Forums Latest Members

how often should i (can i ) wind the moon pro?

1. Sirjojo May 3, 2019

while waiting on my -69, i got a little impatient and got a 3570.50.

i am used to automatic and movement watches, so not very familiar with manual winding watches.

how often should i wind it?

is it ok to wind it whenever i remember it?

anything i need to watch out for when winding (except do wind too hard)

any different between 3570.50 and 145.022-69 when it comes to winding?

sorry for all the NOOB questions.

2. Evitzee May 3, 2019

Wind it in the morning before you put it on, repeat the next day. No need to wind it during the day.

3. connieseamaster May 3, 2019

Just don't wind it past the point where the crown gives a hard stop. I fiddle with my manual watches during the day so they usually end up coming off my wrist 80% wound at the end of the day

4. Sirjojo May 3, 2019

and treat the old one and new one no different?

5. jaguar11 May 3, 2019

Have you read the instructions?

dougiedude and watch3s like this.
  6. mblease May 3, 2019

Haha. I did almost exactly the same thing. I bought a beautiful 69 Speedy from a fellow forum member and sent it off to Simon Freese for a service immediately. That waiting time is an absolute danger zone! I just couldn’t resist and ended up convincing myself that I needed a secondary ‘stunt’ speedy to keep my vintage piece looking pretty. So I picked up a 2019 speedy pro from my local AD. Typically the 69 arrived back from Simon a few days after I bought the new one. Glad to know I’m not the only one!

I wind whichever Speedy I’m wearing first thing in the morning. Becomes a nice little ritual.

Edited May 3, 2019
    ttsp52 and jankymutt like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 3, 2019

You can do no real harm winding whenever you want. For consistency it’s best to wind at the same time everyday. Most agree the morning is best. No need to rewind it later in the day. If you pick it up to wear at night after it has run down, wind it fully and have fun. If you wear it the next day just wind it when you put it on.

This applies to all hand wound watches.

Edited May 3, 2019
  8. jsducote May 3, 2019

I believe the official spec is 48 hours, but many people report 50+ on a full wind. Thus, you could go every other day, but that's harder to remember than every morning as you're strapping in.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 3, 2019

It’s meant to be wound daily...

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  10. 77deluxe May 3, 2019

Daily, and hopefully all day long

11. jsducote May 3, 2019

Please don't understand, because I do not remotely mean to question your considerable knowledge, but when you say "meant to" does that mean daily winding is Omega's documented best practice or something that we're supposed to learn from others? Not having memorized the manual myself, I'll take your word if you say it's in there, but it also wouldn't totally surprise me if it isn't.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 3, 2019

Yes, it’s meant to be wound daily...

13. jsducote May 3, 2019

Apologies for being pedantic but "all that's needed" is not the same thing as "meant to be." If the narrator had stated that we not let the watch run for more than 24 hours (or some other number) between winding, then I would understand that as what you should do. And, I'm not suggesting that you're wrong, I just wonder how this knowledge is supposed to be gained if it isn't documented or one doesn't spend his friday nights on OF. :)

blufinz52 likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 3, 2019

It is designed to be wound daily, no matter how you want to parse words.

15. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 3, 2019

...at Dunkin’ Donuts! :thumbsup:

16. rudagger May 5, 2019

I always wondered about the warning in the instructions. Why is it bad to wind the watch more often?

" Note: do not wind the watch more often than is necessary. For
    a watch that is worn all the time, a single winding each day will
    ensure that it functions correctly."

17. 77deluxe May 5, 2019

I’m winding mine now.

18. Evitzee May 5, 2019

Leave it to OF to turn a simple procedure that has been followed for hundreds of years into a self doubting science project.

19. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 5, 2019

I change the battery when it stops... my Citizen Eco drive is proving to be pretty confusing as a result

@Mad Dog ... thank you! I was wondering what that little knob on the top of my Vanguard is for and it keeps much better time now that I'm using it. Is the use of helium mandatory or has that to do with a recent coffee overdose?

20. jsducote May 6, 2019

To be fair, the Swiss aren't really known for being vague or imprecise. If there's a right way and a wrong way, they're generally pretty good at telling you in several pages of uncertain language with diagrams.

124watchfan likes this.