Forums Latest Members
  1. Mark Brooks Jul 27, 2017

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this forum and I have come to post about a vintage omega I recently purchased from eBay (link to eBay listing below) recently. The seller was recommended by a youtuber I watch so I did minimal research into it. Now that I think about it I am not sure how authentic this watch is. It appears that the dial has been refinished but I'm not sure as I am no expert. Anyway, the watch came and I am happy with it and it appears to be keeping time as well and lasts about 35-40 hours (not 100% sure on that number as I haven't timed it). I can definitely feel the bumper movement and it's oddly satisfying. I would just like to know everyone's thoughts on it. I will attach one of my photos of it but the rest are on the eBay page (let me know if there are any issues with that) as I do not feel comfortable removing the case back myself. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

Regards,

Mark

Price: $400 USD (despite the fact it says sold for $499)
    Movement: 351
    Case ref: G6213
    Additional note: Also says at the bottom side of the case between the lugs "14k gold filled" or something along those lines, it is incredibly hard to read.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-c-1950-Omega-Mens-Bumper-Automatic-Watch-c-351-2-Tone-Dial-NEAR-MINT/371993807842?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

IMG_20170725_171626.jpg
    Edited Jul 27, 2017
    STANDY likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 27, 2017

It's a US cased Omega Automatic and looks to be original in most aspects.
    The seconds hand is a replacement and in my opinion, the dial has been re-painted. I base this assumption on the tilt of the Omega automatic words and the offset logo.

Mark Brooks likes this.
  3. Mark Brooks Jul 27, 2017

Thanks, good points. Anyone have any idea how the strange mark at the top of the case could have come about. It doesn't really worry me as in my opinion it's just what happens when a watch has been around for over 60 years. It's also barely visible in most lighting.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 27, 2017

It's just gold tarnish. Being 14K it tarnishes more easily than pure gold. Many of us like the look, it usually maeans that the watch has not been polished recently.

You can remove it with jewellry cleaner and a very soft cloth if you so desire.

5. Mark Brooks Jul 27, 2017

Thanks for that. I think I will probably keep it there as a testament to its age. I'm new to watch collecting as I'm only 17 so thanks for all the information.

mikechi22 likes this.
  6. Mark Brooks Jul 27, 2017

Oh also, how much do you know about the manual winding functionality of this movement. As I'm not sure if you are supposed to wind the crown a certain direction or if you can wind it in either and would it have a clutch sought of thing that engages when it's fully wound or does it just stiffen up?

7. mikechi22 Jul 27, 2017

To be on the safe side, just wind it forward. Be gentle. If it's a manual watch, wind it until you feel a little resistance and then stop.

I'm fascinated to know about this You Tuber! Is he somebody who discusses watches?

You've gotten yourself a nice watch, by the way! I like that non-canonical second hand too - it adds a young person's flair!

Mark Brooks likes this.
  8. Mark Brooks Jul 27, 2017

I think you are right. Better to be safe. His youtube is "The Urban Gentry" (link to the channel below). He does a lot of watch reviews as well as other things horology based. Thanks, I like it a lot. Yeah It is kind of unique in that sense. It is my first omega as up until now I have had seiko's which i love like the sarb033 and the skx009.

https://www.youtube.com/user/theurbangentry

9. Mark Brooks Jul 27, 2017

Oh and I purchased the watch from an eBay store called "Triad Vintage" based out of North Carolina. I live in Australia however so it felt like an eternity waiting for it to arrive.

10. mikechi22 Jul 27, 2017

Wear it in good health, my friend!

11. Mark Brooks Jul 27, 2017

12. mikechi22 Jul 27, 2017

The anticipation makes it that much sweeter! I just bought an Omega Dynamic watch in Holland that I won't see until late November I reckon - so, I feel your pain!

13. Mark Brooks Jul 27, 2017

It certainly does, so happy when I got home and saw the package on the door step! I like the different sought of shape that the Dynamics have. I looked at a few but they were a little out of my price range at the moment. Wow that's a really long time, hopefully you will kind of forget about it so when it comes you'll be like "holy shit I remember buying that" and it will be a little bit of a surprise.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 27, 2017

Welcome to the forum.
    What part of Aus do you live in?
    It just took over 25 days to get a knife from the states ( I'm in Darwin )

Mark Brooks likes this.
  15. Mark Brooks Jul 27, 2017

Thanks for the welcome. I live on the sunshine coast in Queensland. 25 days is a damn long time to wait. Maybe because it was a knife it would take longer or something. What sought of knife, I was wanting to order a flip out knife or whatever they are called essentially like a spring loaded one but where you use your thumb or index finger to quickly deploy the blade. Apparently, they were made legal to import recently. I think it took 15 days for me to get this watch and for a previous one it only took 7. According to the tracking tools I use everything I order seems to spend the majority of its time in sydney after arriving from the states, like 4-5 days in sydney. I just drove to sydney and it only takes about 12 hours.

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 27, 2017

Mail sorting facility is in Sydney so always takes a day or two.
    A Spyderco LE ( not much is banned in the NT. You can ride a bike down to the bush with a crossbow as long as it's not loaded :whistling: )
    image.jpeg

Forum founders are QLDs, few Aussies about, @JimInOz above is a latte sipper from Melbourne

17. Mark Brooks Jul 27, 2017

Yeah fair enough. That is a very nice knife, Spyderco tends to make good quality knives. Haha that's pretty cool, in QLD you can barely get away with carrying a fishing knife ( a little bit of exaggeration but you get the idea). Haha, it's good to see a few Aussies around, Melbourne is way too cold for me. I'm struggling with the 8 degree mornings on the coast as is.

18. gdupree Jul 27, 2017

Good looking watch. wear and enjoy. All-original or not, it's come a long way to get to you.

Edited Mar 27, 2018
    Mark Brooks likes this.
  19. mikechi22 Jul 27, 2017

I hope so too! I'll let you know what it's like when I finally lay hands on it! I didn't know anything about these Omega watches until a month ago! This Forum is like a master's degree in Omega knowledge!

20. Mark Brooks Jul 27, 2017

Yeah I like him, he seems to be quite open minded when it comes to a lot of watches, for example he reviewed an Invicta which was clearly trying to be a submariner but rather than just bagging on it for copying he gave a proper review of it and showed the potential it had to be a nice watch with a bit of original design. Thanks, it sure has come a long way.