Forums Latest Members

How much would it cost to restore Omega Seamaster Deville??

1. jimil6911 Oct 15, 2018

Hi all,

This might be an ignorant question however I won't know unless I ask....

Found this watch that is not running with a broken crown, what are the price ranges I'm looking at to get this up and running? Case and crystal also in rough condition.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

OMEGA SEAMASTER DEVILLE MOVEMENT 2.jpg OMEGA SEAMASTER DEVILLE MOVEMENT.jpg OMEGA Seamaster deville 3.PNG
    Dan S likes this.
  2. cristos71 Oct 15, 2018

Well the movement looks to have barely been touched in all those years, the screw heads are in great shape. The case looks in good shape too, so depending on the rest I'd think it could be a watch to invest the €150 or so a 565 would probably cost to service. Parts would be extra, although I'd wager this one doesn't need much more than a clean and lubrication. A correct crown and crystal around €100.

How's the rest of it?

WhatYourWatchSay and jimil6911 like this.
  3. Shabbaz Oct 15, 2018

I think it will probably costs around EUR 300 if I bring it to my watchmaker. 175 with tax for a cal 565. EUR 75 for a original omega plexi and 50ish for a crown. If you bring it to a omega service centre you can double or triple that...

jimil6911 likes this.
  4. michael e Still learning. Oct 15, 2018

I might have the plexi and crown in stock if you give me the case number, It looks like you might need the female part of the split stem too.
    Thanks, Michael

Edited Oct 15, 2018
  5. Davidt Oct 15, 2018

There's a key picture missing here as whether it's worth it or not depends on the condition of the dial.

If the dial is poor it may only be worth doing it if it has sentimental value.

If the dial is good it's certainly worth doing.

jimil6911 and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  6. jimil6911 Oct 15, 2018

Thanks guys! The dial is in good condition and it is sentimental value so I think I'll give it a shot.

7. Dan S Oct 15, 2018

Come on @jimil6911, post more photos! What a tease ... :)

jimil6911 and Davidt like this.
  8. jimil6911 Oct 15, 2018

The original Omega plexi is all scratched up so will need to replace that too. Just hoping nothing major is wrong with the movement and wanted to gauge what the damage/cost would be at the max. Still looking for a good, trustworthy watch maker in NYC or Toronto.

OMEGA Seamaster Deville Dial.jpg
    Dan S likes this.
  9. Dan S Oct 15, 2018

I have a feeling this will clean up very nicely. Try to resist over-polishing the case, you want retain the original lines of the case as much as possible. And if you tell the repair shop to polish the case to get rid of the scratches, they will most likely just use a buffing wheel, and smooth out the shape of the case in the process. It's better to live with some scratches.

10. jimil6911 Oct 15, 2018

Thanks for the advice here! Absolutely in agreement here, cannot have a vintage watch not looking vintage. Is there a possibility here that it cannot be fixed at all? Apologies for the noobie questions.

11. dan7800 Oct 15, 2018

Just for my own education, how can you tell?

12. Dan S Oct 15, 2018

Very unlikely IMHO; I would happily take a chance on this watch assuming the case is decent (still no case photo). The movement looks very clean and untampered-with at first glance. If there was some damage associated with the loss of the crown/stem, some repairs may be needed (possibly with some replacement parts), but I am confident that a watchmaker with vintage Omega experience will put this watch right for you.

Not a single scratch on the movement that I can see. The screwheads seem pristine. No discoloration due to moisture intrusion. Just a really clean looking movement given the superficial view. No apparent water damage to the dial. Parts appear original. It has all the signs of a watch that was worn until it stopped working, and then put in a drawer.

13. jimil6911 Nov 7, 2018

Hi all,

Just wanted to update everyone here. Finally put in the work and here is the result. Apparently, it was difficult getting an original crystal since there is a metal ring that flushes against the dial. So a little buffing actually took off most of the scratches. Cleaning was needed and a few replacement parts. Let me know what you all think! I'm very happy with the result. Everyone here was a big part of me getting my first vintage so thank you very much!

image1.jpeg
    michael e, exs75, cristos71 and 3 others like this.
  14. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 7, 2018

Well done, if you continue to get it serviced every few years it will keep going for decades to come. And thanks for coming back to show us the finished result, it looks great !

jimil6911 likes this.