Forums Latest Members
  1. bgrisso Jun 17, 2016

Hi everyone,
    I spent about a year doing research on vintage speedies before I felt comfortable buying. Great online resources for that. Just recently discovered UG but a total newb at the moment. Whats the best way to get educated?
    The fact that dial, hand combos are not standard based on ref #, and the higher price point, makes it a real challenge.
    I could just start posting eBay sales and ask for feedback, but not sure if that gets annoying.
    Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thx

2. gop76 Jun 17, 2016

The UG world is strange and fascinating but full of traps.

I have been interested in UG for the last two or three years, i'm still learning and almost everyday i realize how small is my knowledge.

Saying that, i'm ready to help everytime i have something to say otherwise i'll be shut leastning what others more experienced have to say.

P.S. - An avatar would be great

littlesheep81 likes this.
  3. ELV web Jun 17, 2016

1) sala book
    2) this forum :)

khmt2, Larry S, aap and 2 others like this.
  4. littlesheep81 Jun 17, 2016

Ditto. I learn at least one or ten new things here everyday....

bazamu likes this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 18, 2016

The book is wonderful but you really need to understand how to use it. The experts on this forum are invaluable! I'd also add that this forum is an excellent venue to buy and sell. There are a lot of sharks in these waters.

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 18, 2016

Do a Google search for "tulipmania". :rolleyes:

(Note that the joke only applies to certain models, and that there is at least a little truth in most humor.)

7. bgrisso Jun 23, 2016

Thx everyone. Have purchased the book. Is the book only useful for case reference or is it also useful for dial and hands? I'm aware variations are normal but not sure to what degree.

8. gop76 Jun 23, 2016

UG moves in a mysterious way, welcome to his world...

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 23, 2016

The book is a great resource but dials are directional at best. Plus I've been told that a lot of the bw pics are actually re dials. Plus later production of the dress chrono cases is not shown. Best to leverage to forum if you have questions. I am told there are secret and sacred volumes stored in a mountain cave on the Swiss Italian border that only the anointed have access to......:(:(