Forums Latest Members

How much time do you spend watch hunting?

1. TexasKevin Apr 21, 2015

It has occured to me I might be obsessed a little. I spend about 6 hours a week looking at watches online. I've got groups of keyword searches on CL, eBay, and a local auction site to alert me of watches meeting my criteria. Once those searches run, I'm left with thousands of pictures to scour through. Which is kind of the fun part, finding the few gems, seeing the fakes, and redials, but it is definitely a time suck.

I'm curious how obsessed I am compared to the rest of the group. How time consuming is your watch hobby?

2. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 21, 2015

don't worry
    not even close to most here

Matty01, E-diddy, RLC and 2 others like this.
  3. calalum Apr 21, 2015

Why so little? Not interested?

E-diddy, bazamu, erpin9 and 4 others like this.
  4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 21, 2015

How much time? All of it.

5. ulackfocus Apr 21, 2015

6 hours a week used to be what I'd spend scouring the internet....... when I was broke. :p Sometimes I'd be on eBay 3 or 4 hours a day, especially if members were asking me to check out listings.

erpin9 likes this.
  6. cristos71 Apr 21, 2015

I wouldn't even class 6 hours a week as part-time.
    Work 8-10 hours a day
    Sleep 6-8 hours a night
    Family commitments 2-3 hours a day
    That's 16-21 hours a day accounted for, which leaves a healthy 3-8 hours a day for the important s#!t. Weekends obviously more. :D

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 21, 2015

::confused2::, I don't understand, what else is there to do??

TexasKevin likes this.
  8. TexasKevin Apr 21, 2015

The wife has weird expectations, she wants us to spend time with friends and family often. Sometimes I can mention shoes, and she suddenly wants to online shop and I can look at watches while she is doing that.

x3no and Spacefruit like this.
  9. ulackfocus Apr 21, 2015

Tactical distraction - a very veteran move! :thumbsup:

10. lwong Apr 21, 2015

In the past few months I think I averaged 6 hours watch-hunting on Saturdays alone.

pitpro likes this.
  11. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 21, 2015

I spend WAY too much time looking things up online. Problem is technology has put a computer at my fingertips and a mobile encyclopedia in my pocket, it's not my fault... I swear! I've noticed more so though, I'll get waves going in and out of researching watches. Usually happens more when I'm ready to buy something. Then I scratch the itch and it passes for a little while. It always comes back, question is when.
    I made it almost 9-10months without any heavy watch searching on the last go around.

Matty01 and TexasKevin like this.
  12. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 21, 2015

You wouldn't even imagine the hours spent here lol

13. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 21, 2015

A couple of hours per day.

14. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 21, 2015

One hour a day - average.

15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 21, 2015

You guys all need some help....

Seriously, I thought I was out of control, guesstimate that I spend about 8-10 hours on this message board and 8-10 hours looking for watches each week.

Wow I can't believe I actually wrote that, or that I am actually spending that much time. I really really need to get some help or at least find some other interests. Fortunately it is starting to warm up a bit and I can get back on my SUP.

On the watch front, I keep saying one more and then I am done. Of course we all know that is a lie...

erpin9 likes this.
  16. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Apr 21, 2015

way too much

17. KIMBER Apr 21, 2015

I spend more time learning than shopping lately. That can change at any moment thou.

18. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 21, 2015

I spend most of my "couple of hours a day" looking for the specific watches on my hit list. That is why they are still on the list and I'm not sitting with a sub-standard example of one I want.

Well that is mostly true, except for where I have banked an example of a particularly scarce model and wait for a better one, but all bar three on the list are in the > £5,000 bracket, so expensive mistakes lie ahead unless I carry out my DD properly.

19. repoman Apr 21, 2015

I don't go looking for watches, they seem to come and find me.

TexasKevin and dougiedude like this.
  20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 21, 2015

The bulk of our traffic is not from home internet connections but rather from business / government / university connections so on the plus side we're not taking time out of most people's leisure time, but rather adding to it at the cost of productivity. But then if you can afford to buy nice watches you're probably sufficiently productive as it is so no great loss.

I can't put a figure on how many hours per month people spend here but in the last month we've had just under 1.4 million pageviews and moved 2.1 TB (2,100 GB) of data (99% of that is images as we host all of our own and don't impose any real size limits). That's 3000 CDs or 450 DVDs worth of watch pictures in a month.

One day we'll find a member with actuarial experience to calculate how many dollars worth of lost productivity we actually cause the economy each year. Probably still dramatically less than cigarette breaks :coffee: