How to determine age/date for Speedmaster Racing 40mm

Folks, thanks in advance for any assistance offered here.

I purchased an Omega Speedmaster Racing 40mm: Ref: 326.30.40.50.04.001
On my Pictograms card it shows the "4-Year Warranty" pictogram, which implies to me that this watch pre-dates July 2018, since that is when Omega first introduced 5-year warranty's.

The International Warranty card is missing dealer stamp and dates, so I have no idea of the original purchase date and no idea of the production date. The seller acquired this watch from the original owner and isn't able to provide this information.

Apparently an extract from the archives is for watches at least 10years old, but also costs 120CHF and a certificate of authenticity is for watches of 30years or more old and costs 800CHF. Both of these options cost quiet a few $ and don't apply to me as my watch is less than 10-years old.

Anybody know how I can determine manufacture date of my watch since sale date seems out of the question <OR> what years was this watch produced?

PS. I tried one watchmaker who was able to match up the serial number with this reference but there was no data information given.

Thanks again folks

Only Omega knows for sure - try calling them.

Only Omega knows for sure - try calling them.
Hi Archer
I have an enquiry currently open with Omega and received a response today.
Omega have stated that they do not communicate the production information for each sole timepiece. However, they did confirm this watch model was introduced in early 2012. Currently I am waiting to see if they have any record of the date of sale, they are checking on that.
So, thus far it would appear that somewhere between 2012-2018, hopefully I can get closer.

I checked already some online resources which list Omega serial number ranges with dates but it seems that a new serial number system was introduced which means that idea didn't work for me.

Thanks for you reply.

Excellent news, Omega have responded with the following:
----------------------------------
I can confirm this watch was sold sometime after February 2017. The exact date and or place is unknown.

We hope to have been helpful to you and remain,
with kind regards,
Your OMEGA team.
------------------------------------
So, this Feb 2017 date seems to be the production date, whereas the sale date is unknown.
Probably the watch was not originally sold though an AD. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Excellent news, Omega have responded with the following:
----------------------------------
I can confirm this watch was sold sometime after February 2017. The exact date and or place is unknown.

We hope to have been helpful to you and remain,
with kind regards,
Your OMEGA team.
------------------------------------
So, this Feb 2017 date seems to be the production date, whereas the sale date is unknown.
Probably the watch was not originally sold though an AD. Is that a reasonable assumption?
No. They are only telling you the watch was sold after Feb 2017. No production date, no exact sale date, no selling place, no more than they said.

No. They are only telling you the watch was sold after Feb 2017. No production date, no exact sale date, no selling place, no more than they said.

Hi Subafan
Any idea how they could suggest "sold sometime after Feb2017" if the production and sale date is unknown?
This model has been in production since 2012 but is now no longer produced.
My theory is that the production date would be the only thing certain, using the serial number and reference number I provided

thanks
Respectfully

For exact production date, you will need to order an extract of archives from Omega. They have given you all the free info they have without going through their archives- which comes with a cost for the request.

Hi Subafan
Any idea how they could suggest "sold sometime after Feb2017" if the production and sale date is unknown?
This model has been in production since 2012 but is now no longer produced.
My theory is that the production date would be the only thing certain, using the serial number and reference number I provided

thanks
Respectfully

Respectfully, you have received all the information you can out of Omega on this (which is in and of itself surprising), yet you want even more details.

Omega (like most manufacturers) make parts of watches at different times, then assemble them together. They probably only know approximately when a batch of serial numbers were made, and when the watch was shipped off to a distributor. What happens after that is between the distributer, the AD, and the buyer.

Omega obviously shipped this watch to a regional distributor (think Swatch USA) somewhere in February 2017, so it had to have been sold after that. You are never going to know the exact date it was purchased since that was not included on your card, nor will you ever know exactly when it was produced until it is old enough that Omega will sell you an extract.

Why is this even important? it's a real watch, that's what you should be concerned about.

Respectfully, you have received all the information you can out of Omega on this (which is in and of itself surprising), yet you want even more details.

Omega (like most manufacturers) make parts of watches at different times, then assemble them together. They probably only know approximately when a batch of serial numbers were made, and when the watch was shipped off to a distributor. What happens after that is between the distributer, the AD, and the buyer.

Omega obviously shipped this watch to a regional distributor (think Swatch USA) somewhere in February 2017, so it had to have been sold after that. You are never going to know the exact date it was purchased since that was not included on your card, nor will you ever know exactly when it was produced until it is old enough that Omega will sell you an extract.

Why is this even important? it's a real watch, that's what you should be concerned about.

Hi Donn

I appreciate your input.
So, the story is that I bought this watch a great price from an ebay seller in Japan.
The watch was authenticated by eBays chosen authenticator and I checked it myself and its is all good.
The wooden box and outer box, plus the watch along with the cards and booklet are all in pristine "unused" condition, which is amazing.
So yes, I agree it is a real watch and its also the genuine article, which like you say is most important.

