Forums Latest Members
  1. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Mar 8, 2018

My friend found this watch in 2004 when cleaning up her dad's shed:

omega2.jpg

At that time, I'd been wearing the same Omega Seamaster Quartz for nearly 20 years. i knew absolutely nothing about vintage watches, but I felt that simply discarding this watch would be wrong.
    I asked my local watchmaker. He would redial it, check the movement and fit an original Omega strap for 300 €, which I accepted. Maybe I can't sell it for that amount, but the joy it gives my friend every time she sees her dad's watch on my wrist makes it worth all the money.

It ended up like this: omega istandsat.jpg
    To me, redials may be awful, but the may also, like in this case, give new life to an otherwise useless watch. You will notice that the dial brushing is 3 degrees off the 12-6 axis. At first, I was somewhat dissappointed about this, but I couldn't bring myself to complain, and I don't notice it in daily use.

The serial no. reveals its 1947 birth year:

omega 2004 movement.jpg L1040795.JPG

Since the restoration in 2004, it has been running flawlessly. The watchmaker fitted a 14 mm buckle, but it seems that 18-14mm tapered straps are hard to find, so with the need for a new strap I bought a 16 mm buckle in the "old" style to match the watch.

upload_2018-3-8_18-46-32.png

Thanks to Omegaforums, I have now begun to learn more about the wonderful world of vintage watches. I am not going back to buying new - this is too much fun. Thanks to everyone from the newbie.

2. airansun In the shuffling madness Mar 8, 2018

Particularly given the original condition, I like the redial.

ulackfocus and felsby like this.
  3. alam Mar 8, 2018

Looks good to me :thumbsup: Given its condition when found, I would have also gone on the redial route. Nice little watch you now have there to enjoy!

Butchhuff and felsby like this.
  4. Waltesefalcon Mar 9, 2018

I think it came out really well and while redials are usually frowned upon, this one has helped give the watch a second life. I have a "restored" Connie, i.e. redial with a heavily polished case, and while it isn't a collector piece I can wear it in my regular rotation without worry about damaging it.

5. ulackfocus Mar 9, 2018

I’ll agree with the posts so far - good choice on the redial. :thumbsup:

Not sure that buckle is authentic though. :unsure:

felsby likes this.
  6. emilio Mar 9, 2018

That's a damn great redial :thumbsup:

7. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Mar 9, 2018

Thanks, ulackfocus. No, the buckle cost me less than ten bucks, and I am no buckleologist. But I guess it looks sort of like a 1947 steel buckle?

IMG_4881.jpg

8. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Mar 20, 2018

9. michael22 Mar 20, 2018

Nice redial.

felsby likes this.
  10. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Mar 20, 2018

Thnx :)