Forums Latest Members

How to. ... GMT function and travel

1. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jun 15, 2016

Hi there,

A couple of weeks ago I was travelling the following timezones:

Start: NY... (-5)
    Stopover: Paris (-1) ... one day
    Destination: London (0) ... 2 weeks

So how do you use the gmt function the smartest way. Assume a Rolex gmt watch.

What I did I had the watch on home time, then when arriving in Paris I set the bezel for local time. Then when arriving in London (longer stay) I put the regular hands at local time (to grasp time at first glance) and set home time on the bezel.

How would you handle the situation ? Is there a smarter way to do this.

I guess I am somewhat thrown off by the hybrid of using the normal and gmt hand abroad.

Thoughts?

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 15, 2016

I would just keep the bezel at NYC time since it's home and (if you have a quick set GMT) adjust the time to Paris and then London which takes about 5 seconds to do. This way the bezel is always at Home and the watch is always at destination or where you are at present. If you where a pilot or jumping time zones left and right within a day then I would use the bezel only for the time zone jumps and keep the time of Home or GMT in dial. As a rule I like the main time to reflect where I am at and the bezel where I am coming from or where I have business with or whatever secondary time zone I have to keep track of.

nlogax, Foo2rama and OMGRLX like this.
  3. Vitezi Jun 15, 2016

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 15, 2016

You did it one way. I prefer the other way. Set local to the hands and bezel to home. Its infinitely easier to tell time that way. Your brain is trained to tell local time on the hands so when you do it your way you have to do mental gymnastics everytime you need to read the more important time which is local.

5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 15, 2016

For my GMT - a 16710 - dial hour/minute set to local, GMT hand to GMT time, and I use my brain to calculate home time.

The Pepsi bezel is set to "look cool".:D

6. sky21 Jun 15, 2016

I like the @Darlinboy method. I am a pilot and I leave my watch set to home time always. Then I use my phone to check local time quickly or just do the quick math in my head.

7. obstando Jun 15, 2016

First I would double check your times as Paris should be +1 if London is 0

timjohn and Nobel Prize like this.