Forums Latest Members

how to clean dial and hands ?

1. wolff Jun 15, 2017

hi all, can anybody recommend how i would go about cleaning hands and dials (minor dirt marks and corrosion on hands ?)

Thank You

image1 copy.jpg
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 15, 2017

Take it to a good watchmaker.

ChrisN, wristpirate and Stewart H like this.
  3. jimmyd13 Jun 15, 2017

When it comes to watches, on the whole, if you have to ask how to do something, don't do it.

Get a non-running junker, or six, from the local flea market and practice on those until you are absolutely convinced of your ability to do the job before you even think of messing with with the one above. Until then, pay the professionals. They're worth it.

bovecHD and blufinz52 like this.
  4. tmw57 Jun 15, 2017

Agree with all the above. Definitely get a few junk watches, then read as much as you can about this topic before you touch them.

Many watchmakers won't even touch a dial. Just too easy to destroy.

5. Canuck Jun 15, 2017

The word minor is the key word, here. What you are trying to clean, and how you go about it, can mean the problem(s) are worse! The watch might be 60+ years old, so I would suggest that you seek professional help, or put up with the blemishes.

wristpirate likes this.
  6. Edward53 Jun 15, 2017

Your question: Can I improve this watch myself without spending any money?
    Answer: No.
    Clarification: Your watch is a 1950s cal. 266 or similar with a nice untouched original dial. It is quite collectible the way it is and any attempt to clean it will almost certainly spoil it and badly hurt its value. Same applies to the hands, though a skilled watchmaker could probably improve them. It would need a service anyway if you plan to wear it and you could combine the two. Obviously that means paying out, but if you attempt it yourself it is 99% certain to end in disaster.

jimmyd13 likes this.
  7. tmw57 Jun 15, 2017

I need to retract my previous statement and say that I completely agree with Edward53...

But if you still wish to learn a bit about restoration, I see no harm in doing some research and fooling around with junk watches. This is how I began.