Forums Latest Members
  1. hmss007 May 10, 2018

Hi all,

I'm starting to think it would be cool to have an Omega Seamaster (with white/silver dial) from my son's birth year - which is 2000. Unfortunately, my Google-fu is not strong and I'm having trouble searching for Omega Seamasters from the year 2000 - I end up getting Cosmic 2000 or other results that are not my intent.

Any suggestions from the the Omega experts on how I can see what Omega made in 2000 so I know if there's even something of interest? The vintage site doesn't go to 2000 and as you know, my Google-fu is not strong.

Thanks in advance.

Edited May 10, 2018
  2. AnotherDon May 10, 2018

Thinking about the Omegas that I owned back then, I would recommend Seamaster America's Cup 2533.50. This a pic of the one I owned until it was borrowed by my older son. Even though the pic shows the watch on a rubber dive strap, there is a stainless steel bracelet in the cupboard that belongs to the watch.

Another alternative is the Seamaster GMT 2534.50 with black dial and 2538.20 with white dial.

These two pics dhould give you a feel for what Seamasters of the period looked like...

The America's Cup...

DSCN1782.JPG

Seamaster GMT...

DSCN0747.JPG

Hope that helps you.

ulackfocus likes this.
  3. ulackfocus May 10, 2018

Sounds like the premise for a scifi-horror movie.

4. Dan S May 10, 2018

I had one of those GMTs, that takes me back. Very substantial, nice to wear and good looking. Great bracelet.

SuperHero likes this.
  5. SuperHero May 10, 2018

That GMT is awesome. Prefer this bracelet as well over the later one.

6. dxholdren May 10, 2018

That GMT can be found for very reasonable prices. Plenty of bang for the buck with that piece

7. padders Oooo subtitles! May 11, 2018

I don’t think finding a Seamaster model which was on sale in 2000 will be the issue, it’ll be how you verify the year. Date on papers, serial, extract? These could give 3 different answers, serials back then are pretty difficult to use for dating.

Oh and the most of the suggestions so far don’t really help with white/silver dial. You’ll be limited in that requirement, there was the Great White GMT of course but those are rare and pretty expensive vs the black dial version. I think the white dial Bond SM 300m was discontinued by 2000 but there may have been a SM 120m model with white still about maybe. There was also a silver dial Omegamatic 200m still on sale in 2000 but I wouldn’t really recommend those as the movements can be troublesome if not worn constantly.

You won’t go far wrong with a black 2254 or blue 2531 Bond but as I said above how you verify the 2000 link may be tricky.

Edited May 11, 2018
  8. omegaswisst May 11, 2018

+1 for 2254.50

Even though it does not have a white or silver dial you should check it out in person if you can.

Edited May 11, 2018
  9. SuperHero May 11, 2018

I have been keeping my eye out for one but what price would the group say to be reasonable?

10. SuperHero May 11, 2018

Was there any model that was launched and only for sale in 2000...even if it sold a year later, it would still be a 2000, correct?

11. hmss007 May 11, 2018

By chance does anyone have a catalog or something that might have some pictures of what was on sale in 2000?

I really appreciate everyone's feedback on this thread, it's very enlightening.

I can add a bit more context on what I would be interested in finding. I have a 2017 Aqua Terra 150M with the slate blue dial and I also have a 2012 Planet Ocean with black dial. I love both of them and I'm thinking to round out my collection with a 3rd Omega that has a white or silver dial but it needs to have some sentimental value, thus the birth year of my son. I'd also like to keep it in the Seamaster family if possible. I'm thinking something more dressy as I'd probably only wear it on special occasions, etc.

Since I'm not even sure what was available during that time, there might not even be something I'd like during that year.

I might go to my Omega Boutique this weekend as they have some fo the Omega books that have the history of their watches in them, maybe they have some pages on year 2000 watches. :)

All that said, I do like the Great White GMT. I also am going to see if they have something in the style of Seamaster DeVille and/or Constellation. Caveat there is I don't think they actually say Seamaster on the dial (which is something I'd really like).

Keep this conversation going and I'll update as I find out information too. If anyone figures out a good Google-fu to search for Seamasters from the year 2000, please share that here too.

Happy Friday!

12. AnotherDon May 11, 2018

I have a couple of references that I checked for you. First is the 2000 Wristwatch Annual. No help there. Then I dug a little deeper in the cupboard and found an Omega Catalogue from 2000. The only real Seamaster with other than a black or blue dial is the Great White GMT(2538.20). There are a couple of "Seamaster 120" with white or silver dial (2501.31 and 2501.21). Though these do have "Seamaster" on the dial, I doubt that these are what you're looking for. They are only 36mm.

A non-Seamaster alternative for your consideration is the Speedmaster Professional Moonphase (3575.20). It's not a Seamaster, obviously, but it does have a dial that is not black or blue.

DSCN1613.JPG

There are other lines, Constellation and De Ville, to name a couple that have white and silver dials. But my sense is that these are too dressy for your intended purpose. But even after you decide which watch works in your criteria, finding one for exactly 2000 will be a challenge.

Good luck with your quest.

SuperHero likes this.
  13. hmss007 May 11, 2018

@AnotherDon - Thank you! That is a good looking Speedy.

I'll add this one to my searches (along with the Great White GMT). :)

14. hmss007 May 11, 2018

If I were to find either a White GMT (2538.20) or a Speedmaster Professional Moonphase (3575.20), what would "reasonable" prices be? I would probably expect to send them in for service right after purchase (unless they had been recently serviced and under warranty), so I'm guessing there would be a $550 - $750 additional charge required.

Also, do the Omega extracts only go to 1999? I don't see any reference to them afterwards, so I'm guessing it's not possible to get one.

Finally, the Seamaster 120 is a very cool looking watch, but you are correct, a bit smaller than I'd like. :)

15. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 11, 2018

I believe the "Electric Blue" 2255.80 was around in 2000 :cool:

Sunny Blue.jpg

SuperHero likes this.