Forums Latest Members

How often do you see ANY nice watch in the wild?

1. Speedmasterfan88 Sep 18, 2017

In the office one partner wears a speedmaster daily. I believe it's a 3570. Another partner is dailying a GMT Pepsi (modern), and the senior partner is usually sporting some kind of Rolex or the occasional Lange. So far no Apple Watch! Out in the wild I've seen mostly the usual suspects from Rolex and omega, and living in Frankfurt I see quite a lot of them.
    Sadly nothing vintage of real interest thou. I had a nice conversation with an older gentleman about his speedmaster 125 once, but that's about it.

BrianMcKay, Jones in LA and CTS-V like this.
  2. dialstatic Sep 18, 2017

Perhaps you are in a more relevant field of research than I am ;)

3. TJH Sep 18, 2017

Out and about in London on Saturday I saw a DSOTM Black/Black, Rose Gold Daytona, Navitimer and handfuls of Date Justs and Submariners; but I was in Kensington and Chelsea...

BrianMcKay likes this.
  4. dialstatic Sep 18, 2017

All this makes me not wanna buy the datejust I had my eye on...

Justme likes this.
  5. speedamatuer Sep 18, 2017

I often spot a Rolex on the underground (London), but the highlight for me so far was a couple of months ago when a guy stood nearby was wearing an Apollo 11 35th Anniversary. Apparently my girlfriend wasn't so impressed... Gratuitous pic from the internet below.

11357402_482137368629886_1719569610_n.jpg
    gostang9 and Ssunnylee24 like this.
  6. mikechi22 Sep 18, 2017

I'm working out of China nowadays so I do see a number of nice Omegas on people: PO's, Globemasters, AT's mostly. I haven't trained my eye to recognize the other big brands. The only trouble is that on my first visit here in 2008, I went home with a beautiful "Patek Phillipe" that cost me $12.00, if memory serves. Now I'm suspicious of everything I see. I feel rotten about that...

BrianMcKay and EatMan like this.
  7. sjg22 Sep 18, 2017

Downtown Toronto has a ton of Rolex, although I rarely see anything overly interesting otherwise.

That said, the guy that sold me a suit yesterday was wearing a newer Patek Calatrava!

I think the bigger the city and the more it's a financial hub, the more luxurious the watches.

8. mikesspeedy Sep 18, 2017

In the wild in the last 2 weeks ive seen a Hublot big bang rose 43k watch on a older guy just walking down the street (sandbanks). A mid thirties guy with a new black moon phase and an omega De Ville ladymatic the wife`s. I wont go into the whole story on here its amazing how those little diamonds twinkle in the sunlight.

9. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 18, 2017

Only occasionally do I see nice watches in the wild...but I will say that @ChuckMK23 and myself are often seen in the wild with nice watches...and if you don't see us, we'll make sure that you do...by being wild. :thumbsup:

IMG_5871.JPG

byunjoe, DaveK, Dimitris and 30 others like this.
  10. Canuck Sep 18, 2017

One wealthy accountant (lady) in our camping group owns 11 relatively expensive violins, recently paid $2,800.00 for a violin bow, is having a five string violin built for her, and owns a Greek bouzouki. She drives expensive cars, an expensive motor home with a new $5,000.00 windshield, and is proud of her Fossil watches which she regularly demolishes. Muddled priorities. Another one of the group has become quite well off by flipping real estate. He wears crap watches he buys on line (Invicta types), and tells me how much he saves every time he buys one. I meet the odd one who wears an expensive watch, when they bring them to me for servicing. When I see someone driving an expensive car, I try to take note of the watch they are wearing. Lots of Timex.

BrianMcKay, Justme and M'Bob like this.
  11. Lugduno Sep 18, 2017

Haha I can guarantee you that I'm not. Guess I just got lucky with fellow students/researchers.

dialstatic likes this.
  12. snapreme Sep 18, 2017

On the way to work in midtown Manhattan, I've seen a milgauss, IWC portugieser, petit prince, other pilots watches, vintage datejusts, seamasters, and plenty of subs. There's another young fellow in my office that wears a breitling. However, a lot of people my age wear fashion watches or apple watches and fitbits. Lately, I've just been eyeing everyone's wrist on my commute. I hope it hasn't come off creepy :whistling:

13. speedamatuer Sep 18, 2017

My boss has a couple of watches, couldn't believe it when he turned up wearing this. Everyone else in the office seems to have an Apple Watch though...

image.jpeg
  14. jumpingsecond Sep 18, 2017

Sometimes I do get caught trying to get a closer look. Makes for an awkward- "oh hi- nice watch!"

dr1v3thru, Marku, José9 and 2 others like this.
  15. dialstatic Sep 18, 2017

You know, this is as good a place to say it as any: when you post a picture, it always makes my day a little better. Bless you, @Mad Dog.

heavenscloud, Kmart, kkt and 5 others like this.
  16. abrod520 Sep 18, 2017

That's a 7763, but definitely an awesome spot in the wild!

Baz9614 likes this.
  17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 18, 2017

In Detroit the brand you see the most is Shinola (not a surprise). That being said there are quite a few Planet Oceans and Rolexes and a few higher end Patek, UG, Vaucheron etc

mikechi22 likes this.
  18. ConElPueblo Sep 18, 2017

I once sat next to an elderly gentleman and his wife, both of whom were wearing Patek Phillipes Aquanauts. His the rose gold version with brown rubber strap (!), hers a diamond studded variety with a white leather band. She was clearly happy to have someone notice and complement her on the perfect matching she had done with her diamond jewelry! Got talking to them and it turned out that he had a pretty impressive collection af very different watches, all bought new. His wife made a bit fun of his habit of bringing several watches with him when travelling, but he got some back-up when I told them that I was bringing 6 watches with me for a weekend trip :D

It turned out that their son-in-law is a former colleague of mine, who I got talking with some time ago, since he was wearing an IWC Aquatimer.

19. AustinStm Sep 18, 2017

There's an indoor carousal/arcade place for the kiddies to run around and scream (including my daughter). The kid (early 20's) who works the front desk taking money and handing out tickets was wearing a Rolex Sub. It seemed odd and even a bit wrong. Also, I met a lawyer at a party who was flashing his Rolex 'cause he was powerful and special. When I complemented him on it, he replied, "Thanks, but when someone asks me the time, I always look at my phone." I ignored him for the rest of the night.

20. xeasygoingx Sep 18, 2017

Thanks for creating this thread (for opening my eyes) ... will have the chance to fly to China in business class this week. Where else if not in this "area" ;)?

mikechi22 likes this.