Forums Latest Members

How to learn more about watches?

1. Cosd Mar 22, 2016

I know I'm not going to pick up in 5 minutes what some people have spent years studying, but how can i start to get to grips with what is desirable and what's not. The differences in the movements and advantages of one over another!

It's so confusing when I'm looking at two watches, both say 20 years old, they look identical yet one is a lot more expensive than the other. I appreciate auto over quartz, price difference, but I have no idea about which movement to look at.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 22, 2016

Be patient and enjoy the process, that's all. You will always be somewhere between Complete ignorance and knowledgeable.

Ask questions and pay attention to other people's questions and answers. Even then don't take the first or second answer as axiom. Follow up on the details through searches and other forums and soon enough you'll be able to discern for yourself.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 22, 2016

Great way to start is movements. Read a lot about them and go from there.

Also style of watch. You need to pick what you like because desirable to me is different to others.

Pick what you like and research it for a few days if not weeks. This will lead to knowledge of all sorts as comparing similar styles and movements are part of research.

So what interests you at the moment ?

Nobel Prize likes this.
  4. lillatroll Mar 22, 2016

Hello
    There are so many watches out there that it can feel overwhelming trying to learn about them. I get quite dizzy thinking about it. There are reference books like moon watch only and A journey through time. Obviously the forum is a major help. In order to learn more, if I see a watch I want to buy then I try to learn as much as possible about the watch and variants of it. I think asking here helps but try to offer some insite of what you know already as it shows that you want to be part of the community and not just letting someone else do all the work. Speedies are a nightmare to work out for the unitiated, they all look the same :whistling:

5. Cosd Mar 22, 2016

Having looked at one at the Omega boutique and seeing so many posts on the Moon Watch, this seems to be something I that is drawing my attention. Buying one new is easy'ish, but since I'll probably be looking at used, that's where it gets complicated.

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 22, 2016

Start with basic and narrow down from there.

1- what do you like about the watch? The looks, the history?
    2- let's say you want the historic value of the model to carry on into your piece. what is your lifestyle? Can you handle a vintage and the money and care they need? As much as you like purity can you handle a manual watch versus and automatic? Accept that in either case you have a watch that is not quartz and that will have variances in time etc. If you decide you want history then start at the beginning. Pre moon, moon, transitional. You will slowly find the piece that meets look and budget.

Conversely you may decide that you want all that but your watch has to be reliable and modern and have water proof capabilities, then you start looking closer in dates and budgets....

Or you may say " I just need a nod, a wink of respect towards the history but I rather have an automatic with Saphire case back, or blue, or orange, or a dark side or gray side etc....

While you do this browse the sales section here and elsewhere and do searches for the models that catch your attention. Wjat makes this one different or more appealing? Why is that one so expensive? Why does @ulackfocus prefer the quartz movement ( what does he know we don't)

By the time you finish answering these questions you will be a speedy aficionado and you will be ready to ask yourself and others the right questions and understand the answers. Then you're ready to buy... But wait , what's that? A seamaster what?

And start over.

4 to 5 hours of browsing will get you much further than you may think.....although I'm assuming you're a millennial which means 4 to 5 hours focused work probably will feel like a year.

Have fun

Giff2577 and KstateSkier like this.
  7. KstateSkier Mar 22, 2016

I will caution you. Once you start hanging out on here reading about watches, learning, shopping. Suddenly your productivity is in the toilet and you've got a light checkbook and a box full of beauty!

ahartfie likes this.
  8. Jminchoi Mar 22, 2016

As mentioned above, be patient and keep reading and learning.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 22, 2016

After a couple years you will pick up all you need to know, 3 years later you will be surprised at how dumb you were. Three years later again, you will start to know what it is you don't know and where you do know something. You will then feel pretty confident that you know who to ask about a particular watch before handing over money to someone else that you don't know.

STANDY and Nobel Prize like this.
  10. Cosd Mar 22, 2016

Thank you, that is very helpful!

11. ulackfocus Mar 22, 2016

Cosd likes this.
  12. Cosd Mar 22, 2016