My reason for attempting to obtain the production and/or sale date was mainly so that I can:
1) Confirm how much time is left on my warranty (the pictograms card shows the 4-year warranty pictogram)
2) Ensure that I have the first service performed at approximately the correct interval
3) If at some point I sell this watch on the next owner may wish to know

I think these are valid reasons, primarily 1 and 2, although 3 is just for personal "interest".
Some folks find my attention to detail welcoming, others find it annoying.
Anyhow, February 2017 is close enough because that gives me an approximate 1year window - my warranty has expired.
Assuming if it was post Jul2018 I would have a 5-year pictogram.
Edited:

1- Assume your warranty has lapsed…and if watch is running, don’t worry about it.
2- Service the watch only when it is no longer keeping proper time
3- Tell any potential buyer what you got from Omega… but I doubt that someone interested in this watch would be that picky. If they are, order an extract of the archives and be done with it.

Voilà!! 👍

1- Assume your warranty has lapsed…and if watch is running, don’t worry about it.
2- Service the watch only when it is no longer keeping proper time
3- Tell any potential buyer what you got from Omega… but I doubt that someone interested in this watch would be that picky. If they are, order an extract of the archives and be done with it.

Voilà!! 👍

Merci, Monsieur
I have achieved what I set out to achieve.

Based on the information they used to give freely and now charge for, they can say it was sold after February 2017 because that is when Omega sold it to the distributor or retailer. Clearly it could have sat for some time before it was sold to the consumer.

Hi Donn

I appreciate your input.
So, the story is that I bought this watch a great price from an ebay seller in Japan.
The watch was authenticated by eBays chosen authenticator and I checked it myself and its is all good.
The wooden box and outer box, plus the watch along with the cards and booklet are all in pristine "unused" condition, which is amazing.
So yes, I agree it is a real watch and its also the genuine article, which like you say is most important.

My reason for attempting to obtain the production and/or sale date was mainly so that I can:
1) Confirm how much time is left on my warranty (the pictograms card shows the 4-year warranty pictogram)
2) Ensure that I have the first service performed at approximately the correct interval

I think these are valid reasons, primarily 1 and 2, although 3 is just for personal "interest".
Anyhow, February 2017 is close enough because that gives me an approximate 1year window - my warranty has expired.

fyi the wooden box is wrong for that model.

So I’m going to guess that this watch went grey market…. Most of these did hence why Omega could not give you the inservice date for warranty start.

these racings sat unsold for along time and there is always a bunch for sale. I’d also thought production had stopped before 2016…

So I’m going to guess that this watch went grey market…. Most of these did hence why Omega could not give you the inservice date for warranty start.

these racings sat unsold for along time and there is always a bunch for sale. I’d also thought production had stopped before 2016…

Hi Foo2ama
I am sure you are correct... there are many of these for sale on eBay and Chono24 at various prices ranging from $3500 - $5000.
I managed to get mine for $3000 including shipping and authentication. Attached is the presentation with the box. Do you recall what box/case the original watch was originally provided in?
If there is anybody on this forum that has bought one of these recently or is considering it, this may be interesting to them.

Thanks very much

Hi Donn

I appreciate your input.

Production date has no bearing on the amount of time left on your warranty since you have none. If the cards are not filled in by an AD (and yours clearly are not otherwise you would have a date of sale) then there is no manufacturer warranty applicable to the watch regardless of when it was sold. Since it was likely sold by a grey importer this is doubly so. One way to date a modern Omega is to look at serial numbers for known dated watches and interpolate from there, but you really need data from the same model and since that was never a big seller it will be tricky.
Edited:

Hi Foo2ama
I am sure you are correct... there are many of these for sale on eBay and Chono24 at various prices ranging from $3500 - $5000.
I managed to get mine for $3000 including shipping and authentication. Attached is the presentation with the box. Do you recall what box/case the original watch was originally provided in?
If there is anybody on this forum that has bought one of these recently or is considering it, this may be interesting to them.

Thanks very much

Original box would be the ubiquitous red “leather” box.

It’s nice to have the hang tag / date change dongle.

Hello, as an owner of a red dial racing model, i confirm the wooden box is the valid and the original box for this Racing models.

@CharlieM0uze, that's an interesting band. Where did you acquire it?

Thanks Blufinz52

I bought that band from an eBay seller (02strapswatchbands), who also has a separate website: 02straps.com
David at 02strapswatchbands is a great guy, very helpful and even sent me a replacement band without any issue due to a slight problem I had with the original. The strap is a 20mm band which I just about managed to squeeze into my 19mm lug width. This band I mainly use on my Longines which is currently away being serviced... so while I wait for some bands to arrive from overseas I thought I would try this and it certainly makes the watch pop!

PS... best NATO straps I have found are Alphapremier from blusharkstraps.com or Supreme NATO from crownandbuckle.com but finding a high quality 19mm black NATO with yellow stipe is proving to be quite a challenge.