Forums Latest Members

How to deal with a customer complaint properly.....

1. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 16, 2015

As I'm going on holiday soon, I decided to buy an inexpensive watch that I wouldn't worry about as a holiday wearer. After a bit of research I decided to order an Orient Blue Mako from an online retailer. The total cost was less than £105 inc. delivery from the USA to Scotland. This morning I received notification that after paying a smallish import duty, my watch was ready for collection from my local Post Office.

Then the bad stuff came to light. On opening the package, and examining the contents, it was patently obvious that the watch was not new, in fact it was well used. Mechancally it seems fine, but there were small scratches on the crystal and strap and a couple on the bezel. Damn :whipped:

Immediately I fired off am email to the vendor notifying them of the unsatisfactory supply and also informed my credit card company of the dispute. They were kind enough to inform me that the vendor had actually charged me twice as well. A second email was sent to the vendor. Double damn :mad:

Then came the redemption. About 2 hours after sending the emails, my phone went off. The number seemed a bit long for the UK, so I was intrigued. Lo and behold, it was a representative of the vendor. I steeled myself for some corporate bs regarding returns policy etc. Not a bit of it. In the interim, the vendor had sent me two emails apologising for the errors, promising me a full refund of both the transactions and telling me to keep the watch as compensation for their error. The phone call was a followup because I hadn't replied. The guy phoning me took full responsibility and reiterated their position. They didn't even ask for proof of the deficiencies. Bear in mind I'm an overseas low-spend, first-time customer.

As far as I'm concerned, this company has turned a bad situation to the good. So much so that I sent them pictures of the defective watch to help them in any dispute with their suppliers.

I understand that this situation shouldn't have happened in the first place, but the way this vendor dealt with it shows exemplary customer focus.

You will notice I haven't mentioned the vendor's name, as I don't want anyone to think I have any connection with them or in any way endorse them. I simply offer this experience as what I consider to be an example of the way to handle genuine disputes. Make of this what you will :D

Giff2577, TexasKevin, Geo! and 8 others like this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 16, 2015

Great story, glad it worked out. But where's the pics of the watch?

:)

Darlinboy likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Jul 16, 2015

Yeah, a free beater - that's already been "christened" so no need to worry about adding more scratches and dings! :thumbsup:

Really! ::confused2::

4. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 16, 2015

Well, just for y'all - a perfectly broken in holiday beater ::psy::

Broken in Mako.jpg

Nobel Prize and oddboy like this.
  5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 16, 2015

looks new to me....

6. Wongo Jul 16, 2015

Wish all CS department was like the one you just dealt with.

7. gee_cee Jul 17, 2015

Result. I wonder how a used watch could have been sent out as new in the first place though? A customer return which they hadn't checked over properly when it went back to them maybe..?

8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 17, 2015

I'm no Sherlock Homes but...
    "New" Packaging
    IMG_20150716_122150.jpg
    Scratched bezel and chipped crystal
    IMG_20150716_122548.jpg
    Scratched clasp
    IMG_20150716_122614.jpg

There were also some other clues such as the lack of protective coverings, broken springbar in the box, and a complete lack of original inserts except a dog-eared instruction booklet ;)

All that having been said, the basic fact remains that the reviews are pretty much spot on. What's not to like about a stylish, reliable automatic watch at this price point.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  9. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 17, 2015

Sheesh! That "new" watch looks like it was tested at the factory by an actual Mako!
    [​IMG]

Mouse_at_Large and Privateday7 like this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 17, 2015

Hate to think what the diver that wore it looks like now. :p:eek:
    gatorcpa

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 17, 2015

That is a terrifying picture!