Forums Latest Members
  1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 19, 2015

Hey guys,

Condition, yes. Originality though?

Does it make a material difference in the value of a piece if key parts are not original to the watch, yet are period correct?

Imagine a pristine, never serviced watch compared to one that has been around and had a few parts (hands, dial, bezel, crown, whatever) replaced, though replaced with proper/correct period parts (not different service parts).

Assuming condition is similar, does Original one rate higher than original one?

Thanks!

J

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 19, 2015

This is a case to case basis situation and difficult to discuss in general.

3. Nesbit Nesbit's Watch Service, Seattle Feb 19, 2015

We're not collectors and so I cannot comment on values but in regards to original parts, these watches have undoubtedly gone in for service in the past and it is standard Omega protocol for the seals to be changed with each service. This means the pushers, crowns and crystals have all been replaced and are not the "original" parts the watch came with in 1969 etc.

4. justwatching Feb 19, 2015

as long as the replaced parts matches the patina of the original parts then For me it wont affect the value of the watch. But i guess if its "all original" it stl holds a little more premium. But then again if its untouched like u said then its probably due for a service which means chances are some parts might need changing already

5. Davidt Feb 19, 2015

Original would be valued higher but 9 times out of 10, how could you tell the difference?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2015

Wear and tear parts really are irrelevant, crystal, springbars, seals and if new are indistinguishable from old, pushers not only can be replaced but should. Preserving the dial and movement (by maintaining some level of water and dust resistance) and preserving the whole watch (by replacing springbars and worn out bracelet pins and parts) matter more than having the original yellow coloured gasket on a Constellation.

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 19, 2015

Thanks gents.

So picking up a watch with incorrect hands and the fixing them with period correct ones from ebay for example is perfectly acceptable as long as the outcome is good?

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 19, 2015

Absolutely

Nobel Prize and oddboy like this.
  9. TNTwatch Feb 19, 2015

If parts are period correct and consistent in appearance, I don't think there's any way for one to tell if something is not original.

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 19, 2015

Other than disclosing if/at point of (re)sale?

Is that something that should, or needs to, be disclosed?

11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 19, 2015

Perhaps I am being overscrupulous, but "original", when used to mean "as it left the factory" can rarely, if ever, be determined with certainty.

I'm satisfied if the various parts that matter are "correct" for the watch and contemporaneously produced.

oddboy likes this.
  12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 19, 2015

Clear. Thanks!