Forums Latest Members

How much should I expect to pay?

1. jetkins Oct 24, 2018

OK, I'm a clumsy oaf. While strapping on my Tintin the other day, I somehow managed to let go of both ends of the NATO strap at once, and winced as the watch fell about three feet onto the tiled bathroom floor. It landed face down, but at first I thought I had dodged a bullet because there appeared to be no damage and it was operating normally. However, when I went to wear it again a few days later I discovered that a crack has developed in the hesalite crystal.

So it needs a new crystal, but I have no idea what I should expect to pay for that service, and whether it's something I should entrust to my local AD's own watchmaker or have performed by the Omega repair center. The watch was bought NOS on the grey market, so I'm not concerned about invalidating the warranty by getting the work done locally.

Should I also ask for it to be given a quick once-over for any other possible damage at the same time - and if so, what would be the going rate for something like that - or is that something that any self-respecting repairer would do anyway?

Thanks!

VintageWatchIta likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 24, 2018

An official Omega service centre will probably not just change the crystal.
    You'll need an independent watchmaker with an Ω parts account to source a crystal and check the innards.

Cost will be a new crystal ($70) and labour unless you have a good relationship with the watchmaker.

Where in the whirl are you?

kkt, jetkins and ConElPueblo like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Oct 24, 2018

There's no harm in asking, but like @JimInOz I believe that the Omega service center will require it to have a full service. As also suggested, if the service center doesn't want to offer the check-up, find a watchmaker with a parts account who's willing to do so.

kkt, jetkins and albertob like this.
  4. albertob Oct 24, 2018

Confirmed, I had a similar situation.

jetkins likes this.
  5. JamieG Oct 24, 2018

Now that you’ve damaged it; it’s worthless. Send it to me for safe keeping.

oddboy and jetkins like this.
  6. jetkins Oct 24, 2018

Austin, TX

7. jetkins Dec 29, 2018

Home from the doctor; my local AD’s in-house watchmaker installed a new crystal for $175+tax.

Glad to have him back!
    4175A78C-F0E1-4E85-9EE2-F38EC7507F56.jpeg

8. JamieG Dec 30, 2018

Looking good, still worthless, so you can still send it to me for safe keeping ;)

9. jetkins Dec 31, 2018

While I appreciate your generous offer, I must decline because I do so enjoy wearing this worthless piece of tat. ;)