Forums Latest Members
  1. BatDad Apr 24, 2018

Hi all,

Long time lurker - first time question.

After many years of happily wearing modern speedies, and after much research, I've recently taken the plunge and acquired some older references. Very happy so far.

However, do folks have any guidance on how to locate a watchmaker in their region that can be trusted to service the watch?

I'm in the Boston, MA area, and my Ed White 'locks up' when I run the chrono for more than 15-30 mins. Seems to work just fine if I don't run the chrono - although, to my uneducated eye, it doesn't read so well when I've run it on a buddies timegrapher.

Thanks
    C.
    IMG_4266.jpg IMG_4388.jpg

Etp095 likes this.
  2. amanson Apr 24, 2018

I’m not sure about Boston, but beautiful Ed White you have!

Seaborg and BatDad like this.
  3. watchos Apr 24, 2018

Edited Apr 24, 2018
  4. airansun In the shuffling madness Apr 24, 2018

That’s a really nice watch. Be careful to whom you entrust it.

Search OF and you will find threads that both discuss this problem in 321 Speedmasters and the problems of finding competent service for them.

I always test a new watchmaker with an 861 or two first and see what I get back.

BatDad likes this.
  5. airansun In the shuffling madness Apr 24, 2018

Oh, you are a long time lurker. Sorry. You know this stuff already.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 24, 2018

Many times " local and good" is not the option. Many here send watches across the globe for service.

BatDad likes this.
  7. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Apr 25, 2018

If you want to keep it on the same continent you have our respected member @Archer.
    Swiss Time Services (UK) and Simon Freese Watchmakers (UK) service watches from all around the globe.

BatDad likes this.
  8. watchos Apr 25, 2018

@Archer was my first try. Didn’t have the bandwidth at the moment. :(

9. BatDad Apr 25, 2018

For sure - I went in to a local watch store to ask their process - and I started slowly walking backwards as they mentioned 'we send it off to Omega in Switzerland - will take 6 months!'

10. BatDad Apr 25, 2018

Yah, I suppose this being my first watch that I want to look at a service for I'm in that 'its new too me, so it makes me uncomfortable' phase. The tough thing I have is that I like wearing it - it's great. But I know I need to send it off. :(

11. BatDad Apr 25, 2018

BTW - does anyone know if you'd get hit with import duties to the States, if you send your watch off for repair, say to STS or Simon F, as opposed to it being a net new import?

12. BatDad Apr 25, 2018

But I'm still learning every day! :)

13. SgWatchBaron Apr 25, 2018

Not if you declare as repair and return...

BatDad likes this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 25, 2018

No you shouldn't.
    Several threads about it but easy enough. Contact watchmaker and get a signed decleration on company letter head and send one yourself and include it with the watch. Do the paperwork that's needed

Use Parcelpro insurance, and send via FedEx would be my choice for a Speedmaster like you have.

Search "Parcel-pro" and "import duty" in the search function

watchos and BatDad like this.