Forums Latest Members
  1. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Mar 26, 2015

Hi guys, happy to finally have my new Speedmaster 57'. Question to the experts... This watch was in the AD's showcase (not sealed up) and the bezel seems to have a bit of dis-coloring to it. The watch is new/mint no question and it seems normal over time, but I was curious on how to clean this without doing any damage? Is this aluminum or SS, any cloths I can use to clean the bezel up?
    Thanks everyone.

image.jpg
  2. lerxst Mar 26, 2015

3. KIMBER Mar 26, 2015

Wouldn't the AD try to clean it for you?

4. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Mar 26, 2015

Lerx, going to be honest with you, my Chrono does not jump like that. Does the microfiber take that light taint off easily?

I guess I could have asked Kimber, but I do not trust the guy doing the work in my AD's shop...
    They scratched my brand new Breitling bracelet when they were sizing it. I'm kind of a stickler about who does the work on my things. They're a fantastic AD, just not my preferred service center.

KIMBER likes this.
  5. KIMBER Mar 26, 2015

Good call then. A Cape Cod cloth might help out with cleaning.

6. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Mar 26, 2015

The cape cod cloth won't wear away the etched tachymetre numbers?

7. KIMBER Mar 26, 2015

You might wait for someone who has. I have used them on stainless which was etched and it did nothibg but clean. The etching was fine after. Perhaps someone will chime in with thier results.

Frunkinator likes this.
  8. speedyfan Mar 26, 2015

You can even use a little brasso on the stainless, should clean it right up.

Frunkinator likes this.
  9. KIMBER Mar 26, 2015

Do you know if it is stainless?

10. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Mar 26, 2015

I don't know...
    And I'm afraid of using anything that would polish it since it's actually a brushed finish

11. KIMBER Mar 26, 2015

Your right on with that. Both are polishes[CCcloths& Brasso] dishwashing soap would be the safest.

12. speedyfan Mar 26, 2015

I was just gonna say the same thing, start safe and use soap and water. If that doesn't work try a micro fiber cloth or a cape cod. If that doesn't work try some brasso or other metal polish and as always go slow and easy to see what works best.

Good luck! And you can't really hurt metal with a cloth or a light cleaning compound. ;)

13. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 26, 2015

The Cape Cod manufacturer warns against using their cloths on brushed finishes, if that's any help.

Frunkinator likes this.
  14. KIMBER Mar 26, 2015

I can see them turning matte into shiney with some elbow grease.

15. billyblue Mar 27, 2015

I'm also in with soap and water. That's the only thing I have done and would do.

16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 27, 2015

You could also use Windex, which is effective in removing thin layer protective coating without hurting the metal.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 27, 2015

Is it a ref. 331.10.42.51.03.001? If so, it is stainless.

When looking at something like this, always start with the least invasive option first, so just a damp cloth. Then add soap if needed, then you could try something like vinegar (just dampen a cloth with it).

I would avoid a cape cod cloth or other cloth with polishing compound embedded in it...using them on brushed finishes can result in very shiny parts...like this case back that was polished using a cape cod cloth...

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

Frunkinator and peatnick like this.
  18. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Mar 27, 2015

Good advice, thanks everyone.
    I figured I wasn't the only one trying to clean a SS bezel...

19. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Mar 27, 2015

Well, after dealing with something that came up for me there will be no cleaning done... I've boxed her right back up.
    I'm forced to have to sell this already. Family responsibilities first and the AD won't take it back. It's in the sales thread of anyone is interested.

20. KIMBER Mar 27, 2015

Sorry to hear that. Hope everything turns out well for you.