Forums Latest Members

How to get a Baume et Mercier appraisal?

1. northarldad Aug 25, 2018

I have a 1980s B&M watch but no idea of the value. I have scoured the web, and not found anything. Hoping someone here will have a few constructive thoughts on how to get this watch appraised.

Thanks, in advance.

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 25, 2018

Have you tried eBay SOLD listings?

3. OmegaSean Aug 26, 2018

chrono24 they have lots of vintage watches on the site to compere?
    OmegaSean

4. Davidt Aug 26, 2018

You'll also need to understand the differences between various appraisals, insurance valuations and valuations from various sources.

A typical insurance valuation will value watches/jewellery at up to 5x actual market value.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. northarldad Aug 26, 2018

Thanks. I have yet to find the same model watch anywhere, thus my problem finding a basic appraisal.

6. Dan S Aug 26, 2018

Maybe you can explain exactly what you are looking for. An official appraisal for insurance purposes? An approximate valuation for use as a buyer or seller?

If you'd like help from the experts on the forum, you should provide photos of the watch and the model/reference #.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. northarldad Aug 26, 2018

Dear Dan: Thanks and good advice.

I had posted in an earlier post that got no replies. I am seeking to get a sense of fair market value. I am interested in buying a Omega Speedmaster moonwatch with the sale proceeds.

Here are photos from the watch. I believe it is a Van Cleef and Arpel version of a B&M from the early 1980s.

#s on back at

I have asked an auction house for an estimate with no luck. B&M itself has not been responsive.

Any and all leads appreciated.

Jon

bm.jpg bm1.jpg bm4.jpg bm3.jpg
  8. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Aug 26, 2018

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 26, 2018

Quartz though...

I don’t see hallmarks either. The only ones of these I see are hand wound which would price them higher.

Really hard to gauge but I’d guess it would get about 5-600 is on eBay at most with a chance of a lot less.

Dan S and Archer like this.
  10. michael22 Aug 26, 2018

Hallmarks may be inside the case back.

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. northarldad Aug 27, 2018

12. Davidt Aug 27, 2018

1. They are an established jeweller and will treat a Watch such as this like a piece of jewellery (I.e. A private seller will likely get around a quarter, max, of their asking price).

2. Theirs is a mechanical which is more desirable than a quartz.

The diamonds are small and won't add much value to your watch.

I'd say the estimate that @Foo2rama gave is probably accurate.

Edited Aug 27, 2018
    Foo2rama likes this.
  13. Dan S Aug 27, 2018

That website shows a mechanical watch, which is more valuable than quartz, but still that $2,500 asking price is absurd.

Unfortunately, a quartz watch like this is not of interest to collectors, so it's basically a pre-owned fashion watch, not a collectible vintage watch. I would take a look at some of the pre-owned consignment sites like therealreal and truefacet, but keep in mind that yours is quartz, and also that their asking prices are often about 50% over market value.

The watch is small, so the scrap value of the gold and diamonds is also not going to be very high. My gut feeling agrees with @Foo2rama that you would be very lucky to get $500, and that's assuming it's solid gold.

michael22 and Foo2rama like this.
  14. northarldad Aug 27, 2018

Thanks all for the thoughtful and informed input. Very helpful and appreciated. OF a terrific resource.

15. northarldad Sep 14, 2018

FYI I found out a bit more from B&M. It is a 1970s Diamant Quartz with 18k gold and a sapphire crystal. I am getting it appraised as a piece of jewelry for the gold and diamond value and then will see what I can to do with it. Thanks

16. Davidt Sep 14, 2018

Make sure they are clear on what the appraisal is for - is it the value or the insurance value?

Bear in mind their appraisal may well be 2-5x what a private seller would achieve in a sale. If you have any doubt about this, once they have appraised it, see if they wish to purchase it for close to their valuation.