Forums Latest Members
  1. JimSoft Dec 9, 2014

Hi,

I have taken a shine to the S/S Admiral auto hf. What sort of money would we be talking for a decent example?

Thanks,

Graham.

2. ulackfocus Dec 9, 2014

That's like calling a car dealer and saying "How much is a Ford?". There were dozens of different Admiral models.

boat2dan likes this.
  3. JimSoft Dec 9, 2014

Thank you, looks like my education in Longines watches begins here.

4. JimSoft Dec 9, 2014

OK Dennis, for entertainment lets start with your comments about this one, no doubt overpriced.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOP-CONDI...523039848?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item418c14ae68Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Just noticed myself that while the dial looks in good condition the hour markers look corroded. Oh and the crown doesn't seem right either....oh my.

Graham.

5. aga79 Dec 9, 2014

nice watch and nice price too I think..

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 9, 2014

Nice watch. I'd like it better at 2/3 the asking price.
    gatorcpa

7. ulackfocus Dec 9, 2014

You are correct about the crown being a non-Longines replacement, and the hour markers being in better shape than the hands make me suspicious too - usually the hands show more corrosion than the markers. However, if it were price less than $650 I'd say it would be a nice pick-up as a daily driver.

The dial appears to be original. Personally, I'd pass because by the 60's the dial coatings and paints were far more durable and there are enough near mint original watches to go around among us collectors. If that watch were in near NOS condition and came with it's box and papers it would be a bargain at the asking price (which we all know would then be MUCH higher, but since this is for educational purposes it's a worthwhile comment).

Oh, and if you're keeping score, I have more Admirals in my collection than any other series. It's very typical to find your best bargains with an Admiral. Flagships and Conquests often had the same cases and calibers but command a 30% or better premium because of the series name on the dial (all other factors being equal).

8. JimSoft Dec 11, 2014

While perusing ebay I got curious about this one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LONGINES-...853307710?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item58aca0493ePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I thought I'd ask, did they make an hf movement in manual wind? Should it have some sort of logo on the case back? Looked in good condition to me other than those observations.

And this one looks great to my untrained eye, would you like to comment and recommend a guide price?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-9...es_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item566dd3d136Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Graham.

Edited Dec 11, 2014
  9. ulackfocus Dec 11, 2014

Yes, Longines did - but it certainly wasn't a caliber 280! :eek: Pass on that watch as it's a franken, and we'll all forget you mentioned it. ::facepalm2:: ( :p )

That's a nice & honest specimen in good condition. Most of the frosting on the caseback around the ship is still present - which you don't see often. The 343 was the first with the larger date window, and this movement serial number dates it to about 1967.. It's not mint, but I'd expect it to sell for at least $1200. I'd say a bid of $1500 would snipe it, but who knows how bad others want it - and I don't think it's worth that much to risk it. Most of us would rather 'go Ashley' on a mint example.

noelekal likes this.
  10. JimSoft Dec 12, 2014

On review of that second one it looks like some spots on the dial that have been poorly cleaned as you can see large lighter circles around the spots. Possibly looks like some sort of corrosion from underneath the dial paint. What are your thoughts? Looks like it will turn sour in a couple of years to me, the hands show some signs of corrosion too.

Graham.