch is left to right, gently rub right to left a couple of times followed by circular motions. If it is a deep scratch, it will get better over time but won't disappear. This leather is made to age (develop patina). There is no way to keep it looking new. Do not worry about marks from daily wear. As the leather ages and gets darker, it will look very nice.

Tequila-007 likes this.