Forums Latest Members

How often do you guys service your Rolexs?

1. Sidrox25 Jul 11, 2017

Just as title says how long have you guys gone between servicing your Rolexes? I know some say just wait until it starts running off. But I don't know if that is recommended for the movement?

2. Canuck Jul 11, 2017

If you are asking about Rolex chronometers, once they have been thoroughly serviced and regulated to a close tolerance, they should be serviced again when the rate deteriorates to the point you feel that regulating might be necessary. So when you have it serviced depends on your pain threshold. My Date-Just I have had to 27 years, and it has been serviced (by me) four times. It is a very accurate watch, and when it commenced running more than about 5 seconds per day, I service it again, rather than regulate it. The old ones, I service when the spirit moves me, but they are seldom worn. I don't think there are any "rules", only guidelines.

3. Traveler Jul 11, 2017

This guy is a bit temperamental - two services in four years :

IMG_8118.JPG
    This one, once in three years after it started running slow :

IMG_8193.JPG
    This one I bought serviced with a year's warranty
    IMG_8132.JPG
    And these are 'not serviced in my possession', run like a dream, and seem as solid as tanks... no set plans to service any time soon ...

IMG_6891.JPG
    IMG_8127.JPG
    IMG_8143.JPG
    IMG_8246.JPG
    IMG_8549.JPG
    View attachment 414195

IMG_8553.JPG
    frederico, Omega1, balaja and 17 others like this.
  4. sgoody1 Jul 12, 2017

Any thoughts about where to get the service done (in the UK) - does it need to be through Rolex?

5. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 12, 2017

@Traveler...that Explorer II is gorgeous.

Traveler and propervinyl like this.
  6. davidswiss Jul 12, 2017

I asked our local watchmaker (jeff allnutt) in Midhurst and he's done a few before and is confident that he and his watchmakers are good to go.
    There's nothing amazingly different about the movements as far as I know, it's just a question of whether the watchmaker has the parts and expertise.
    Ask whoever you trust locally.

7. sgrossma Jul 12, 2017

I only get watches serviced if the watch breaks or if the time keeping is really bad - like really, really bad. I'm always rotating watches and re-setting the time anyway. I don't think it makes sense to follow the manufacturer's recommended schedule, or else you will be shelling out loads of money all the time (for no good reason). If a watch continues working and keeps respectable time for 20+ years, don't bother servicing it IMO.

watch3s likes this.
  8. arcadelt Jul 12, 2017

Never since new in 2012. Am starting to think about a pressure test though, because I do dip it in water occasionally.

IMG_1027.JPG

9. davidswiss Jul 13, 2017

Getting a diving watch pressure tested every few years is a no brainer and in my experience costs nothing.

watch3s likes this.
  10. arcadelt Jul 13, 2017

You don't live in Australia, do you. Nothing is free when it comes to watches.

Matty01 and davidswiss like this.
  11. davidswiss Jul 13, 2017

No, but a Rolex AD did it for free in Switzerland and a good watchmaker did the same in England. I am on good terms with both but it can't be that unusual. I hope.

12. Canuck Jul 13, 2017

I don't know of anyone where I live that can DO a water resist test, let alone to do one for free. That, plus if it doesn't pass the test, expect there to be a charge for attending to leaks!

13. arcadelt Jul 13, 2017

Years ago I was traveling with my father through Germany. In Köln the crown on my vintage Rolex Date popped out, so we ducked into a boutique or AD and they fixed it for free, complete with a pressure test. I told the salesman I would never buy a watch from them so I should pay, but he shrugged that off and said "well someday you might buy another Rolex watch". I thanked him and we continued on out way. Many years before the same issue had occurred while visiting Sydney, so I went to a Rolex repairer. He grumpily took the watch from me, told me it had the wrong crown, changed it and charged me $50 - no pressure test. Service in the Australian luxury watch industry can be very snobby and rarely generous; at least not to me.

davidswiss likes this.
  14. davidswiss Jul 14, 2017

That's worrying if you've a watch that regularly get wet. Doesn't Archer of this parish live in Canada ?

15. jimmyd13 Jul 14, 2017

STS - they're really well priced for the service they give. My 5513 was fully serviced for just over £300. Even my independent watch makers would charge £250 for that one and the simple fact is that STS have ready access to anything and everything a vintage watch needs. (Actually, I'm making the assumption that you're asking about vintage - they're just as good with the new stuff).

16. watch3s Jul 14, 2017

i bought used and have not serviced, i will consider service when they are out of whack/not keeping time properly

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 15, 2017

Canuck is about 3200 kms from me...he could pop over any time and I can pressure test his watch for him...I'll even do it at no charge if he shows up in person.

Canada is a big place mate...

18. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 15, 2017

:thumbsup:...::facepalm1::

19. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 15, 2017

I heartily agree, STS did the 1970s gold OP Date in the pic below at around the cost mentioned above. It was rather poorly when sent in, now mint and healthy:

IMG_6688.jpg

Omega1 likes this.
  20. Canuck Jul 15, 2017

I water test watches as well. My setup isn't as elaborate as some are, but my Bergeon tester is capable of testing to the depth of 200 feet. If I ran into (for example) a Sea Dweller which was used by a professional diver, my Bergeon wouldn't be good enough. I recently played dumb in a "watch repair" shop nearby who had a Bergeon tester on his counter. There was no water in it. These need to be half filled with distilled water for the test. I asked him how it worked. He told me you just hang a watch in the chamber and pump up the pressure. If the watch doesn't explode when you release the pressure five minutes later, it's water proof! That's what he told me.

watch3s likes this.