Forums Latest Members
  1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 8, 2015

Local News today.

One unfortunate seller in Melbourne advertises his mint condition Rolex Cosmograph Daytona for sale.

Being cautious, he agrees to meet a potential buyer in a public place, in this case, Doncaster Shopping Centre.

Public place. What could possibly go wrong?

Seller meets "Johnny" there who loves the looks of the watch and asks if he can try it on the wrist.

As soon as Johnny has the Rollie on the arm he does a bolter much to the distress of the seller, but not to be put off, he pursues Johnny!

Right up to the moment Johnny stops and pulls a weapon from his pants :eek::eek::eek::eek:,
    whereupon the seller immediately lost interest in making a citizen's arrest.

I feel sorry for the seller, but also think he's a contender for a Darwin Award :rolleyes:

Surely a bank would be a better option for a transaction like that.

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 8, 2015

I've often wondered how a transaction like that would look in public, especially at a place like a bank. Two men meet, a package is exchanged for a pile of cash.

Suspicious? Hmmm... I know it's not illegal to buy and sell used watches, but even meeting at a bank would make me a bit nervous.

3. ulackfocus Jan 8, 2015

Now imagine doing that in the parking lot of a mall - think it would raise eyebrows? :p

sumerian, George.A and oddboy like this.
  4. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jan 8, 2015

Did a pretty big deal at my bank. Met the buyer in the lobby. Went to my safe-deposit box alone got my watch and returned to the lobby. He inspected the watch and gave me the cash. I returned to my box and left the cash in the bank. Left for home safe and sound: No cash, no watch only a smile ;-)

George.A, Northernman and NT931 like this.
  5. Paedipod Jan 8, 2015

have done a couple of transactions at the bank here in Canada, met in the lobby for inspection, transfer via buyer's and seller's debit card directly into the appropriate account. The security guard at the door was actually quite interested in the watches.....a Panerai and a Ti Seamaster.

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 8, 2015

A good tip. Thanks gents!

7. Mathlar Jan 8, 2015

You've all seen Breaking Bad, right? Don't try to sell your watches in a scrap yard.

Darlinboy likes this.
  8. Ray916MN Jan 8, 2015

A local store provides free and for fee authentication services, stolen watch serial number checks for the manufacturers which share this info with their dealers, and allows private sales to be transacted in their store. I do all my face to face purchases there. Very secure for both buyer and seller as they are one of the highest end jewelry stores in the city. Also enables any authenticity questions to be professionally answered in front of the buyer and seller.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 8, 2015

Think twice when this guy shows up to buy your watch.
    CL-216869-6217XL[0].jpg

jordn, bilemshious and rhetoric like this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 8, 2015

I did the exchange on a watch I was selling at a Tim Horton's once (largest fast food/coffee/doughnut chain in Canada), and both myself and the buyer remarked it felt like we were doing a drug deal. I think for WIS, in many ways the JLC I sold was like crack. And no, the buyer was not Rob Ford! ;)

It certainly did feel odd exchanging a heavy box for an envelope full of cash...

11. repoman Jan 8, 2015

I've done an exchange at a Starbucks, I was buyer, seller was known quantity, and I assume he was packing heat :D

When or if the shoe is on the other foot and I am the seller, I don't think I'd be comfortable at Starbucks, and I have no comment if I will be packing heat. My worst fear is not being robbed at gunpoint, its the scenario described by the OP... I can't outrun anyone.

Edited Jan 8, 2015
  12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 8, 2015

Too bad, you might have got a free doughnut :D

13. ulackfocus Jan 8, 2015

Let's see......

Sold an IWC at a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike. (if THAT doesn't get the cops to look suspiciously at you, nothing will)

Sold a Maurice Lacroix in the parking lot of an higher end outlet mall off Rt 195 (just off the Turnpike) in a van.

Bought a VC in a parking structure after meeting at a Starbucks in Bala Cynwyd.

Bought, sold, and paid a watchmaker at various diners in PA and NJ.

14. Hijak Jan 8, 2015

You New Jersey guys!:cautious:

15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 8, 2015

So when you pull off at the turnpike, how do you know whether the watch is hot or not? Verify movement number before you even arrange the meet? ...or just don't ask? ;)

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 8, 2015

As with most watch sales you don't really know for sure. Who are you going to call?

17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 8, 2015

Applies to pretty much anything for sale on a secondary market really... fair point.

18. ulackfocus Jan 8, 2015

In Joizey, you don't ask. After all, it might not be stolen - it might have simply fallen off the back of a truck. :cautious: ( :p )

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 8, 2015

I think the guy who sold me 4 brand new unmarked 18" Vision alloys for my GTI for $300 (RRP about $2000) must have come from Joizey.

He met me in the shopping centre parking lot with the rims in the back of his truck.

I couldn't get them into my car fast enough, exchanged cash with a sly handshake and laid rubber all the way out (well almost laid rubber, damn you traction control!).

oddboy, TNTwatch and boat2dan like this.
  20. NT931 Jan 8, 2015

Transacted & bought my Royal Oak in a bank, but for my GMT II, I met the seller in a Subway (the sandwich chain) in a mall.

It was perfectly cordial. We met, I saw the Rolex. He even let me try his Nautilus 5712 when I ooh-ed and aah-ed over it. We exchanged money, and the watch was mine. I suppose I could have run off with his very expensive brand new 5712, but I doubt I would've gotten far on foot as malls in Singapore are extremely crowded on weekends!