Forums Latest Members

How the Speedmaster changed my life....

1. Rockmastermike May 4, 2011

the speedmaster was a leap of faith for me in terms of my relationships with watches and also in terms of how those changes reflect in my everyday life. If you have a minute, I'll relate a watch statement and translate that into a life statement, with a few pictures thrown in for llustration because what is a story without pictures?!?
    [​IMG]
    Crown: Watch - My first manual and I have to wind it every monring - effort, attention and interaction daily = reward of keeping good time and being a solid companion for the day. Life - If I put effort into everything I do usually good things happen, be it work and my marriage. Also use this as a parenting tool: I tell my kids "A man has to take care of his equipment" pick up your bike, take care of your glove, clean your spikes, etc.
    [​IMG]
    Sub Dials: Watch- my first chronograph - do I need a chronograph? No. do I time anything? Not really. I have found over the last few months that it's just cool to have and watch it go around. Life - Mr Conservative here - If I don't need it, why buy it? My revelation is "loosen up" don't be that stiff that kids and wife are embarassed of - stretch outside your comfort zone and enjoy living life. life is short.
    [​IMG]
    Size: Watch - While it's not small per se, it is not a titanic hunk of steel. Life- Not the most social guy and used big watches as a sort of shield, kinda part of my body language. Hard to describe, but the point is, I don't need to hide behind my watch anymore.
    [​IMG]
    Useability: Watch - this is the most I have spent on a watch, hell this is most I have spent on me, outside of cars and such. it must be protected at all times as the investment it is. Life- Never heard about Wabi till I started to learn about watches. just like life in general - don't be such a _________ and get your ass out there. There is a sort of credibility that comes with scars, in life and in watches. McQueen and Aldrin weren't afraid to wear a watch and I be damned if I will, too.
    [​IMG]
    No Date: Watch - the horror of a watch not having a date has been a deal breaker forever. no date, no watch. Life - I am learning not to be so OCD or anal about about things in life. If I can have a watch without a date, then what's next? what other life long held beliefs are also rubbish, I am throwing off the yolks of oppression I tell ya.
    [​IMG]
    NASA Flight Approved: Watch - okay, that just pretty freakin cool to me. Life - My boyhood dreams of being an astronaut or pilot were just that, childhood dreams. Not that the speedmaster makes me want to be an astronaut again, but it does open up old hopes and dreams that I thought I had lost or at least haven't thought about in decades. it's good to re-connect and really, aren't all guys just big boys?!?
    so there it is, a few minutes of stream of consciousness

dsio, The GMT Master and Trev like this.
  2. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF May 4, 2011

What a great piece of writing, thoroughly enjoyed it! :thumbsup: That's the thing I love about watches, they become so much more than a device that tells the time. We all have our own reasons for owning luxury timepieces, it's great to hear your reasons with such openness and candour!

CGH likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 4, 2011

The Speedy always looks immortally cool, be cool to try one of those black leather "Rallye" straps too, give it that vintage "le mans" look. Great post!

4. Rockmastermike May 4, 2011

Thanks guys. and yes, I've been meaning to grab a rallye strap one day, great suggestion