Forums Latest Members

How often to service: Vintage 40s Lemania chrono

1. Vintage Lemania Mar 30, 2021

Hi all, I have a 1947(approx) 14k YG Lemania chronograph with the 3 register that Ive had since the end of 2015. Ive had a new crystal put on, but nothing else done to it. I do plan to have it serviced/ overhauled by RGM in PA most likely this year. I hardley wear it as it really is a pretty dressy looking piece, especially on a black alligator. I was curious just how often I really should have it serviced? I wear it about once or twice a year for dressy occasions..if that. Here are pics of the watch (not my pics) from the original sales listing where I bought it.

Lemania Vintage 3 Register Chronometer Chronograph 14K YG (oldworldjewelers.com)

2. vibe Mar 30, 2021

You may want to get a timegrapher so that you can check the amplitude. I wouldn't bother servicing if it shows a decent amplitude,. The instrument will also display if there are issues with the watch's regulation. Since it is manual wind; you won't have to worry about the problems automatic watches run into, such as a rotor rubbing on the caseback or movement and wear to the reversers.

3. SkunkPrince Mar 30, 2021

I always ask my watchmaker if something needs service. You don't really know who serviced it before, what oils did they use, is the case sealed against dust and moisture?

It could probably use servicing, you don't know when it was done before you got the watch. But let your watchmaker be your guide.

vibe likes this.
  4. vibe Mar 30, 2021

I should mention that my comments were about subsequent servicing. You have to have a baseline to work with.

5. SkunkPrince Mar 30, 2021

Not to mention if a watch has sat a while, it's not going run fabulously for the first day or two until the oils get redistributed or whatever happens. In any event, that's my experience, even if i might not be explaining it properly.

6. Vintage Lemania Mar 30, 2021

Thanks for the replies guys. The watch is a tad magnetized, so running a bit fast. The past few months I would wind it once a month, until I noticed it was starting to make a pretty pronounced "ting ting ting" sound. I've let it sit non running for about a month and a half at this point, not wanting to start it up and cause possibly more wear. Several years ago I gave it a wind until it stopped winding and it took a few seconds before it started once I finished the wind. So definitely seems like it needs some work to get it tip top.